main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC ~*~ The Ewan McGregor Fan Club of the JCC ~*~

Discussion in 'Community' started by Quarantine, Mar 19, 2002.

1. serendipityaey

serendipityaey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2004
    Hmm, Velvet Goldmine is on Netflix and I have Netflix on my phone... Just imagine that at my fingertips any time I want...

2. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Well, I "skimmed" that movie and didn't really find anything that exciting about it (the mistake may have been in skimming). A LOT of Ewan's earlier films are not really my cup of tea, just, maybe, eye candy.

3. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    It's ok to admit it, Gkilkenny, we're all guilty of that (or almost that) at some point, considering some of Ewan's movies :p[face_rofl]

Val: look closer! There's a singing scene that's well worth it, if u havent seen it. Wearing-only-leather-pants-that-later-get-removed kinda worth it [face_devil]

4. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    About how far into the movie?

5. Veloz

Aug 30, 2004
    Well, i'm at work and dont have a player or the movie with me, but just google "TV Eye".... it has to be on youtube ;). Make sure ur alone in the room though [face_laugh]

6. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    New trailer for Jack the Giant Slayer and lots of Ewan in it!!

7. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    Hi guys sorry I didn't get back to you and no I haven't been sitting here all week drooling over the stage performance in Velvet. However, here is a few answers to your questions Val and Velos.

Val

Let's see how much attention Geri was paying: okay, what was the marker on the DVD, or scene #? I'm sure you didn't pause and rewind, uh huh, yeah, right?

Not sure what you mean about markers but the glitter was a nice touch and that ‘bod” looks better as he gets older. Although I can’t confirm it in its entirety.[face_laugh]

Velos

She broke her dvd (or blu-ray player), that's how many times she paused and rewinded

Yes I have rewound it several times but not as much as I watched, rewound, and paused the DVD when he was a padawan in star wars.

Val

@Gkilkenny: confirm or deny Veloz's post, 'k?

I do have most of his movies and some of them are not that memorable including Velvet.

Val

Well, I "skimmed" that movie and didn't really find anything that exciting about it (the mistake may have been in skimming). A LOT of Ewan's earlier films are not really my cup of tea, just, maybe, eye candy.

I agree Val I only watch for the eye candy value.

Velos

It's ok to admit it, Gkilkenny, we're all guilty of that (or almost that) at some point, considering some of Ewan's movies

Yep admitting it.

About how far into the movie about 40 minutes.

Veloz likes this.
  8. Veloz

Aug 30, 2004
  9. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Damn...=P~

...faints...

10. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    Yes I agree... He looks... Just... Guh. That grey suit!!! His eyes! Ahhh!

11. Veloz

Aug 30, 2004
    I know, right? Just when i think i like him better with a beard he shaves, puts on a suit and does this to me [face_love]

Oh god, and now i get even more suited, sexy Ewan pictures notifications =P~

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    "I'm sexy and i know it..."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Naomi: "Ewan please, you look too hot... tone it down or you're gonna kill these women!"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let's end this with a huge grin one :D

[​IMG]

12. Veloz

Aug 30, 2004
    Ok seriously, i have to make another post [face_love]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Love this one [face_laugh]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    Ahhh, they're all so good! Thanks. I love his laugh and he's so annoyingly cute with Eve! Arghh! Lol :D

14. Veloz

Aug 30, 2004
    I know, right? U want to hate her, but u cant, cause they're both sooo cute together awww =D= and his laugh/smile is probably what i find the most charming about him (and those eyes, who am i kidding [face_batting]).

serendipityaey likes this.
  15. Veloz

Aug 30, 2004
    Oh my lol http://www.contactmusic.com/news/ewan-mcgregor-crashes-brand-new-motorcycle_3416024

Ewan Mcgregor - Ewan Mcgregor Crashes Brand-new Motorcycle

12 December 2012

Actor Ewan Mcgregor has wrecked his brand newmotorcycle in Los Angeles.
    The Big Fish star was cruising around on his chopper a few weeks ago when he took a nasty spill and banged up his precious ride.
    A concerned passerby notified the police, and MCGregor confesses he was mortified when a fleet of first responders arrived at the scene tosurvey the accident.
    He tells U.S. Tv host Jay Leno, "I made a real idiot of myself. I was in front of my mate Craig, we were two minutes away from my house... and we were going into a left hand (lane). And when you get the side stand on the ground, it sprays sparks up behind you, and that looks really cool. But what doesn't look so cool is when you follow the sparks and the bike slides out that way, which is what happened to me, 'cause I sort of pivoted the bike on the side stand 'til the wheels came off the road...
    "It slid nicely and I thought, 'Ok, it's not too bad, I didn't hurt myself very much,'... and then the bike went boom - so it... damaged both sides of this expensive and really beautiful motorbike.
    "(Then) a jogger ran up... and said, 'Are you Ok? Are you Ok?' And I said, 'I'm fine, thank you very much,' and so I pulled the bike around the corner - I didn't want any paparazzi. I thought, 'This is embarrassing enough as it is'. And I guess the jogger phoned the police and said, 'There's a guy that's had an accident'. So, two seconds (later) around the corner, a fire engine arrived, the sheriff, and the cops. All three. It was a triple whammy. Literally, they said, 'Are you Ok?' I said, 'I'm fine,' (and) they went, 'Can we get a picture?'"
    However, the thrill-seeking actor insists all is not lost: "It's (bike) being fixed as we speak in Brooklyn (New York)."
    MCGregor's biking escapades have become legendary - he filmed two globe-trekking Tvdocumentary series with pal and fellow motorbike enthusiast Charley Boorman.
    --------------------------------------------
    Another small interview: http://www.deadline.com/2012/12/oscars-qa-ewan-mcgregor/
    OSCARS Q&A: Ewan McGregor

Ewan McGregor has played a lot of different kinds of roles since he first rose to prominence in 1996’s Trainspotting, but there’s one that has eluded his grasp: parenthood. In the December release The Impossible, the real-life father of four plays a man whose family is torn apart by the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami. He struggles to keep his two young sons safe amidst the chaos while
    searching feverishly for his wife, played by Naomi Watts, and eldest son, played by Tom Holland. Though it’s the third film he’s appeared in this year afterHaywire and Salmon Fishing In The Yemen, McGregor doesn’t take much time off. He recently spoke with AwardsLine from the set of August: Osage County, which is currently shooting in Bartlesville, OK.

[​IMG]
    AwardsLine: How did you first hear about The Impossible?
    Ewan McGregor: I heard about it through my agent, and I knew about J.A. Bayona and his film The Orphanage, although I don’t think I’d seen it until I’d read the script for The Impossible. I knew Naomi was attached—I’ve worked with Naomi before—and, yes, after reading the script I was left with no doubt. I didn’t know at the time that it was a true story, but there was something very honest and true about the writing. Another one of the main draws for me was that it was the first time in my career that I explored parenthood, although I’ve been a dad for a long time. I must’ve had some kids in films before, but not many, and I’ve never made a film that’s really about that relationship between you and your kids.

AwardsLine: How did the script read to you? There’s not a lot of dialogue, so I’m wondering what it was like going through the script the first time.
    McGregor: It had a very strong structure. It could have been written in a
    much more chaotic way—we fly back and forth and back and forth between all of the family’s experiences. I thought it even played against the chaos. (The structure) also started building up the tension about if they were going to find each other. I didn’t feel like it was spare of dialogue. Really good writers don’t feel the need to explain everything with lots of dialogue, I find.

[​IMG]
    AwardsLine: Were you able to spend any time with Maria Belon’s husband, your character in the film, before you started shooting?
    McGregor: I spoke to him on the telephone while I was shooting Salmon Fishing In The Yemen, a few days before I was due in Thailand, so I didn’t get a chance to meet him (before shooting). It’s a funny thing—the real family is Spanish, and because we weren’t playing them as Spanish, I felt like I was sort of free to create him. The whole family came out to visit the set, and when I met him, I thought, Oh, I’m not too far away. It was the writing I guess. The path through the film for me is that he really holds it together, he doesn’t allow himself to collapse until the bus station scene where he does allow himself the luxury to fall apart for a minute.

AwardsLine: Did you do any other research for the role?
    McGregor: We worked from an amazing documentary Channel 4 in Britain made called Tsunami: Caught On Camera, which was made using all the
    footage from (tourists’) cameras intercut with interviews with six or seven people who were there. It’s brutal and it’s devastating, and I watched it only twice, no, three times. I tried to go back to it, and I couldn’t. The art department had a great deal of research—photographs of hospitals and coastline shots, hotels, and then of the temples where the bodies were taken. There just reached a point once we started filming that—I mean, we’re spending all day trying to re-create this tragic event, and then we’re surrounded by a Thai crew, most of whom were affected by it and lost people there. All the hotels that we were staying in had been hit by the tsunami, so you’d be in bed at night thinking, Well, who was in this room and did they survive? I would concentrate on getting it right at work, but I couldn’t plunge myself into the horror of it because you can’t sustain that.

[​IMG]
    AwardsLine: You spend most of your time on screen with Oaklee Pendergast and Samuel Joslin, the young actors who play your sons in the film. How were they to work with?
    McGregor: They were just absolutely brilliant little guys, and I was always very careful with them. They had a child minder who was also a drama teacher for them, so he would prepare them for the scenes they were going to play, but I’m always very wary of how children are dealt with on movie sets. I said right up front that I wouldn’t involve them in anything that would actually frighten them or play any games with them just to get a desired effect on camera. So we worked quite hard with them. In some of the scenes where we had to huddle and cry—that doesn’t just happen on its own accord. We worked on that, I remember, for about a week or maybe more before we started shooting. And then when we did shoot, they were told quite clearly that when we were was on set, I was their dad. They knew I was their pretend dad, but still whenever I’d arrive on set, they’d run up and go, “Dad! Dad!” I’d send pictures back home to my kids: “Here’s my other family, my secret family in Thailand.” (Laughs.)

16. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    The Leno interview was great! :D Also the news came this morning he's nominated for a Golden Globe for Salmon Fishing in the Yemen! Wasn't expecting that, thought it would be for The Impossible, but Salmon Fishing was a fantastic movie

Veloz and obimom like this.
  17. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Hmm, Naomi Watts was nommed for a Golden Globe in The Impossible but Ewan wasn't! :_|:mad::eek: I don't even think it's been released yet, has it? From what I hear, he would have had a great chance for The Impossible. I'm not sure Salmon will win anything, though, but it was nice to see the noms.

18. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    It's premiered but not been released here... The dramatic actor categories are just so tough... :( They aren't even shooting for 'actor' for him but 'supporting actor' as it seems Naomi and the oldest son are more of the focus, or more of the main story. We'll see - I so want recognition for him, it would be nice, maybe the film will pick up momentum by the time they do the Oscar nods - possible. Released on the 21st, probably LA and New York. I'm going to start searching for screenings

19. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I'm happy Ewan got a nod for Salmon Fishing in the Yemen, however the Golden Globes really are kind of a joke here in Hollywood. I wouldn't take it as much of an indication of the chances for The Impossible to get Oscar nominations, one way or the other.

20. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    Yeah, that seems clear. I quite enjoy the wackiness of the Globes. Some correlation is inevitable though

21. obimom

obimom Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2010
    Love the pics of Ewan, and love seeing Ewan and Eve together..they are so cute.

Enjoyed the artices, and I missed him on Leno?????:_|

I'll have to find it on You Tube...

22. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    It's more that the Hollywood Foreign Press association literally means mostly random blogs these days. You don't have to have any credentials to get in and it's super easy for studios to schmooze people and buy noms. How do you think The Tourist got nominations a few years ago? No one takes its results very seriously, they just like going and getting drunk. On the other hand, I can say from being at the Emmys that some people actually prefer to not have people chatting and drinking while awards are being handed out...

Veloz likes this.
  23. Veloz

Aug 30, 2004
    Same here, i didnt even think Salmon Fishing would get nominated. I loved the message of the movie though, so it's refreshing that it did.

Exactly! that was the biggest joke ever [face_laugh].

Pictures of a NYC screening of The Impossible:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

serendipityaey likes this.
  24. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4