main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "If You Seek His Monument, Look Around You" - The Man of Steel and Announced Sequel Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Nov 9, 2006.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Just watched the trailer. Not bad. It's no Superman Returns teaser, but, then, few trailers can even come close to that.

There's some nice visuals in the trailer- I love the far shot of him walking across the ice with the cape flowing behind him, as well as that final cape swoosh to black. Cavil sounds much better than I had expected based on his deliveries in Immortals. Actually sounds almost exactly like Brandon Routh. I'm not sure if Cavil's face really looks the part yet, though. Especially that shot at 2:11 into the trailer... I dunno, maybe it's the hair? It just doesn't look like Superman or Clark to me... though some potential is there.

2. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I'm expecting that the dialogue has been manipulated in editing -- there's obviously more to the conversation -- but the fact that the trailer is trying to give that impression at all is somewhat troubling. I certainly doubt that they're trying to give the opposite impression of what's actually in the movie, and there's also that bit of dialogue about his dad not thinking that people would accept him, which seems to imply that Jonathan died believing that Clark would be an outcast, rather than believing in Superman and coming to accept, much less encourage, Clark using his powers to do the right thing.

Fundamentally, I have no problem with the Kents struggling with the issue of what would happen to Clark, and I hope the movie does tackle that well -- I'm just sort of worried that they're going a direction where Clark has to overcome his parents' fearfulness to embrace his destiny, rather than his upbringing being a positive factor in why he became Superman. Jonathan and Martha should be an asset, not an obstacle, to his development as Superman. That's sort of the whole point of the wholesome Smallville upbringing -- that he was taught by salt-of-the-earth parents to do the right thing, which inspired him to take responsibility for his powers and use them for good. Even if they're still basically good, decent people, to have them be fearful parents who encourage him to hide his light, as it were, does that portion of his story a disservice. I'm not saying for sure that that's the direction they're taking, just that it sort of looks like they're going that way and I'd prefer they didn't.

3. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Just to recap, we're discussing the motivations of characters based on out of context snippits of dialogue in a trailer (yes, yes, I know me in the Star Trek thread and all that). This movie looks at least partially inspired by Birthright, and Birthright had a reluctant Pa Kent.

Personally, I like Clark being raised by decent but flawed people who managed to instill a sense of good in him despite their faults as much as I like any version of who his parents are.

Besides it's one word and it's delivered with hesitance and uncertainty and we don't even know what happens directly before and after. Although, interesting question: Is Jonathan Kent a good man, or is he some kind of saint? He can be a good man and still be unsure about what his son should and shouldn't do.

Life likes this.
  4. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    I did. In fact, I have it at home. A crazy rollercoaster music video ride filled to the brim with lovely filmmaking.

I cannot say the same for The Dark Knight Rises which increased the worst problems BB and TDK had ten-fold.
    One of the biggest would have to be the empty characters, like Alfred, who's sole purpose, especially in the last one was to churn out ham-fisted pep talk to Bruce and repeat plot expositions to the audience. Beyond that, there was nothing to him, like with Emma Pages' character in Inception.
    Compare Alfred to the Scott Glenn as the Wise Man in Sucker Punch, who delivered short bursts of motivation to the protagonist and beyond that didn't claim to be a fully fleshed out character.

The action in Nolan's movie has been awkwardly to terribly stages (save for the sword fight in BB, the truck collapse on main street and the hospital destruction in TDK). Nolan proved to be very clumsy in TDKR with script inconsistencies, plot holes, out of character moments and over explaining everything except for things that truly matter. Generally, TDK and TDKR suffered majorly from having too many story threads intertwined, resulting in an convoluted mess.
    Funniest thing, I did enjoy Bane in. Even the fairly silly voice grew on me pretty quickly.
    But the fact remains, these three films lack the kind of storytelling subtleties they pride themselves with.

Yes Nolanites, I went there. I criticised your overrated god. Muahahahaha!
    (No offense to those who do enjoy and appreciate these films for what they are- I just expressed a much needed counter-viewpoint to weigh out those fanatic worshippers.)

Anyway, back to Man of Steel. I cannot wait to see Michael Shannon and Amy Adams in this. Love the screen presence both actors have in whatever they are in.

Darth-Lando likes this.
  5. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Sucker Punch was apparently made to appeal my inner 13 year old self, but mine* is apparently too sophisticated for Snyder's bland melange of 1990s music videos, nubile eye candy and stuff people like ironically (Nazis! Samurai! Robots!). Who knew.

I'm not expecting anything from this movie. I'm not fooled by the use of All-Star Superman dialogue in the first teaser. I'm expecting emptiness and noise, the delirium of a hipster Michael Bay, just like the rest of Snyder's filmography. Anything better than that, and I will be gratefully surprised.

*not only mine, 24% on RottenTomatoes and all that...

AaylaSecurOWNED, tom and Life like this.
  6. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Iron Man, Captain America, & Thor say "hi."

Adam of Nuchtern likes this.
  7. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Regarding Batman Begins: the worst part about that movie, imo, was the sound editing. There were so many parts where the dialogue simply couldn't be heard (like the sword fighting scene on the ice--Ras was clearly saying something important, but you just couldn't really make it out). And again in the monorail finale, when Batman grunts, "You never learned to mind your surroundings!" That sound in that scene is so awful. It almost sounds as though it was recorded outside of that shot. And there's the fact that the dialogue used there makes no sense, because Ras didn't really set Bruce up to use that verbal jab. Ras was a master of his surroundings. He just missed one thing (ie. Bruce destroying the monorail's controls). That in itself doesn't warrant an invitation for that silly line.

As for Man of Steel, I agree that the trailer music is very grating. Very uninspiring. But overall, the film looks promising. I'm still somewhat disappointed that Routh couldn't get cast as Superman again. He did an outstanding job in Superman Returns, imo. And while that film was severely flawed, it had some good themes (does humanity need a savior, is Superman a modern day Jesus, etc). I think the scene where Kumar was beating the crap out of Superman is about where most viewers got annoyed with what was going on there.

Still, Routh himself was fantastic.

8. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    I think where most people got annoyed with Returns was in its listless drifting, its fetishization of the Donner film and its lack of interest in anything exciting actually happening. Routh was really good, but I think he was a little slight in the role, probably because the movie let him down at every turn. And still, if you're starting over from scratch, which they needed to do, then you definitely recast.

9. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I'm not criticizing WB for casting a new lead for a totally new reboot. I just think Routh deserved better than he got.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  10. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    He played a recurring character in Chuck! How better can you get?

Spider-Fan likes this.
  11. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    also kevin spacey kevin spaceying it up.

12. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I was annoyed that Superman's kid killed a dude with a piano.

13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm not really a fan of the second one (note: I haven't seen the Donner cut yet) because of the overuse of slapstick. Yes, I know III does it too at a more obnoxious level, but I never got around to seeing III or IV. I thought Returns was very good even though the villain's motivations were I-)

14. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    WRONG

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  15. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I liked Superman Returns though as a whole it was simply not as charismatic as the Chris Reeves films. I would have preferred it never be made so Singer could have done X-3.

16. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    You do realize that Bruce was quoting a line that Ras had used on him during their training together, at a similar moment when one thought he had bested the other only to discover he'd actually fallen into a trap? That the role reversal is at least suggestive of the fact that the one-time master has been eclipsed? I'll grant you it wasn't brilliant. But it was perfectly understandable, and not a problem in the way you are describing.

17. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Dude, Spacey was the best thing about that film.

Say what you want about Superman Returns, it's still miles away better than the shelved one WB/DC had with Nick Cage as Supes (have we forgotten that near - miss disaster?!).

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  18. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    I thought the trailer was epic overall. I totally buy Cavill as Clark. Near the end of The Tudors, he was able to imbue his character with some real empathy and sincerity. I've loved his work...even the meandering Immortals.

Plus it has Russell Crowe! Russell Crowe! That man is a great actor.

Great cinematography shown in the trailer. The flight sequence was stirring to me.

Re Jonathan kent. I don't see his comments as hesitant it's just the natural response of a parent to the risks his or her child faces as they grow up. I am sure both he and Martha are highly concerned about what the response to Clark's powers would be if they were fully revealed. I am sure he's just concerned. He's also worried about Clark taking on the burden of choosing who lives or dies. I imagine he's worried that it might be too much for a young boy who is alone in a by unique way. The fact that Clark takes that responsibility and burden is a testament to the morality Jonathan and Martha taught him in his youth. I also interpreted the trailer as showing the earth parents as very empathetic and loving parents, concerned about everything Clark has to deal with.

GenAntilles likes this.
  19. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I honestly can't understand how can anyone not like Zimmer's GLADIATOR score. It is simply absolutely perfect.

GenAntilles likes this.
  20. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Maybe because if I wanted to watch Gladiator, I would watch Gladiator?

21. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    Maybe it's a quibble, but it doesn't make sense for Bruce to say "never learned." Of course he learned. He just forgot that one time.

22. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I'm with you on this. I mean, Routh - god he looked like Reeve. But it just never took my breath away. I'm of the generation that was kids when this movie was a massive slice of pop culture so I grew up on the Donner film. The nostalgia that Returns aimed for was nice, but we didn't need it.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

24. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    Luckily this is only a trailer (a medium which often uses music from other films) and not the film itself, which will almost certainly not be scored to Gladiator.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Gladiator used the theme music from Conan the Barbarian for it's trailer, so it's only fair that it's own music be used for trailers.