main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social Newbie Welcome Party - The House-Warming Party!

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Skiara , Sep 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I wish I could speak a second language. I took Spanish for a dozen years in school and can barely hold a conversation :(

2. Roberto Calrissian

Roberto Calrissian Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    English, Spanish, French, took Portuguese but forgot half of what I learned in Portuguese it's an easy language to pick up. I'll get back it again before world cup Rio 2014. Oh yeah hello just got on this today, I'll go hide in Hoth for a bit and get the full experience of the winter season.

3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    That's quite a linguistics portfolio there...

4. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Welcome to the JC! Where are you from?

5. Anapad Nabooine

Anapad Nabooine Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2005
    Hi there! I guess you could call me a 're-newbie'. I've been away for a loooong time. I was here a lot during the Star Wars Episode IV 30th Anniversary days. I had such a grand time in LA with plenty of my fellow fans! I still like SW but the frenzy I was in died down along with my participation on this site. I see some things have changed since then and I need to get reacquainted. The astounding news that George Lucas sold SW :eek: and the wonderful news that there will be another trilogy =D= has brought me back and stirred the fangirl embers within me. When I'm not dealing with Real Life, I look forward to getting all 'StarWarsy' again here. To ease into things I think I'll...jump into the Chocolate Pool!

6. Jedi_Jason5001

Jedi_Jason5001 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2001
    Hey, can anyone tell me where I can find all the Star Wars avatar pictures that everyone seems to have for their profile? Thanks.

7. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Welcome back, Anapad_Nabooine ! I hope you stick around for a long time. We'll be fangirling and fanboying (yes, I know those aren't real words :p ) for a long time now!

Jason, everyone finds his or her own photo and uploads them as avatars. If you're having trouble, I can walk you through it. Is there anything in particular you want?

Anapad_Nabooine likes this.
  8. Anapad Nabooine

Anapad Nabooine Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2005
    Thanks, NYCitygurl! I'm definitely getting into SW again. I rewatched the Prequels last week and now I'm working on the Originals. The only thing is I don't have the original version of TESB or ROTJ. I have GL's enhanced 2004 versions. After watching ANH in its "pure" state (because I can't stand to watch any version of it in which Han doesn't shoot first), I feel the need to watch the rest of the trilogy as I saw them back in the '80s. So I've just placed an order on Amazon and can not wait until I have them in hand!

9. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Nice! I think that's an excellent purchase :D I think my movies are all on VHS--which could be a problem, since I think we got rid of the VHS players ... :p I might need to follow in your tracks!

10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The blu ray set is glorious. Between the SW saga and the recently restored hi-def Universal Monsters box set, my investment in a blu ray player is justified on those alone... but, forget VHS... I still own the OT on laserdisc. [face_dancing]

11. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Here's the same... It's a shame how fast one forgots stuff and that I was too lazy to sit down at home. :p

BlueRay is fantastic! But I still prefer good movies (on DVD) than poor ones (on BlueRay). I just bought* "Robin Hood" in the old version on DVD, because the new version on BueRay is just horrible (if you know the movie, you know what I mean). They changed so much (German voices, song style, etc). Horrible...

*ok, ok, I was going to buy it, but my bf bought it for me and gave it to me as a present. [face_love]

12. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
    morrison85 hasn't been around lately. I hope that all is well with her.

13. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I don't own a Blu Ray player 8-} Actually, I don't technically own a DVD player; I just use my computer :p

14. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Damn girl, yo' technology-busted behind is wack.

15. Jedi_Jason5001

Jedi_Jason5001 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2001
    I always thought there was somewhere on the boards a repository of the various avatars people had created. Maybe that didn't survive the transfer? I don't know where to find a suitable SW avatar. I was thinking something with Luke or the SW/James Bond mash-up pics.

16. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    My technology-busted behind needs to pay off student loans before I can invest in shiny toys :p

There was (I actually used to magane it), but it didn't survive the transfer. Because this system allows people to upload their own icons (which the old boards didn't; you could only choose from the bank), we decided to just let everyone do as they wanted. You can probably find the image you're searching for on Google.

17. NinjaSanta

NinjaSanta Jedi Master

Mar 3, 2011
  18. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Hey, she knows how to use a computer as a DVD player... That's a lot more than what a lot of people with DVD or BlueRay player know! :p

NinjaSanta, there you are and away... :(

Random Comments likes this.
  19. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Laser Disc. Wow. I thought I was the only one old enough to remember that short lived and over-rated (by today's standards) technology.

20. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
  21. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Yes but the difference between Betamax and Laser Disk, is that Betamax was thought to be the better technology over VHS. Betamax went extinct largely because Sony was not adaptable to market demand.* Laser Disk priced itself out of the market with a limited offering.

22. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
    8mm celluloid film projector. :p

23. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    I own a handful of 8mm films. Mostly Universal monster films. Bride of Frankenstein, Dracula, Invisible Man...

24. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    24 or 48 fps? ;)

25. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    wll well the WNu used to be the outpost ofthe european fanforce, now with th emove it may have changed slightly :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.