main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I posted this quote once before, but it's still rattling around in my head...the more I look at it, the more I think we might all be pleasantly surprised.

We're all so used to George having utterly zero concern for continuity, but let's really take an unbiased look at TCW for a second--this is the only example we have of them taking other writers in to work directly with George on a major, functionally (if not officially) G-Canon story, and everything we've seen so far suggests people willing, or even eager, to work with and utilize the EU. Their only real crime, ostensibly, is that they're also perfectly willing to overwrite EU when George personally insists on it, which he often has. I would argue that the same would be true of any EU author if it came to that, but that's a separate topic. The point is, think about TCW as it's been done so far, then take George out of the equation.

Michael Arndt, granted, is operating on a different level than Dave Filoni, but I can only really see two approaches here for him: either take Lucas' outline and completely do his own thing with it--in which case, who gives a crap what the encyclopedias say--or do his best to use what's there. I'm not saying there wouldn't still be problems, but the fact that the reference material is even remotely involved makes me optimistic.

In fact, I think at this point I'm more worried about holdovers from the Lucas outline than anything Arndt or Disney introduce. If we do get celibate Luke or living Chewie, I bet that's how it'll happen.

2. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    You bring up an excellent point, Coop. TCW has shown that there is a willingness to "mine" the EU for great ideas, concepts, characters, vehicles, etc. To be honest, the reason TCW gets a bad rap is because we (ie, the EU fans) all want it to fit perfectly with what was established in the novels & comics. However, now that we know there will be a Sequel Trilogy that will by all indications invalidate the EU and give us a new official canon, we rightly should take hope from the fact that TCW shows that George and other writers do look to the EU as a source for ideas, concepts, and the like.

I agree with you 100% that this should be viewed as an encouraging sign, not a negative.

--Adm. Nick

son_of_skywalker03 likes this.
  3. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    i know exactly what you meant

I mean Star Wars is a completely different kettle of fish, comparing it to marvel comics is like comparing apples and oranges

4. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    What indications? It has no implications and your just going by TCW which didn't even dent the EU as a whole

5. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    I'd say it's like comparing apples and a kettle of fish. :p

6. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    It's actually called "The life and Legend of Obi Wan Kenobi"

7. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    if you think it's gonna take place after the post rotj novels ended... you gotta remember 90+ percent of the people watching have never read an eu book in their life..

8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Yeah, so? The only things they need to know are (1) Luke is a widower with a kid, (2) Han and Leia had offspring, (3) the Rebels succeeded in forming a new galactic government.

9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    That's simple enough

10. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I don't think the ST is gonna take place after the novels because they don't want to contradict them; I think it's gonna take place after the novels because Fisher and Hamill couldn't play a day under 60.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  11. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Makes perfect sense to me, and I'll go along with it.

JackG, RC-1991 and Esg like this.
  12. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    The main problem with having those 2 in it is how fat they are. It would seriously contradict the characters of Luke and Leia IMO if they rock up in Episode 7 as fat as they are IRL

13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    :rolleyes:

See really recent pics... not that bad. They have a couple years to shape up. And it's not like they'll be the main heroes.

14. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Here's the thing about actors and celebrities and producers who want to use them:

They get personal trainers. :p

15. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    at their age, they'd need to be getting paid big bucks to put that sort of effort in.

Which i guess they would . . . but you'd have to take their health into consideration, it would be a risk to use some of the compounds a lot of hollywood stars use to get in shape.

A better option would probably be CG modification to make them look fitter . . . and minimising their action scenes

16. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    You would be amazed at what a good exercise program and diet would do in a relatively short amount of time.

17. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Stick Leia in Padme's hand-me-down robes: done.

Stick Luke in a big baggy poncho robe: done.

TrakNar likes this.
  18. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Ray Winstone:
    [​IMG]

Ray Winstone in Beowulf:
    [​IMG]

It's gonna happen.

Zorrixor likes this.
  19. Chimpo_the_Sith

Chimpo_the_Sith Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 15, 2003
    Did you just compare real person to a CGI character?

20. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Looks like it. [face_plain]

21. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Was listening to a bunch of randos speculating that the ST was probably going to be TTT. Ahhh, what innocence the uninitiated have. :p

GrandMasterKatarn likes this.
  22. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    you'd be amazed how many orders of magnitude greater the effectiveness of exercise and diet becomes when coupled with appropriate pharmacotherapy

that was the point i think

Ulicus likes this.
  23. Brenapp

Brenapp Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    Let me put it this way: If these new movies render everything from after ROTJ up to the end of the Bantam era apocryphal, I will disavow the films as apocryphal. :)

Darth_Foo and FatSmel like this.
  24. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005

instantdeath likes this.
  25. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    How do you sleep at night?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.