main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Do you have any phobias?

Discussion in 'Community' started by solojones, Dec 13, 2012.

?

Do you have any phobias?

1. spiders (arachnophobia)

25.0%
  2. snakes (ophidiophobia)

10.4%
  3. heights (acrophobia)

33.3%
  4. crowded or open spaces (agoraphobia)

12.5%
  5. small, enclosed spaces (claustrophobia)

22.9%
  6. dogs (cynophobia)

6.3%
  7. needles (trypanophobia)

6.3%
  8. public speaking (glossaphobia)

14.6%
  9. other

37.5%
  10. I have no phobias

25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    So you're afraid of being ridiculed by a bunch of geeks and losers on an internet forum?

harpuah likes this.
  2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm not a huge fan of crawlers, but only in real life. And I guess it's more an aversion than a phobia really -- I had to catch, kill, and pin forty bugs for a HS bio project.

For actual phobias -- hm. Heights and really small spaces. I'd make a lousy spelunker.

Misa ab iPhono meo.

3. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
  4. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    I don't like using propane gas devices. I'm afraid they're gonna explode.

5. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Pedosmile! PEDOSMIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLEEEEE!! :_|

lol... ilu, Dave. :p

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  6. DantheJedi

Aug 23, 2009
    You have every right to. Some Amish farmers who live near me had their house burned down a few years back when a propane gas heater they were using exploded. It was loud, and practically shook my house.

7. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    i can't believe nobody has said clowns. when i was little i hated clowns.

8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
  9. Darth Somnambulous

Darth Somnambulous Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 2, 2012
    Coincidentally, I have the same fear. Though I think mine stems from the time when I was 7 and I was climbing over a gate and was at the very top (one leg on each side) when the wasps living in it decided to attack.

AaylaSecurOWNED likes this.
  10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Shared phobia? That Cathy person I've never heard of is going to be jealous.

11. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    I have an unspeakable phobia of Ryan Reynolds shirtless. Please, PLEASE do not post pictures.

AaylaSecurOWNED likes this.
  12. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    I share mrsvos' phobia, too. I used to be afraid of the dark, then I found 'nightlights.'

I have an absolute terror of spiders. Small places make me very nervous. And I get vertigo if I have to stand on anything higher than a stepstool. Went on a backpacking trip once and had to cross a ledge above a lake, with my backpack on. Faced the rock wall, literally 'hugged it' and very slowly made my way across the ledge, which seemed very narrow to me but was probably 3 ft wide.

I'm totally calm when faced with blood or injuries, tho, I guess because I know what to do in those instances.

13. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Pubic hair.

Rogue1-and-a-half and yankee8255 like this.
  14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm actually deathly afraid of wasps and other insects with stingers. Sucks because my mom bought a bee farm this summer, and it's out in our front lawn. [face_nail_biting]

15. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    That looks like it would be fun. And, besides, they're attached to the face of whatever it is they're climbing.

16. DarthHutt

DarthHutt Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 2, 2000
    Holy crap, I'm a mess!
    I checked 7 of those boxes. :(

17. Count_Drabbu

Count_Drabbu Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 30, 2007
    No, it's nothing to do with the ridicule itself, and that's just the issue. If you don't understand what it means to have a phobia - and I mean a truly intense fear, not just a mild dislike of something - you might see a bit of ridicule, or even just some harmless good fun. Many people can't (or choose not to) grasp that, for the person with the phobia, it can be psychological torture.

And I'm not angry about it, because I loooong ago came to recognize and accept that most people wouldn't understand. The best solution was just to never give anyone the weapon to use against me (whether from malice or ignorance), so I'll admit to being phobic if it's relevant to the discussion, but I won't admit what I'm phobic of.

18. Platelet

Platelet Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm slowly recovering from arachnophobia, now that I live alone and have to kill the things.

I am more terrified of centipedes than spiders, though. The last time I found one in my bedroom, I slept on the sofa for a month. True story.

19. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Whatever... the opening sentence of the thread is...

20. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Ha ha. Pictures of bugs, including spiders, dont' scare me. You'd have to send real ones and I'd just hit the package with an intense dose of Raid. :)

21. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I was kind of being facetious and I was mostly just pointing out that I supported Drabbu's decision not to share his phobia.

22. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I have a phobia of spiders, heights, and free fall.

The only childhood thing I can think of for spiders is the fact that the area I grew up in has a lot of black widows. Because of that, we were always taught to be afraid of spiders just in case they were deadly.

23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    At a park, my sons were looking into a gutter or drain of some sort when one of them said, "Look! Spider-Man!" I looked, and it was a black spider with a red mark over its belly.

It took them awhile to figure out why the Spider-Man spider made Mommy go ape**** and yell "GET AWAY FROM THERE!"

Yeah, I don't like spiders.

24. DantheJedi

Aug 23, 2009
    My mother didn't like snakes and frogs. One time when I was little and brought a frog up to the house I found in the woods to show her, she was like "AAAAAAHHHH! Get that away from me!".

25. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't like bees or other flying stinging insects. I can stand them if they are a little way away from me but if they fly at me I'll freak out a bit and hightail it out of there

I also don't care for public speaking. I can do it but don't like it.