main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Understanding the Fan Dynamics of Star Wars Going Into the Sequel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Kyris Cavisek, Dec 11, 2012.

?

What category do you fall in?

1. 1/2. Original Trilogy Fan/Remastered Fan

79.1%
  2. 3. Prequel Trilogy Fan

34.9%
  3. 4. EU Fan

27.9%
  4. 5. TCW Fan

16.3%
  5. 6. Random Movie Goer (I don't like Star Wars, I don't know why I am here)

2.3%
  6. 7. Hearththrobber (I will sit through a galactic epic if it means I get to see a half naked man)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. aguywithabiggun

aguywithabiggun Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 1999
    Nice post, stupid poll. :cool: I agree that most fans aren't foaming at the mouth ready to bash any little thing they dislike. I think most older fans have evolved along with the series and younger fans do not have the timeframe of the 80's and 90's to really miss anything.

2. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    I am an OT fan from 78-79, love the prequels, love TCW series (both 2-d and CGI series), hate EU books, think the SW comics are poorly drawn. I also like Hayden Christensen as Anakin, think grumpy fans have too much time on their hands, don't give a rat's behind about which Anakin ghost haunts Luke, and celebrates the wondrous world of CGI as the ultimate effects playground of the future. Where's my option in this poll? And to what end are we exploring said "fan dynamic"? Disney can do whatever they want, regardless of any fan dynamics. Give me Star Wars, dammit.

3. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    My stance on the EU is it should be inspiration not doctrine.

kainee likes this.
  4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I appreciate both trilogies a lot. I probably like the OT a bit more even though ROTS is one of the best tragedies of our time. I accept the flaws of the PT, and I still enjoy watching them from time to time.

kainee and eht13 like this.
  5. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Would it be redundant to start a thread about what the "average audience member" knows about Star Wars?

Julius Vernon likes this.
  6. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    I think this is a good idea. Sometimes we as fans get caught up in things, even things from the films, that the average viewer allows to blow by.

7. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    One of the reasons Star Wars is such a global brand is that even people who haven't seen it recognise characters from it, such as Darth Vader.

darklordoftech likes this.
  8. Han Shot First

Han Shot First Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    Pretend the PT and EU don't exist!"

9. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I'm just a star wars fan.

You know its possible to be a fan of the EU (like enjoying TCW, playing games, reading books) and also be a fan of the film saga.

Why are you trying to separate star wars fan?

Valairy Scot likes this.
  10. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    If you continue to read the pages you realize it isn't about dividing fan but rather understanding what everyone wants and how we can come to an agreement

11. Dranem

Dranem JCF Banner Contest Winner star 1 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 31, 2012
    I think we are over-thinking this whole thing... I think. All these movies need are the classic Star Wars mythos, character archetypes, and themes. Anyone wanting specific things is going to be disappointed unless they see what they want to see (which I think happened with some who didn't like the prequels after having their version of the story in their own heads for 16 years). If film makers try to pander to fans I think it will be a train-wreck. I liked the prequels, but I feel George Lucas did this a bit himself by shoe-horning in characters from the original trilogy that didn't move the story forward and were just there for fan-service. I mean, I liked seeing them again but I was more intrigued by the new characters overall and wish we could have spent more time on them.

12. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    But we know its not their inspiration. Kennedy said they don't have a book series to draw from and that the Star Wars univesre is in Lucas's head.

So why keep going on about how it could be used inspiration when its pretty clear it won't be?

13. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    What agreement? We have no influece or say in wha thappens. Every person on here could agree on what they'd like to see and the movie could be completely different.

14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I appreciate both trilogies a lot. I probably like the PT a bit more even though ESB is one of the best tragedies of our time. I accept the flaws of the OT, and I still enjoy watching them from time to time.

15. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Flaws of the OT?!?!?!

16. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Yes, if you take off your nostalgia-vision goggles, you may actually see these films for the first time. It's riveting. and freeing.

17. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Give me some examples, rather than being trendy against the consensus opinions...

18. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Watch the personal attacks

19. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    Cast Taylor Lautner as a slave Luke rescue's that has Jedi potential, he is found with his shirt off, time to pull in the fangirls in big-time, since the boys will be there anyway.
    He then befriends one of the Jedi Solo/Skywalker younger ladies found in this thread http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...-young-female-skywalker-jedi-images.50005962/.

Oh yeah lightsabre action and lots of space battles too.....

20. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Shirtless lightsabre action and shirtless space battles would fill seats.

21. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Perhaps the poll was a bit much, and yes you do have points, however George originally wanted Wookiees not Ewoks to overthrow the Empire, however didn't have the capacity yet. The Special Effects I will give you, however alot of that is cleaned up in the Remastered versions. I will give you ewoks and special effects. That being said, if you don't like the OT for it's special effects, you confirm my fears of young fans disliking the OT for the sheer fact of the time it was made.

However again I ask for examples of weak plot points. I see none. I also ask you, in what order did you watch the films?

22. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Thats what Disney wants

23. JoeyArnold

JoeyArnold Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    I love & hate it all. I am huge critic. There are things that I love and hate about the sequels, originals, the clone wars, books, comics.

Joss Wheadon, who directed the Avengers, created the Buffy the Vampire Slayer & Angel. In these two TV shows, different characters resurrected. I love those kinds of things. They should get Joss to help write future Star Wars films. I watched all the episodes of Joss' TV shows:

Joss Wheadon TV shows I have seen every single episode to:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Angel

Firefly

Dollhouse

Other shows I have watched all of, or am still watching:

Dexter

Walking Dead

Clone Wars

Battlestar Galatica

Ringer

Star Trek the Next Generation

24. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I became a fan in 98 or so. My dad bought Droids The Pirate and the Prince VHS thing and I liked it. After that rented 4-6, got started on the EU then saw 1 in theaters. I like all three things. I have invested a lot of money into the EU so if thats all thrown out I'll be devastated. I haven't seen TCW regularly since the end of season 1 so no comment

25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It's the shirtlessness that Disney deserves, but not the one that it needs right now.