main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT My reasons for an original trilogy remake

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by skywalkerz, Mar 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mnhay27

Mnhay27 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    :eek:

Julius Vernon likes this.
  2. Death T

Death T Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 12, 2012
    As "sacrilegious" as an original trilogy remake would be, you can't help but be curious. Such a thing may never come to fruition, but a remake with 2012+ technology and special effects would in some ways be really cool. In the end I will succumb to the "you can never replace the original" argument, and by the time an original trilogy is remade, the prequel trilogy would already seem outdated. To me, the most irreplaceable aspect of the OT is its cast. You'll never be able to replace Hamil, Ford, and Fisher as Luke, Han, and Leia. It just wouldn't be right.

But I am curious...

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  3. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    I am curious too, but they still work fine regardless. They are a good film saga to watch.

Actually, compared to the prequel trilogy, i can watch each OT movie all the way through without skipping parts.

Star Wars age 9 likes this.
  4. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012

5. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    You would still be curious though, wouldn't you?

6. xtinataguba

xtinataguba Jedi Youngling

Nov 13, 2012
    isn't it nice to have a remake?

7. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    [​IMG]

8. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    Yep, we need to be shown the Galactic Empire's evil deeds and atrocities, like enslaving the aliens species like the Wookies and the Mon Calamari..........

9. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Still more polite than most of the commenters who disagreed with you. Props! Now: onto my opinion!

Matt Sloan is a better voice actor for Darth Vader than James Earl Jones.
    No, he's not. But Morgan Freeman is! :D

Ewan McGregor is a better actor for Obi-Wan than Alec Guinness.
    Damn right you are! I want all Alec Guinness Obi-Wan force ghosts replaced with Ewan McGregor, like the brilliant way they replaced some old white guy with Haydn Christensen

The lightsaber effects aren't too sharp or pretty.
    Absolutely correct. I still don't understand why this hasn't been fixed after all the brilliant SE.

The word "Sith" was never heard in the original trilogy.
    True. But not enough justification to remake.

A more explicit version of Vader's redemption would be nice.
    Agreed. He should have stabbed the emperor.

The lightsaber sound FX in the prequels sound much better.
    Truth here.

I loved the opening music in the prequel trilogy.
    Its the same in all of them

I would prefer better SE (plus extended) with these changes made.

10. King Terak

King Terak Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 22, 2012
    Awesome idea let's remake, wait....what??.

11. DarthRelaxus

DarthRelaxus Chosen One star 5

Apr 23, 2007
    It must be nice to hope for the thing you wish to want. Sure beats doing it!

12. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Disney*

13. TheRevanchist

TheRevanchist Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 13, 2012
    I wouldn't want a remake of the original trilogy, that is perfect as it is. In fact I wouldn't want in the new trilogy to continue the story at all, because it could touch some parts of EU. Preferably I would like a new story that is make thousands of years before or after The Battle of Yavin.

14. Star Wars age 9

Star Wars age 9 Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 29, 2012
    Hmmm... "cheesy."
    And, "up to par" with what exactly?

Transformers?
    Thor?
    Battle of Los Angeles?

If I didn't know better, I'd say that you're just being deliberately provocative [dammit, I took the bait]

Julius Vernon and DarthRelaxus like this.
  15. Skelter

Skelter Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Oh please...most people put the original movies on a pedastal. Like said movies are perfect.. in reality, the movies are old, cheesy, and need to to be brought up to par. The PT is awesome. The OT is a joke..terrible lightsaber battles, cheesy effects, annoying characters like Chewbacca, Solo and Lando... People that get mad because some of us consider the OT cheesy need to grow up and accept other people's opinions. .

16. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    It's matter of opinion which trilogy is better. Some like the OT better, some like the PT better, some like both etc. I like both but the OT will always be my favorite. I like it for it's cheesyness. People will always put down what they don't like and give you their opinion whether you want it not.

17. TheRevanchist

Dec 13, 2012
    What did I just read? The PT is awesome while the OT is a joke. Solo is an annoying character? Are you for real? Then you mention Chewbacca and Lando as annoying characters but you deliberately forget to mention Jar Jar Banks who is the most annoying character in any movie. I agree about the effects, but this doesn't matter at all. I like Alien, I like Ben Hur, Citizen Kane, Vertigo, Psycho, Casablanca etc. Should we remake them all cause they are cheesy? Sorry mate, but how old are you?

Anyway, I liked both trilogies. After you get into the EU, I appreciate the PT much more than other people and I even like the story of it more than the story of the OT. But directing and dialogues were a joke, when in the OT they were miles better. The OT should stay as it is, it doesn't matter if it doesn't have awesome effect like Transformers, that is the best trilogy of all time and should stay as it is. There are plenty of events and time frame in Star Wars Universe when they can make a new trilogy without touching things of the movies and the EU.

18. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    0/10. Trying way too hard.

19. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    Actually, believe it or not, I personally find Chewbacca extremely annoying. While I am not a fan of Jar Jar, I find him to be less annoying than Chewbacca. Jar Jar could at least speak in Basic, Chewbacca could only make irritating noises.

However, baby Ani is more annoying than them both! (no offence to Jake Lloyd, he performed better than most little kids could)

20. TheRevanchist

Dec 13, 2012
    Interesting, most interesting. I thought that Lloyd was very good.

21. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    Well there are a number of reasons. First is the remarks he makes like the infamous 'Yipee!'. And the 'Lets roll, that's a good trick' (or something similar). I understand he was already an adrenaline junkie by that time due to podracing, but see in a space battle your opponents are actively trying to kill you. He should at least have shown some fear.

Then the problems with the character itself: The virgin birth, the fact that chosen or not, no way should he have been able to destroy that battleship by himself. Even Luke had a ton of help while destroying the death star, had had some training in the Force, and had Obi Wan guiding him at the end. Furthermore, there really should be a difference in piloting a podracer and flying a spaceship/starfighter. It should not be that easy to transition between them, especially not for a young kid. And ofcourse, there is the entire demystification effect of seeing a character like Vader as a little kid.

I do believe the Saga as a whole would only improve without there being a little Vader running around, even for one movie. Yes George wanted to show the innocence of Vader, but it is not exactly a revolutionary idea that a kid would be innocent. I bet even Darth Sidious was innocent at that age. Heck, Hitler was probably an angel at that age as well! Did we really need to see it?

Furthermore, about the topic: If the OT needs to be remade for the issues it has, then we might as well remake the PT as well for the issues that had. Don't make Anakin a chosen one, or the center of the entire trilogy. Don't kill Darth Maul in Episode 1, but keep him for the entire PT as the main Darth of the PT, like Vader was the main Darth of the OT. Keep Qui Gon around as well (though I doubt anyone could top Liam Neeson as Qui Gon.) Make the Jedi actually wise. Bring the mystery back to the Force, and have it make sense. Bring back the wonderment we felt regarding the Force when Yoda told us and Luke all those amazing thing about it. Make size truly matter not. And yes, even with all the Jedi action I feel the sense of wonderment and mystery regarding the Force can be retained just the way it was in ESB. Getting rid of midicholrins would be a great first step, and remove problems like "Why didn't they give Palpatine a midi test in the PT"

22. Trask Ulgo

Trask Ulgo Jedi Padawan star 3

Dec 8, 2012
    If all movies were remade because they weren't perfect 99% of movies would be remade.

23. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Sorry but I agree with him. I found Chewbacca to be a FAR more annoying character than Jar Jar Binks. I'll take badly spoken basic ANY day over hours of moaning (the Ewoks were even more annoying, but they are a whole race & not a main character). Its always bothered me how much some people put Chewie on a pedestal, when he is pretty much the most annoying main in the entire Saga.

Sitara likes this.
  24. Lando's Little Maneuver

Lando's Little Maneuver Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    There are certain films you do not remake without undergoing a budgetary forbidding amount of resistance.
    Gone with the Wind
    The Wizard of Oz
    Citizen Kane
    And the Star Wars Trilogy

The Original Trilogy is about as close hallowed ground as a film can get for fans born in the 70's.

I think most fans who grew up with the OT will often tell you that the way they chose to conduct themselves throughout their lives can often be traced back to these films.

To go and remake them would be as close to sacrilege as you could get.

Julius Vernon likes this.
  25. Skelter

Skelter Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Sacrilege? Are you serious?? So what I am hearing is that said movies shouldn't be remade because some dollar stores dont agree with it?? Thats just silly....The duel between Vader and obi-one in a new hope is all the evidence I will ever need...Dont get me started at Vader's Obvious I threw myself on the floor so luke can chop my arm off on ROTJ...pitifull.

Let's watch the name calling, please. -Darth Boba

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.