main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    I love Tolkien's books. I love Peter Jackson's movies. I simply view the movies as an alternate universe. Kinda like Marvel and their adaptations of "Iron Man", et al, for film. No less awesome, just a little different.

2. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
  3. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Now this would be two threads that I frequent that are discussing LotR. :p

4. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    My sister-in-law's gerbil bit me today. My finger is killing me. I got it cleaned and disinfected and everything, but it's still swollen and bruised. Those little suckers can really bite.

5. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
    My mother worked at a pet store when I was really young. All I really remember about it was being stuck late at my babysitter's because she had to make a late-night trip to the hospital for a tetanus shot after being bitten by a hamster. Apparently they can really latch on. I think she was spared the wrath of gerbils though.

6. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    It might be easier if I list off the things that haven't bitten me...

7. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I just had a fun b-day party. Dantanaskywalker made the cake, which was VERY chocolate. I made cookies and cupcakes and had normal food as well. We played games, laughed a lot, did face-painting. I still look like a tiger.

8. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Agreed. I have the same view of the Harry Potter books and films too, and most adaptations it would seem. I think there has only been one adaptation that I've seen that's been a very good adaptation. Most have been good films in their own right though, so it's not all bad.

9. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I love movies 1, 2, 5, 6, 7 and 8 for Harry Potter. It's a shame they wrecked my favorite book of the series. My favorite book-to-screen adaptation has been The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe.

10. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    I've learned a long time ago to never expect a book to be adapted 100% to screen and just enjoy the film. Saves me a lot of frustration in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jcgoble3 likes this.
  11. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Especially for Stephen King books.

12. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Thank goodness someone else besides me does that! Seriously, they're two entirely different mediums.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  13. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    I know that you can't expect books to be 100% the same when adapted to movies. You just can't get the complexities of inner thoughts in a visual medium like you can in a book. Also, sometimes technical things are just too hard to put certain things in the movie that are described in the book unless they have a larger budget. For example, they tried to put Peeves into the Harry Potter movies, but it just didn't work out (at least he was mentioned). However, there are certain things that should not be tampered with. For example, The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, though I liked the overall movie, they switched the personalities of the two older children, Peter and Susan. In the book, Peter was domineering and Susan the one who tried to hold him back, telling him he was being too hard on Edmund and that he was actually making the situation worse. In the movie, Susan was the bossy one, and Peter was basically telling her to chill. I just can't understand why they made that switch.

14. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    Have you read/seen the '94 mini-series of The Stand? For how long that book is, I thought they did an excellent job with it. Even if Molly Ringwald is really annoying.

15. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I think I pretty much said I do that too. :p

FWIW, Jack Higgin's Thunder Point is a really good adaptation. They did skip a few bits, but overall it's generally good. That's not much good if you don't like Jack Higgins or have never read the book.

16. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    That was okay, but you see my point...King's books are so long and detailed you need a mini-series to tell the story. Now I liked the movie Carrie, but that is the only movie I saw before I read the book.

17. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    Only series I've seen but haven't read is the Game of Thrones HBO series. Dunno how true it is to the books. I stopped watching it when Sean Bean's character died. Thought he was the better character and the rest meh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    Yeah, I saw The Stand before I read it, which probably makes me less critical of the adaptation.
    Though I did see The Shining before I read it and the book is so incredibly superior, so maybe not, lol.

19. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    I just got tapatalk for my son's iPod and am using it now to make my 1st post with the new app.

'k, now I'm confusled. I thought I was using tapatalk. o_O

20. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    One of these days I'll have to try all these aps and things. But I just don't have time for another thing to do. All my costume-making is getting in the way of my fan-fic writing. Then there's mundane work, but that has at least been interesting lately.

21. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I wonder... would that ap work for my dumbphone? I've posted on forums with my phone a few times, but I haven't used an ap. My phone isn't smart. I'm just trying to fool it into thinking that it is.

22. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    Because it didnt leave the sig that mine does? I think you have to enable that.

23. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Les Mis adaptations are aweome, on the subject of books turned into other things. I love the musical, I love the Liam Neeson version. I'm going to love the musical movie version.

24. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Why would you want to enable it? It makes me want to stab tapatalk! :p

25. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    Until they come up with a reliable voice-to-text conversion program, I'm sticking to my PC.

On the subject of adaptations, my generic piece of advice is as follows: If you like the original, go ahead and watch it. If you love the original, stay away at all costs.

Mind you, I'm lousy at following my own advice. Still, watching a poor adaptation makes my muse go into overdrive (This scene could use some fleshing out. That character needs a better motive. Whatever happened to obscure fact #57?) so I suppose I shouldn't complain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.