main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Episode VII Production Timeline...

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by JaimePrater, Dec 12, 2012.

1. JaimePrater

JaimePrater Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 15, 2002
    If the film releases in 2015, it would only make sense that physical production would begin in 2013 giving around 15 months for post production. Obviously, this is wild speculation on my part...but there's sense to this.

It's possible we could see a teaser image by the end of 2013, with the possibility of some kind of teaser 30 second trailer.....

2. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Normally, George Lucas took 3 years between films. Right now we're on the edge of 2013 which is just about 2 years before the release date of [probably] May of 2015.

George usually used about 36 months. However, this has been in the works since June when George hired Kethleen Kennedy as co-pres. Around June 29th, according to Pablo Hidalgo, news broke at LFL that the ST was being made. That was roughly 7 months ago. Who knows how long George has been working on treatments and concepts and how long Arndt has been writing. So right now we have 29 months before May 2015. In other words the production is on schedule as GL usually ran it. That said I doubt we see any teaser trailer before winter of 2014.

Also, Kasdan and Kinberg have signed on to write/produce SW, although we're not sure if it's Episodes 8 & 9 or spinoffs. I would hope it is 8 & 9 because that would mean that the whole story would be written before anything is filmed and possibly speed up the production of Eps 8 & 9 so we don't have to wait 3 years between films.

3. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Well they would need to start filming by Oct/Nov 2013 at the latest I would imagine....Peter Jackson started filming in March 2011 for the Hobbit & got the first one out now....but interesting enough The Phantom Menace was originally suppose to come out in 1998 so here hoping EP7 is not pushed out to 2016 .

4. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    ROTS was filmed from June 2003 to September 2003.

My guess is filming will take place from August 2013 to November 2013, with a teaser trailer in late-2014.

Echo-07 likes this.
  5. Force.Child

Force.Child Jedi Youngling

Dec 7, 2012
    It also depends on the graphics. The prequels may have been decent graphics but what we can do even a few years from now will be even more spectacular! So who knows? It may take longer than Lucas. I just hope it is a decent story line. Nuff said. :)

Count Yubnub likes this.
  6. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I can see them starting film in early 2014, around January and stop around Summer time.

7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I bet before 2013 rolls around, there will be people filmming a new Star Wars movie. Probably spring-ish we'll get some interesting details about casting and maybe plot-nuggets. Settle in for a cold, lonely winter of Star Wars news, though.

8. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I expect at least a year of post-production work just due to the amount of CGI involved in a Star Wars film, so they'll have filming done by the start of 2014 I'd think.

9. Corvax855

Corvax855 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2011
    Here's how I see the production timeline unfolding from the point of view of the fans:

• Director announcement any day now, or within the next month or two (at the most).
    • Spring of 2013: cast and crew announcement.
    • Late summer to early fall of 2013: shooting and full on production. During this time we'll get occasional pictures, video blogs, interviews, and web diaries of the making of Episode VII. This will continue until the film is nearly released.
    • Summer of 2014: title announcment.
    • Late summer to early fall of 2014: teaser trailer and poster released.
    • January to February of 2015: composer scores Episode VII.
    • Late spring to early summer of 2015: merchandise comes out, including action figures, soundtrack, books, etc. Lots of spoilers.
    • Summer 2015: movie released.
    • November to December 2015: home video released.

10. DARTHKANISS

DARTHKANISS Jedi Grand Master star 1

Sep 8, 2004
    I hope they take all the time they need, so it's done properly without rushing.

11. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I'm a little confused by this. You think they're filming now? Because 2013 is rolling in in about 17 days.

12. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I think the best answer is that we dont know. During the George Era (DGE), the timeline was approximately 3 years and we had a good idea wheree events should fall along that period of time. But with Disney we dont really know. They could stay with what worked for George, or as it appears from what we know, the timeline will be compressed somewhat, especially with multiple movies allegedly coming out every 2 to 3 years.

13. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004

Win.

14. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    I don't think we can measure the production timeline based on the previous films.

Lucasfilm may have had a lot at their disposal - but Disney is a far larger company that has far more resources to work with. Hence, it may influence the timeline a little in terms of how fast they can get things done.

15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Erm, take that statement and change the word "around" to "over" and that's it. Of course, if you think "rolls around" as sort of a statement, like, the duration of 2013 would roll and it would have "rolled around" by the time 2013 is finished .... Anyway, you know what I mean. By the end of 2013.

before 2013 rolls over. That's the ticket.

16. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    The timeline will be much quicker. Resources are much larger at Disney.
    However, there are two things that must be completed first before filming I think which are of real interest.
    The script, naturally, which everyone is talking about since there is a scriptwriter.
    But also Concept Design. This is one of the critical phases of a Star Wars film. Have we heard of anyone of the Concept Artist Team yet? Also for the PT this was done (mostly) at Skywalker Ranch with Lucas on hand. This may not be the way things are done this time round.