main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    This so much

Julius Vernon likes this.
  2. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    Sorry I didn't notice this before I basically echoed it.

3. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    Also all the $ spent on the books and comics......

On that note I'm going to buy all the Bantam books I'm missing and the NJO because with their invalidation they won't be reprinted, hence will become collectors items.

4. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    :oops:

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I agree. With Disney's purchase of LFL, their new philosophy is going to be "we don't like money anymore" so they will stop producing best-selling products.

6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    But CANON!!

7. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    My mantra is EU is inspiration yet not doctrine.
    Good things from the Post RotJ EU:
    Mara Jade
    Ben Skywalker
    Jacen Solo
    Jaina Solo
    Anakin Solo
    Lowbacca
    Thrawn
    Zekk
    Tenel Ka
    Jagged Fel
    Kyle Katarn
    Corran Horn
    Mirax Terrik Horn
    Booster Terrik
    Valin Horn
    Syal Antilles
    Myri Antilles
    Jysella Horn
    The Yuuhzhan Vong
    Clighal
    Saba
    Tesar
    Alema Rar
    Lumiya
    Kyp Durron

Must I go on?
    Yeah there are some sour spots in the EU. Things we can gloss over. I doubt Thrawn will get any screen time as he is long dead. But after the Emperor, he was the only other major threat to the birthing New Republic. I don't expect them to reference the whole EU. Chances are there will be things that will not be ruined even if they change the Solo Kids or make Luke a hermit (which makes NO sense), Thrawn Trilogy will still be there, the Jedi Academy Trilogy could exist within reason, save for Jacen protecting Luke from the Yavin bat/bird things. Most of Bantam would be safe. That being said, I expect characters to regress, Ben may be made an apprentice again. Jaina will be a Knight again. I kind of hope they keep the EU in tact, I feel as though Mara's death was planned during NJO, that LotF was designed to kill off excess characters. Having 2 Solo kids, each with a romance, plus Ben and his romance is a tall order. Yet having Ben and Jaina plus Jag, expect the droids to come back in strength, maybe one of the wookiees (maybe the return of Chewie) Warroo or Lowie. I think Jag's ship is going to be the "icon ship" like the Falcon in the OT. I hope Ben flys a starfighter, something he doesn't do much of, unlike everyone else in his family. Maybe something more like the Jedi Starfighters of the PT. I would like to see Corran, Kyle, Clighal, and maybe Kyp on Luke's council. If they go to the no council route, then have Clighal as Master Healer, Corran as Luke's advisor, and Kyle as the Jedi Soldier he always was, and if they bring in Kyp, as the rogue he was in the early NJO. I fully expect that PT species will flood the Jedi Order, with background or master Nautolans, Togruta, Cereans. Some diversity will be a welcomed thing in the largely human order. Lastly, part of me wants to see a young one of Yoda's species to find his way into Luke's Jedi Order.

8. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    I don't think lesser things like Valin and Tesar will make the movies, but they will go largely untouched by the films allowing for them to exist in the EU still. Yet let me raise this question, if Luke decides to make be monastic to build the new order does that mean that all Jedi will be monastic or will Corran still be married with kids?

9. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Kyle Katarn is not post-ROTJ EU. His first chronicled adventure started before ANH. His existence is safe. [face_peace]

10. jedimaster203

jedimaster203 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 19, 1999
    I think we're going to have to come to terms with the fact that this IS going to affect current canon. There is no way that they're going to bring in some hollywood director and screenwriter who can process 20 years of EU into a two hour movie and have it all make sense. Hopefully, they won't ignore the EU completely, but we're fulls if we think there will be a full incorporation of it.

I hope I'm wrong, even though I've not been a big fan of the newer books. I don't want everything I've experienced through Star Wars to be invalidated by this. I think what will happen is some sort of soft continuity reboot, ala DC's New 52. Perhaps not the best example out there, but they pulled it off in a way that kept at much of their core continuity (at least in GL and Batman comics). A lot of times a universe becomes so cumbersome that you can't avoid this.

11. Brenapp

Brenapp Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    God, I hope it's not like DC's New 52.

12. jedimaster203

jedimaster203 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 19, 1999
    I say DC's new 52 because it the closest analogy for the partial reboot thing. I actually don't think it was done too bad, but I'm only a casual comics reader. I normally stick to Batman, which was largely untouched. It did reallign the timeline in a way that is more coherent in the universe.

Perhaps what I should have said was that it should be done more akin to the batman reboot within the DCnU.

13. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Exactly. Even if they do reboot, they'll still continue to milk the old stuff until there's enough new stuff to replace it with. They won't just decide on day one: "Let's scrap everything and only make money from that one new book that we've released so far."

That's why they're still publishing Clone Wars and Marvel stuff: if people still want to buy it, they're not going to stop taking their money.

14. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Well, the Prequel Order was monastic and didn't allow marriage and procreation, which is why Anakin's family plan was such an outrageous event.

Yeah, all Jedi families in the EU should be pretty safe.

Wait, they'll go back in time and negate all the enjoyment and posession I had of these books and comics without refunding me in the past? WAAAAALT!

With Disney, canon go boom.
    (By the way, I actually found a video that had "with a little help of a canon" [sic!] in its description...)

CooperTFN likes this.
  15. Foltliss

Foltliss Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 19, 2010
    There are plenty of ways they can get through the ST without invalidating canon. I think if anything out there is safe, it's the non-monastic life of the Jedi Order.

The best way to do it is to set Episode VII right after Crucible. Let Luke, Leia, and Han rest on their laurels while the kids and grandkids solve the galaxy's problems. Maybe let the Big Three die already.

Pass the torch on to the new generation. There are enough existing characters that you don't need to replace or edit them. You want a Knight/apprentice combo team? A lot of people are suggesting Jaina/Ben, but I'd like to see Ben/Allana. It's time she was trained as a Jedi. That also would tie in nicely with the rumors of a female lead. That gives us plenty of similarity to the previous films - the Master/apprentice dynamic, the Jedi/Princess dynamic. Just throw in a scoundrel and it's gold.

At the end of the day, we still know nothing about the Sequel Trilogy. Until we know more, all we can do is drive each other crazy with speculation and ideas. Which I am not opposed to.

16. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Katarn is the Alpha and the Omega. His existence was never threatened

Zorrixor and GrandMasterKatarn like this.
  17. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Frankly, I'm banking on the "movieverse" option, with the new movies completely separate from the EU and no attempt to reconcile them, with the occasional details crossing between - you know, like the Marvel movies. Hopefully they'll take the CWAS with them and settle a number of continuity problems right there.

Reboot implies that DC had some form of continuity to begin with. DC was attempting to actually create a coherent universe, which would be great if they didn't have two or three failed attempts at it in the last 20 years.

I am amused by comic fans who snicker at Marvel saying NOW! isn't a reboot, because...well, because it isn't a reboot. (Special bonus points for those who hold up the difference between Deadpool in the new series and the radically different Deadpool towards the end of the old series as proof it's really a "reboot", without paying attention to what happened in the final issue).

JoinTheSchwarz and Esg like this.
  18. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    The problem with that is that fans are going to want to read more about the heroes they saw in the movies (basically the entire purpose of the EU to begin with), and disney are not going to avoid publishing EU books which link to the movies canon rather than pre-existing EU, for just that reason

19. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i know i am off topic, but it can't seem to find the thread. Has anyone read "The life and times of Obi-Wan Kenobi?" Just wondering if it worth a pick up.

20. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    You mean like with Avengers and X-Men?

Esg likes this.
  21. CaptainPeabody

CaptainPeabody Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 15, 2008
    There's a big difference between "affect" and "destroy." The EU survived the prequels, which contradicted a whole lot of stuff and required a great deal of retcons, but was changed forever in the process. The question is if it will be able to survive the new trilogy at all, not if it will require retconning and adaptation.

22. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    If I have to choose the lesser of two evils... Bring on the retcons.

23. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    I mean like with Star Wars

24. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    This sounds like an excellent option. Take TCW by all means movieverse!!! [face_chicken]

Esg and TrakNar like this.
  25. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    I mean like Marvel continuing their comics unabated despite that much more people saw the movies than buy comics, with only limited tie-ins to the movies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.