main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation The Sith in Disney Trilogy

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by CoolyFett, Dec 8, 2012.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    JASWMF thinks "Sith" is PALPATINE'S RACE. We've got to stop with this "JASWMF thinks all darksiders are Sith" idea.

2. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    As Flea observed, I'm not just responding to Lurker; so please don't straw-man that I'm straw-manning :p
    But really, why would you? Outside of it bothering a faction of fans who think that Balance of Force = No Sith Ever Again, Ever.

3. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Except that she got ret-conned to be a Sith-in-training. There was even an episode preview/commerical where Ahsoka (as the narrator) referred to her as a Sith.

4. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Except that retcon didn't happen. Post a link to that episode preview/commercial.

5. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Also, if some hidden Sith show up, the Jedi will NOT be surprised (that's NOT an argument for or against hidden Sith showing up).

6. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    It was Season 1, Episode 9, titled Cloak of Darkness. There was a commerical for the episode that was Ahsoka doing the narration, referring to her as a Sith. I'm looking for that particular clip...

7. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    You don't want to get bogged down explaining everything to the audience. Its easier, and probably better, to just have a villian be a Sith, and move on without addressing it. Most people don't go to a movie to involve with that kind of detail. They'll just want ot be entertained.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  8. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Ventress likely would have become a Sith had Sidious died and Dooku taken his place because he then would have made her his apprentice and given her a title. But being Sidious' apprentice as he was and having to obey the Rule of Two he was not able to do that.

9. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    All they have to say is "There was a group of darksiders called The Sith."

10. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Or just have the villians be Sith (called Darth etc...) and everyone is on board, knows who they are etc... with zero explaination.

11. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    What's the difference? It's not like any of the existing six movies explain what a Sith is and yet they take plenty of time to explain lots of other stuff. And there's always opening crawls.

12. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Balance implies an almost equal interaction between good and bad. Yin and yang so one could argue actual balance would mean a larger sith population that we saw in previous SW films. Do they say anywhere in the films that the prophecy meant destroying the sith forever?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yin_and_yang

13. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    That's true. They can always call the next evil force users something else; like Dark Jedi, or Dark Force Wielders, or whatever. And just because the Sith Cult may no longer exist, it doesn't mean someone else won't come up with some other named cult.

darklordoftech likes this.
  14. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    Perhaps we need to take this form a different route. If we were to have a new darkside villain that was not a sith what big differences would he have compared to the sith? You need to have them be incredibly different in order to pull it off I think. So far people keep saying the only difference you seem to need to make is their name which seems like an incredibly bad move to me.

15. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I have to agree. Palpatine mentions that the Sith use the Force in unnatural ways; controlling and influencing people with mind control, thus disallowing free will; creating life unnaturally, cheating death, and so on and so on.

16. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    Still should be noted that the only thing we know the prophecy actually supposedly says is that the chosen one will bring balance to the force. It was the interpretation of Jedi that this meant the destruction of the sith. An interpretation Yoda admits could be wrong. So it is still entirely open to interpretation. I don;t base views on these topics over a quote form an interview with Lucas since those types of things can change. I base it solely off what actually exists in the films, and the films cry out vagueness on the issue for a reason I think.

17. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Balance of the Force, not balance of the Force-users.

18. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Apparently one can say that however many times one wishes, yet it continues to be like talking to a brick wall.

19. Darth kRud

Nov 1, 2012
    The force having both a light and dark side- the force is represented in it's manifestation in sentient beings. Force users simply represent the will of the force. So if there are no "bad" force users (sith) then the "good" (jedi) in the universe would be disproportionate meaning balance would have to be restored. Without the darkside there can be no light. Eventually the Jedi would become "bad" if there were no sith. Maybe that should be a major part of the new films if there's to be no sith. sure some dark force users could work but most of us want the Sith back with a deeper look into sith culture/philosophy.

I wanna see the Sith so I think Darth Plagueis should be the 'bad' guy. Introduce the Vong and The Witches Of Dathomir and some Jedi's in the moral grey zone and we have the makings of some good films. Get some serious actors on board, Daniel Day Lewis(Plageuis), Tom Hardy(Vong), Eva Green (witch) mixed with some of the old cast and BANG! I'll see it 15 times :)

No mentally challenged battle droids that take away from the threatening feel of the film, no 6 year old actors who are basically reading the script of cue cards, no childish animals meant to sell toys and no Hayden Christensen over acting every scene to the point of absurdity. Philosophically I'd like the new films to have more of an existentialist feel, less moral absolutes. More nuance concerning the nature of good and evil. Less attempts at comedy as well. A dark philosophical series that sets the stage for generations of new films. Something real.

20. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Force users are not the Force. Balance of the Force does not mean "Jedi/Sith head count".

21. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    The Witches of Dathomir had Dark Side powers and they weren't Sith. Someone similar could be in the ST

darklordoftech and Darth kRud like this.
  22. Darth kRud

Nov 1, 2012
    Something real meaning a film series that tells stories from more than the Jedi or 'good guys' perspective with some good character acting not so much relying on CGI but also deeper philosophical and social commentary. I'm not talking about addressing any sort of social issue like environmentalism or anything but more so the human condition, which is extremely complex, a complexity that will always be lacking when the target audience is ten year olds. Something with a more serious tone. An actual sci fi drama. Something truly nihilistic.

"Jedi/Sith head count". Well, as far as action goes it would be more exciting to see a battlefield full of Jedi/Sith going at it rather than Jedi destroying half retarded droids and mindless animals or clones. A deeper look into the darkside would also be nice. A more balanced fight, a more balanced galaxy with a truly divided atmosphere, as in, large populations embracing nihilism not being subjects to some Empire. More philosophical and less political.

23. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    It's not the balance of the fight.

24. Darth kRud

Nov 1, 2012
    Balance in the forces representation. Balance between the forces of dark and light. I'm not of the opinion the force should be all good, as in, only in balance when 'evil' or the darkside is defeated. To me that represents imbalance. True balance would be found in each person embracing the dark and light.

25. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Starwars.com's trivia for "The Gathering" as well as Mortis Father's dialogue seem to confirm the "Force, not Force users" theory.