main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion What needs to happen to make you say, "The ST was as good as the OT"?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by boomx2sjk, Nov 27, 2012.

1. HighGround

HighGround Jedi Youngling

Dec 13, 2012
    A lot of things.

It needs to bring something completely fresh and new, things that we have never seen in SW movies before.

1. Filming - This has to change. That was one of the major problems with Episodes 1-3. The way it was shown was extremely boring. Long shots and views of pretty places and people walking around talking. Not saying longshots of scenery are bad but rarely anything interesting happens. I want them to implement some creative scenes, angles, camera movements, scenes that give the viewers a sense of wonder. Movies like Dark Knight, Inception, Looper, hell even Toy Story had tons of great scenes and great camerawork. Why can't Star Wars have it? And by good creative camerawork I don't mean some huge CGI space battles with the camera going 360 and a TIE-Fighter all flying out of control.

2. Music Score - They need to add something new to the score. The same old John Williams stuff can get boring after awhile. How about implementing some energetic, tense music. Something hypnotizing or adds extreme tension to scenes. The Bourne and the new James Bond series has these type of music. Now I'm not saying we should abandon the SW style soundtrack for something entirely out-of-place, but have a good composer that can blend the SW music to the new energetic new-age stuff together, then it will be incredible. Because, from what I know, 99% of Star Wars music is orchestra, cortet, string-violin long compositions. It does get boring after awhile.

3. Fight scenes - Star Wars has atrocious fight scenes, I'm not gonna lie. The choreography is laughable and uninteresting. The best fight scene I can remember in a Star Wars movie is the final confrontation between Anakin and Obi-wan in Episode 3. Ok, that was still pretty tame because there was very little emotion in that fight, and there was nothing creative. They just swung at each other for 10 minutes moving from one room to the next, while climbing up a tower or something. Now, think about it, if a Jedi's whole life revolves around the force, why is it that we have NEVER seen a Jedi or a Sith use the force in a creative way?? In every SW movie, a Jedi uses the force to move an object or something, or blow a door open, or push someone out of the way, that's it. For a Sith, shoot some lightning out of his fingertips, that's all there is to it. Why can't they be more creative with it? Why can't a Jedi use the force to camouflage himself or something, or manipulate the enemy, set traps, fool the enemy, plan ambushes. Ok, let's say that the extent of the Jedi's force powers is to "move objects", well why can't they be creative with that? Have them move tree trunks with their minds and slam it into incoming Troopers or something (yeah that's lame but you get the idea), how come we have NEVER seen a Jedi do something like that?? And the fight scenes need to be better too, have different Lightsaber techniques, or have some lightsabers to be shorter-length, like daggers or something so Sith Assassins can use them and perform fatal moves. Hell, or have hand-to-hand combat, why can't a Jedi or a Sith be trained in hand-to-hand combat??? Have the fights be more brutal and faster. If you were a Jedi, how would you fight...think about it. You would force- move the heaviest object you can find in the room and swing it towards the enemy while force-moving your light-saber at the same time at bullet-speed towards him and jump up appearing behind him and stab him with whatever....but the funny thing is we have never seen a force-user do this in any SW movie. They always walk up slowly, pull out a lightsaber, pose for 10 seconds and swing. They have to mix it up.

4. Characters - Have some interesting characters never seen in a SW movie before, and I don't mean guys like Jar Jar Binks or that Dexter comic-relief CGI guys. I mean real, interesting, deep characters. For example, in the SW games there was HK-47 and Hanharr, two characters that were completely refreshing. HK-47 is the assassin droid acting as a protocol droid with a high IQ and have his own ideas about everything, and plus funny one-liners and dark, evil humor. Hanharr is a psychotic wookie who hates other wookies and wants nothing to do with them, and plus he is extremely smart, and talks and acts like a human being, just touches like this would make the movies much better.

5. Misc. Interesting Stuff - The new movie has to put in some fresh ideas, or taking an old idea and spinning into something fresh. For example, show scenes of a Jedi assembling a lightsaber, show scenes of a bounty hunter assembling his weapon, show a droid fixing his assassination protocols. Show what the inside of a Sith blaster looks like, what a power cell looks like, or just random cool stuff like that which we have never seen before.

2. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    I can't make the comparison between a trilogy that has existed for decades and one that is only in the planning stages. Is it really even possible to aspire to make the ST have the same appeal as the OT? That would take...well, something like a miracle (if you believe in that concept). Both trilogies are going to exist in different eras with different cultural and world influences at work to create emotional connections in the audience.

3. burrisjedimaster1

burrisjedimaster1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    What needs to happen to make you say, "The ST was as good as the OT"
    Nothing that is produced will be as good as the OT!

4. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    This ^ the black and white "good Vs Evil" paradigm needs to be stretched into something more realistic for our times. The "bad guys" need better character development, more focus on deeper philosophical questions that relate to today's culture.

5. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    That will be the formula for failure. The people who are responsible for the later Star Wars films making so much money are more in the 20-50 age group- thats the problem, Lucas decided to market the new films to kids and I hope to the gods Disney doesn't make the same mistake. They need to let the series mature with both our culture and fan base. Stop trying to remake the same film over and over.

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    How do you know?

7. burrisjedimaster1

Jul 31, 2002
    I dont know..The statement I made is a very critical opinion of mine. I will base my opinion from the efforts of the PT and the clone wars cartoons which all have great moments but really dont hold a candle to the OT. Hopefully I will be wrong. I aslo believe that the ST will be more scrutinized than the PT!

8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Okay. Makes sense I guess.

9. burrisjedimaster1

Jul 31, 2002
    If I would have answered this question 10 years ago I would have said "any star wars movie made will be better than the next". Every time I watch the PT my opinion of it gets worse and worse.

If Ford, Hammel, and Fisher could get younger then the ST may have a better chance of Eclipsing the OT! LOL might use that for my new sig:p

10. HighGround

HighGround Jedi Youngling

Dec 13, 2012

Yes I agree. Not all Siths should be bad and not all Jedis should be "goody-two-shoes". Just make it so that the Sith and Jedi have different philosophies.

But I doubt they'll make it like that. It's asking too much. Can you imagine a character like Revan or Kreia in any SW movie? I sure as hell can't. Disney won't go there.

I wish at most they would just change up the action scenes. Make the battle scenes tense. There are rarely scenes of tension in any SW film, like make you really feel danger for the characters.

Darth kRud likes this.
  11. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    If audience members get into a fistfight over some canon/noncanon concept or plotline IN THE THEATER, I will know that we have achieved success.