main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The Official Darth Plagueis Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rogue_Follower, Jan 3, 2012.

1. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    It should be in paperback by now. I'd recommend the novel, personally. If your biggest concerns about it are money and Del Rey, I'd check and see if your local library has a copy.

fistofan1 likes this.
  2. Danz Borin

Danz Borin Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 16, 2012
    The paperback is due out Oct. 30.

Thats why I was asking if it comes with an extra short story or anything.

3. LarryG

LarryG Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 4, 2012
    Moral of the story: Being drunk with power and drunk with wine is a bad combination[face_party]

Especially if you have not slept in decades.

4. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    Just picked it up a couple days ago. 100 pages in and loving it. Haven't gotten this sucked into a Star Wars novel for quite some time now.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I can't speak to the paperback edition but the Kindle edition came with a preview for Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter.

6. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    Wow, just wow, this is the first Star Wars book I have read since, I don't know, I think Dark Saber and I am totally awed by how good it was. This novel even redeems TPM somewhat (would have loved this story as the real Episode I). I can not put in words how good a writer Luceno is. Will read his other novels ASAP. I hope that the guys at Disney realize this as well and try to get Luceno as an advisor of how to write the sequels with keeping the EU intact.

JackG and Summer Dreamer like this.
  7. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I read this, having caved in to peer pressure and the general air of positivity around this book.

Loved it.

Possibly the best EU I've ever read. This is the first EU book in a long time where I didn't need wookiepedia at the ready. Luceno deals with continuity issues in subtle unobtrusive ways, I'm sure there are details in there to keep the most obsessive fanatics happy but they didn't impinge on my enjoyment of a cracking good story.

One thing threw me at the beginning and continues to haunt me, why mention the carpet?

8. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    WHat's the short story?

9. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    *checks*

My paperback just has a couple of excerpts from 'Shadow Games' and 'The Old Republic: Annihilation'.

10. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Which is incredibly disappointing.

I expected the Darth Maul short stories, Restraint and End Game to be included. I already have the DP hardcover and I would have bought the paperback if it had anything I didn't already own .

Congratulations Del Ray, you missed out on a sale by not including those short stories.

11. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    End Game was in the reprinting of TPM novelization.

12. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    Just finished it. Easily one of the best EU contributions in recent years. Was impressed with how well that story fell right into step with the PT and connected everything in a logical and brilliant way.

13. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    I'm sure they will be crushed

V-2 likes this.
  14. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    To amend my previous post, Restraint was published in the reprinting of Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter.

15. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Shouldn't The Tenebrous Way be in the paperback?

16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe it should have been- but I didn't spot it.

17. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    I know I am going against the grain by saying this, but I will say it anyway because it is always good to have different points of view, results in a more intellectually enriched discussion ;) :

This novel completely and totally ruins TPM and numerous characters. (in the EU parallel universe ofcourse as stated by Lucas, as in the movies there were only 2 Sith in TPM and in the movie timeline Plaguies was likely killed 20-30 years prior to TPM by Siddy)

First, it makes Sidious look like a buffoon by having Plaguies talk down to him so many times and order him around. Sure Masters do that to apprentices but it demystifies the character. It should never have been done, at least not like this. We do NOT need to be shown every single thing about every single character.

-Sidious was apprenticed at too old an age IMO. I had, like many others I am sure, naturally assumed Sidious was apprenticed at a very young age, like he apprenticed Maul at a young age. It makes sense, apprentice someone when they are young and impressionable. This way you can mold them however you like. Also, there is more time to train them in combat, the dark side, politics, etc etc. Sidious converted Anakin at a latter age true, but that was due to circumstance: The Jedi already had him in their clutches. Also, the Jedi were training him anyway in the main requisites (i.e. Jedi and Sith arts), it's not like he was being taken to be trained as a tailor for 13 years. :p

-Plaguies was not an interesting character...or at least, Demask was not interesting. There was no need for Demask IMO. We already had a Sith who had a dual identity, now Luceno is making it that every Sith was like that, with Teneberous and Plagueis having dual identities? That is silly, as in the movies Vader and Maul were full time Sith. They did not have alternate roles. Neither did Dooku...his affiliations may have been a secret at the beginning when he had left the Jedi Order, but he swiftly revealed himself as a Sith. Furthermore, having alternate identities offers some other problems....

-For example, with Sidious/Palpatine in the movies I always wondered where the heck Sidious found time to train in Lightsaber combat to keep his skills up to date? He was Supreme Chancellor of an entire galaxy AND he was manipulating to take over the entire galaxy AND later on he had to manipulate two galactic wars at the same time. All of this surely takes up more time than your regular 9-5 job right? So where did he find time to practice his combat skills, which he showcased in ROTS, and also meditate on the mysteries of the Force (i.e. increase his skill and power in the Dark Side, Sith Lightning, etc etc however Sith Lords train that) We saw Yoda meditate all the time, while other Jedi, including Knights, Masters and Council Members take on all sorts of missions that undoubtedly keep their skill set up to date. There is a reason soldiers in the real world train daily, just like dedicated martial artists, because otherwise the body tends to forget what it learned.

-Plagueis tipping the balance of the Force was utterly ridiculous, I am sorry to say. How is that even possible? Why was such a huge event not mentioned in the movies (well we all know why but lets pretend otherwise in order to maintain sanity)? Why did the Jedi not detect this, at least not until the end of AOTC when Windu says to Yoda their ability to use the force had diminished? And what exactly was the benefit of this tipping point exactly to the Sith? Finally, this tipping thing goes against the established cannon of the Force, that both sides, Light and Dark are in harmony and both are equal, with neither one being stronger than the other (Yoda talking to Luke in ESB)

18. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    Umm did you watch the PT? It was all about how the force was out of balance and that a chosen one would bring balance back to the force. The issue with the Jedi having their ability diminished can actually be linked back to well before the Attack of the Clones. "I think it is time we inform the senate that our ability to use the force has diminished" - Mace Windu. This implies it has been an issue for quite some time, and that they have been debating for a good long while about how and when to bring it up. Look at some of the things they say in the Phantom Menace. "I agree. The Sith would not have returned without us sensing it." - Mace Windu. And yet the sith had returned without them knowing.As for the balance of light and dark. Lucas muddied those waters in the PT before Darth Plaguies did since he was the one who brought up the whole concept of the balance of the force being off from the beginning.

Your other issues are understandable since they really just come down to personal preference, and I can definitely see why it would bother some even if they didn't bother me. I do think your first point falls through the cracks a good deal especially when trying to defend against the argument of recruiting Anakin at a late age. Keep in mind he was also recruited at a very late age for the Jedi as well. A complaint on Sidious age in training could jsut as easily be leveled at Anakin. I understand your issues with it though, and it makes sense to me.

19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    17 is really not all that old for a Sith Lord just starting. It's older than Luke is in A New Hope.

Fleab88 likes this.
  20. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I'm glad Sidious was NOT trained from birth because if he was he would be evil because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time, not because he decided on his own to be evil.

I should also mention that Sidious was manipulating Plagueis from the very beginning.

dewback_rancher likes this.
  21. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    I wasn't left with an impression of Sidious as a patronised buffoon, quite the opposite. Plagueis came across as too compassionate and complacently trusting, if anything. Sidious came across as a more paranoid and insecure character than I'd considered him before, but I think that's one of the novel's strengths.

SaucySarlaac likes this.
  22. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    It happened before the timeframe of the movies. The Jedi weren't there, that's why they don't talk about it. However, they indicate that they know the Force is out of balance in TPM. About the only place it could have been mentioned would be if Palpatine told Vader about it, but he had no need to.

The fact that they were speaking of the Force needing to be balanced in TPM shows that they already had detected it before then. Also, the line about their diminished ability to use the Force is not from the end of AOTC. It is after Obi-Wan reports from Kamino.

23. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    I agree that the disruption of the Force's balance was poorly handled.

24. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    How was it poorly handled? It was just referenced, and Luceno said it's because Lucas was planning to show it in something else.

25. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    I thought it was perfectly ambiguous!

SaucySarlaac likes this.