main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series CW Grade the Episode: S05E11: A Sunny Day In The Void

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Dec 12, 2012.

?

How would you grade this episode?

1. 10/10

14.3%
  2. 9/10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 8/10

16.1%
  4. 7/10

10.7%
  5. 6/10

8.9%
  6. 5/10

3.6%
  7. 4/10

5.4%
  8. 3/10

16.1%
  9. 2/10

5.4%
  10. 1/10

19.6%
  1. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    So far this arc has been poorly received, with both episodes getting fives on average. The voting probably isn't over, but the droid episodes once again prove (imo) to be polarizing failures to this community.

2. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Guys lets keep this civil and stay away from insulting people for their opinions. Thanks. I know these episodes are polarizing and tempers as high.

3. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Well, like Umbara or better than Onderon... these episodes will make more sense and be better to all, not just me, after the arc has concluded.

4. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    It remains to be seen what will happen when I stack these episodes together and watch them together.

5. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    I did say so far....

Nothing in the final episode(s?) of this arc will make the previous 60 minutes of boredom better, imo.

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  6. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    Ok... I will give you that.

Carnage of Krell and Tipping Points did not better their respected first two parts (of their respected arcs) better.

Most of Umbara still sucks and Onderon's first two episodes make me sleep.

I withdraw my statement.

7. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    [​IMG]

8. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
  9. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Seerow, while I agree with your points I just had to rate it lower - 6. The execution was fair, not excellent although I liked that they explored the themes they did. I'm not sure what a second viewing would do to my score but I'm not sure I'd want a second viewing.

Seerow likes this.
  10. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    [​IMG]
    For its great use of a sparse canvas, THX grades this episode an...

11. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Honestly I had a few moments during watching it where I thought I was crazy, lol. I agree the actual execution could have been better despite my rating. Still I thought the episode accomplished alot with what we got and the the cartooniness saved it from being a soul killer. I could still load up a "Lets fix the droid arc" thread. I feel more characters in speaking roles and perhaps Gascon used more seriously would have helped. His ailment was heat stroke, he had real symptoms but they were all the G rated ones. That's fine, I don't need to see vomiting or clear frog urine, lol. Still maybe the idea someone had about the planet actually not being habitable and Gascon running out of air trapped in the ship might have been worked much better with alot of the audience. Sorry to whoever that was. Think I'm going senile, I can't seem to remember much lately. =b

12. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    I much prefer the Mid Rim Junior League Bowling Championship.

13. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Agreed.

No clone is going to run out and hand my time back to me; no matter how awesome he ends up being.

JackG likes this.
  14. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I agree with your take on droid episodes being polarizing in general, but based on the results you've quoted, I don't think we're able to say the arc has been received "poorly" yet. By its very nature, a score of five out of ten would indicate the episodes have been moderately or evenly received, no? I suppose it may be fair to say these have fared more poorly than usual, though. Of course, none of this may wind up mattering, as these numbers are still subject to change.

15. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Depends on the grading scale your using. I work for a company where anything under an 8 is pretty much failing, so...

16. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
  17. Convor

Convor Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 25, 2011
    lolnope.

A generous 4/10.

18. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Depends on the scale, as Seerow said.

Forget reception.

I consider anything below 60% to be failing. Succeeding with only half the community doesn't seem like success at all.

19. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    +Comet shower was beautiful
    +Loved the droids' interactions on the outside of the ship
    +The crash landing was great
    +Abafar is gorgeously animated; the depth of the "void" really settles in; Tatooine looks like heaven compared to this place
    +Love how R2 pretty much says "**** you" to Gascon
    +Nice touch with the skeleton and broken astromech on the crashed ship
    +City is intriguingly designed

-WAC is such a ****ing idiot
    -Gascon is a moron, dear God this episode would have been so much better if he had just shut the hell up
    -Corporal?

7/10

Much better than the last one, although if the Colonel had kept his freakin' mouth shut for most of the time, it would've been much better

Upon second viewing, I have come to appreciate the camerawork a lot. It was incredible. The philosophies are a lot more intriguing but I still stand with a 7/10. I felt that some of the dialogue from Gascon/WAC was unnecessary and could have been told through expressions/body language, the lack of John Williams music is infuriating, Kiner's score was good but compared to the original CVI clip, a lesser work. While I cannot forgive the writing for Secret Weapons really, I do appreciate Brent Friedman's attempt at a Star Wars existentialist narrative. A good chunk less dialogue, and this would have been a 9. The second time around I appreciated it a lot more, but Gascon was a bit over the top. There were a couple moments when his silence and eyes instead would have done wonders.

Watched it a third time, and tried not to go too deep into Gascon's voice - definitely worked better for me. I'll up it up to an 8.

QuangoFett and TreborSabreon like this.
  20. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Man, you guys have it easy...
    I've taken courses where anything less than an 85 means your butt doesn't move on.

Granted, it was the stone-age, but still...
    :p

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, sorry, this episode doesn't get a second chance to make a first impression. It's not a literature or art critique course, it's a TV show that supposed to be fun.

And I say that as someone who will analyze the hell out of Star Wars characters--but I do it on first viewing.

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  22. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    It's definitely not the same kind of fun as a typical TCW episode, but I found it fun in a different way. Weird, insane fun and dark humor building to the crescendo of stampeding birds.

TreborSabreon and Seerow like this.
  23. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Fair enough, though succeeding in this community is sometimes easier said than done (and that's part of the reason I like it here).

Like you said, it depends on the scale. Even if "A Sunny Day in the Void" does wind up averaging a 5, or so, with an episode as polarizing as we agree this is, it only means that people either love it or hate it, and show it with a plethora of both very high and low scores. Just as those who hate it will find next to nothing of quality, I'm certain there will be no convincing those who love it that there's anything poor about it to be found, yet it will appear on the poll results like a middle of the road effort. It's just the nature of episodes like this, of course, and interestingly, such wildly varying views are often to be found when people are faced with something new.

Seerow likes this.
  24. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    I'll agree with this part of your post, but point out that a failing average with high variance is still a failing average. I don't place much value on high variance if it still gets you to the same results. Getting half 100s and half 0s on your test is still failing your tests. According to this community, it's actually less than a middle of the road effort, because most episodes get a passing grade from the community.

Anyone have the episode grade graphs? I'm sure a 5 would be well below the mean and the median.

Imo, this episode really isn't all that new. Some of the droids episodes and the Mortis arc especially are very similar in terms of style imo, and those episodes were also polarizing. To my knowledge, they're still polarizing and most people haven't changed their opinions.

25. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    I enjoyed this episode despite the fact that I don't think it was 100% perfect. The animation was great (loved the look of the comet swarm in the first act & and it also made for a nice action sequence), Gascon starting to mentally break down was pulled off quite nicely and then how he finally snaps completely and laughs while dancing around was pretty funny, I liked that WAC-47 was a bit toned down here when compared to the previous episode and I quite liked the design of the lizard-birds (they looked pretty funky and fit in well with the design of the planet and all); there were also some nice references and bits throughout and there was also some solid dialogue from Gascon. It's easy to see that the episode is definitely not everyone's cup of tea but I'll give the TCW crew some credit for trying something different and it's definitely a peculiar and entertaining episode but not by the more regular Clone Wars standard. 7/10

TreborSabreon, Seerow and Watto like this.