main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Isnt Anakin a bit too young for Padme?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Luisiana Jones, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Luisiana Jones

Luisiana Jones Jedi Youngling

Nov 22, 2012
    Well as the title says ive always wondered how this relationship developed itself... i mean he's a kid in TPM and boom Amidala remains young and pretty while he quickly blossoms into a strong young man xD

I always thought it didnt make much sense...

AusStig and Cynicalx like this.
  2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I thought it was a bit strange for a 12-13 year old Padme to have feelings for a 9 year old Anakin in TPM. It didn't really bother me, though.

In AOTC, he was 19 so I was cool with it. It is a bit like a babysitter hooking up with the kid she babysat, but I'm sure that happens all the time.

Cynicalx and Chainmail_Jedi like this.
  3. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    4 years is not a big deal once you're over twenty. Besides, Portman and Christensen are the same age so you kind of forget it.

I think the difference was there to imply oedipus complex on Anakin's part. Shmi and Padme even resemble each other somewhat (although it could have been a coincidence).

4. Felicia

Felicia Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    As strange as this may sound I believe that Padme just felt sorry for Anakin in the Phantom Menace. He was a little kid on that ship on the way to Coruscant sitting with droids by a window pretty much depressed about Shimi. She went to him to comfort him. After all Anakin had already somewhat laid the ground work by calling her an "Angel" from the moons of Lego. The sad part is she had the necklace he gave her at the end of Revenge of the Sith at her funeral. What this tells me is that is when she started to really care about him. That Anakin was gone as he was consumed by Darth Vader.

5. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    I think this sentiment most likely stems from confusion about their ages. I've seen people think that Anakin is supposed to be 6 and that Padmé is as old as 18 in TPM. Which would make them 16 and 28 by the time AOTC rolls around. That, yes, would be rather unsettling. However, Anakin is 9 in TPM and Padmé is 14. So they only have 4 to 5 years between them. And I don't think it's problematic in that regard. I've frequently seen relationships between 21 year old women and 27 year old men. Or 22 year old women and 30 year old men. So I don't consider Anakin "too young" for Padmé if he's 19 and she's 24, to be honest.

It's just that the older man-younger woman dynamic is much more common so people don't usually think anything of it.
    Hence why people seem to ignore the 10-year age gap between Han Solo and Leia (and the 14 year age gap between their actors). And Leia wasn't much older than Anakin when she became involved with Han.

6. TheMadHatter

TheMadHatter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2009
    I thought it was a bit strange for a 12-13 year old Padme to have feelings for a 9 year old Anakin in TPM. It didn't really bother me, though.

-------

she didn't..

it wasn't until AOTC she had "feelings" (if you meant it in that way) for him

"..since you came back into my life"

7. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Opinion noted. I respectfully disagree.

8. TheMadHatter

Sep 16, 2009
    care to post some of your opinions, quotes on why you disagree?

(no that wasn't me being an *** just genuinly interested if I missed something from TPM)

V-2 and ILNP like this.
  9. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    I don't see Padme's feelings in TPM go beyond friendship or affection she'd feel for a younger brother.

10. TheMadHatter

Sep 16, 2009
    that's what I got from TPM.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Wasn't Leia a bit too young for Han? After all, he was 11 years older than she was. Padme was only five years older than Anakin.

Oh, right, I forgot. The woman can't be older. Or something.

They're both adults in AOTC and they're only five years apart so how was he too young exactly? TPM was just there to show the start of a friendship that would become more than that when they became adults.

12. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I'm a whopping six years older than my wife. I'm glad she'll be around when I need help getting dressed in about thirty years. :p

But yeah, don't see the issue here. It'd actually be strange if Anakin was the same age/older-a big part of padme's role is keeping his paranoia in check. Younger people usually don't do that for people who are older than them. :p

kainee and Order66Survivor like this.
  13. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    The only thing that gets me is how Anakin has feelings for a woman he hasn't seen in over 10 years...

14. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Shrugs. Infatuation and projection can keep you going and going and going. It seems more realistic for a guy who's basically living in a monastery to get wrapped around a woman like that; plus of course Anakin's literally known he was going to marry her one day since he was 10.

15. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    But he had loads of Jedi females that must have crossed his path. What makes padme special?

16. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    I'm sure all the Jedi females were equally uninterested. :p

17. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    That's one of the things that could have worked better if Lucas had stuck to his original plan of having a 12 year old Anakin. A boy who's just going through puberty meets a slightly older, beautiful girl, unlike anyone he'd seen before... It's natural he has on crush on her that continues through his teenage years in the restrictive environment of the Jedi Order.

18. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    yeah the whole "I've been a bit besotted with for 10 years thing" is odd in a way.

Especially since Jdi can apparently sleep with anyone

I look at it in a "will of the force kind of way"

it was a force bond between them in order for Leia and Luke to be born.

kainee and DarthBoba like this.
  19. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Sex isn't love, Sistros. Come on now. :p

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    It looks like I may be one of few who didn't take the whole "I've thought nothing of her for 10 years" statement completely literally.

I don't think he was "besotted." Anakin was a 10-year-old slave kid who had probably never been given the time of day by a woman (other than Shmi) who had taken a bath recently, much less a woman who ruled another planet. I'm trying to imagine what it was like for such a kid who almost never got any positive attention, to be told by the Queen of a planet that his handmade protocol droid was "perfect." Then later, when he was scared ****less over having left his mother behind permanently, Padme was the only one who asked him what was going on and listened when he told her.

She was literally the only one in his life at that time, other than his mother, who acknowledged that he was a person and not either just a slave or just a potential Force user with a ridiculous midichlorian count. And as one of the youngest Queens ever to rule Naboo and one who was immediately asked to serve in the Senate afterwards, Padme was probably on the Holonet quite a bit. I'd be more surprised if Anakin didn't think about her, and yes, fantasize over her some. But I wouldn't go so far as to say he was obsessed or "besotted." In his case, the beginning of AOTC was similar to finally meeting one's celebrity crush in person.

21. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    eh i still go by the force bond thing :p

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I have no issue with the idea that they had some unexplainable connection from the outset, I think that happens. But I also think there are other explanations for why he might have made his comments early in AOTC.

ILNP likes this.
  23. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    I don't mind that. ROTS bears it out to some degree with their seeming telepathic contact when Anakin is ordered to stay in the temple.

kainee likes this.
  24. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    [​IMG]

windu4 and DarthBoba like this.
  25. Jedifirefly5

Jedifirefly5 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    Her feelings are empathy, kindness, sympathy for his difficult path, gratitude for what he did for her planet and her personally. he was selfless and brave and she admired him, he was a special child.