main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Our Mission Was the Journey Itself: Stargate Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by ObiWanCon, Mar 24, 2007.

1. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Great ending to the series. The ending of the finale was perfect and not so cliffhanger-ish as I thought it was going to be. Here comes the long Stargate hiatus!

2. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, excellent final episode. I'm seriously debating buying this season on DVD/Blu-ray just for the heck of it, it was that good (and you never know what strong DVD sales will do). Its depressing to see this show end on a bittersweet note (yet with still a strong overtone of hope, something that seems rarer and rarer in media these days), then see it followed by commercials for random trash. If only they could actually spend their budget on something of a higher quality (although SGU was probably a pretty expensive show with all the effects and large yet quite watchable cast).

I had heard it would be a cliffhanger ending so I was expecting a typical sci-fi/Stargate season ending- either the ship would be out of power, or they'd be under attack or half the characters could be dead (yet could still conveniently turn out to be alive due to various plot devices), etc. This was just... so much better. Eli's really become the heart of the show, and its been a theme for the last few episodes, but he really has surpassed Rush. Heh, love Young calling Rush the crazy uncle of their family.

Very smart solution too. I was wondering how close they were to leaving this galaxy, since usually most threats are just confined to one galaxy (aside from those aliens chasing Destiny), but something like this. I was vaguely reminded of BSG (the old one) final episode where they decided to take on a basestar rather than avoiding them like usual. Nice to see those command ships blow up, but each victory cost too much. Glad to be rid of them, too bad though this galaxy also has all their descendants, although their chances aren't looking too good either (some will probably survive, but its probably kind of hard to build an civilization with drones constantly buzzing about... although not impossible). Slightly reminded of Angel's ending, though Angel's was more blaze of glory rather this one's quiet ending.

Well, here's to one of the best shows I've seen in the last few years. Glad they remembered all those threads from earth (people left behind and all), there hasn't been much time for earth visits lately. So many great characters, the main ones and recurring ones and the minor ones even, and while problems (predictably) popped up while carrying out the plan, loved the character focus. It was a wonderful journey, if only we could've followed them longer.

3. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    Agreed.

That ending was pitch perfect for the show that they had managed to create in this last half of the second season.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, it really was a different type of cliffhanger not typical of the series. They started in this direction last year with Season 1's atypical cliffhanger (which, outside of the secondary plot of them running for the door, was very..I udnno, quiet, compared to other cliffhangers) and reached something new here.

What's ironic is SGU is the first SG series to be cancelled really early, yet it probably has the best finale of any of the three shows (whereas SG-1 had to rush several episodes of events into Ark of Truth at a pace that betrayed the awesome pacing of Seasons 9 & 10, and SGA crammed two episodes into one, shoving in things like Wormhole Drive somewhat randomly). SGU ended at the pace and quality it set in the series, and that's a very good thing.

5. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    I tuned in for the last 15 minutes...wanted to see how they sent it off.

As typical of a finale, character behavior broke down and blurred with the actors real sentiment...it was nice to see...Rush smiling sincerely was nice...had me thinking "if they had done a little more smiling from the get go, would we be here?"

The final sequence with Eli alone was the best send off to an episode in this franchise since the end of "The Fifth Race". His emotions were well communicated through a solitary, speechless moment...very effective.

...and somehow fresh compared to a show that was built on meandering conversations, interpersonal strife and musical montages. [face_laugh]

Left me wondering, just like those who stuck with it, "what could've been"...

Oh well...

6. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    After nearly 20 years, the iris closes for good.

Goodbye Stargate.

:_| :(

7. MadDevil

MadDevil Jedi Youngling

Jul 29, 2004
    I have to agree that they did an excellent job of ending the series. It's an ending that leaves open the possibility of further storytelling with these characters/storyline, but also serves well as a series finale. It's a shame this show isn't going to be on anymore.

8. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Except that the cliffhanger was filmed before they pulled the plug.

It was a nice send off. Without intending they've rightly made the series about Eli and his growth.

9. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    And that really sucks because the show ends just as Eli is starting to gel as a character.

10. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003

I had suspected they perhaps knew there was a chance of not being renewed.

Full Interview Here

11. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    I'm still hoping they get a comic series to wrap things up. I.e. exactly what they did with Angel.

12. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    I know there are a few SG novels, but I am surprised that we haven't seen much more in that regard. Stargate is such an open-ended concept that I could see it having a really exapansive expanded universe, like Star Wars. Maybe this is an opportunity to explore other forms of content delivery.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The Sg novels aren't considered canon by the showrunners/MGM- so there'd have to be a policy change for some kind of official continuation in another medium.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Season 3 Alternate Cliffhanger & Possible Resolutions Revealed

Fans of Stargate Universe tuned in for the show?s final moments this week, and saw Eli Wallace risk ? or perhaps sacrifice ? his life for his friends, volunteering to stay behind and try to repair Destiny?s last statis pod while the rest of the crew went into stasis. But the ending was originally very different.

Executive producer and ?Gauntlet? co-writer Joseph Mallozzi revealed on his blog that in the story?s original pitch, the identity of the person who stayed outside of the pods came down to a coin-flip ? and was to be left ambiguous at the season?s end, setting up a fascinating character study for the start of Season Three.

?The original pitch had Young and Rush as the last two men standing,? Mallozzi said. ?With one, lone serviceable pod remaining, they argue, then make the decision to let fate decide. They flip a coin. Winner makes the sacrifice and stays out; loser goes into stasis. The coin flip is made and, as it descends, we FADE OUT, not knowing the results.

?One of the possibilities this particular ending set up was a Season Three opener which finds Rush, three years later, a little loopy from his time alone. As he goes through his daily maintenance of the ship?s systems, he converses with members of the crew who, it turns out, are hallucinations. Suddenly, the gate activates. A bewildered Rush hurries to the gate room in time to see Telford lead a rescue op through. Turns out, after several years, Earth finally acquired a means to dialing Destiny. Of course, the rescue turns out to be short-lived as it ends up being a hallucination as well when, in the episode?s final turn, we discover Rush in stasis (he was the one who lost the coin toss), evidently dreaming, while Young maintains the solitary existence as Destiny?s caretaker.?

Eli contemplates what may be his brief future in the final moments of SGU's finale.

Mallozzi said that, while it was a cool idea, it suffered from a number of problems that eventually prompted the show?s producers to rule it out. In addition to the fact that the antisocial Rush would be quite happy to live by himself on the ship, it suggested a season opener that was low on action.

Making Eli the one who sacrifices himself in the end brought the fan-favorite character to a new point of maturity, bringing his journey full circle.

In the full post, Mallozzi also discusses possible solutions to the conclusion that they ended up writing and filming. Though the writers hadn?t settled on how to resolve the fate of Eli and the rest of the crew, or how much time would have passed when they woke up, they brainstormed a lot of different scenarios, including:

Eli fixes a pod

This was one scenario. Somehow, someway (sorry, don?t have the details but I?m sure the solution would have been all sorts of cool ? right, Mr. Scalzi?) Eli manages to fix one of the damaged pods and joins the others in stasis. He awakens with the rest of the crew anywhere from three to one thousand years later. I jokingly pitched out a scenario in which the crew awakens from stasis with the horrible realization that Eli is not there to greet them and that the pods haven?t been fixed. As they mourn their friend, they unseal Chloe?s stasis pod only to discover both Eli and Chloe inside, spooning (Yes, I was kidding and, no, that wouldn?t fly)!

Eli taps some hitherto unexploited power reserve which allows him to extend life support for three years

Another potential scenario with no firm solution. Again, it would need to be something a little more clever than Eli awakening Rush three years later and informing him: ?Yeah, I managed to reroute enough power to life support. How? Oh, I?ll tell you later.?. In my mind, the solution rested with the lone remain

15. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    lol

The last thing with Chloe should've happened by the 5th episode of the series. [face_laugh]

I wonder how people would handle the same actress playing a completely different lead character.

The temptation to backslide would be too great...they'd reverse it...which takes the daring out of the move.

Still...Chloe being someone else...which means she could be potentially useful...had merit.

16. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Wow! That makes me even more sad that SGU got the axe. They seemed to have come up with some really interesting and tantalizing ideas for Season 3.

17. AricaBolts

AricaBolts Jedi Knight star 1

May 20, 2011
    Sigh.:_| I wasn't a big fan of Universe but still it was STAR GATE!!! :_|

I hope they come up with another TV show soon!

Maybe a Bunch of SG-1'S in training? (i loved foothold!)

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Is Stargate Universe Returning?

Apparently, not- at least not in relation to what David Hewlett was tweeting about. Apparently he was referring to his own film project he's shooting that will be using the Destiny sets that he owns.

19. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    If he owns the Destiny sets, then surely, at least a Blood and Chrone-style webseries might be possible?

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    He would still need the SG rights. It's up to MGM

21. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    That doesn't stop the Star Trek actors from participating in non - Paramount sanctioned Star Trek fanfilms.

22. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    If it was successful it might induce MGM to at least consider officailly reviving Stargate as a franchise.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Commercial bump during Syfy's SG-1 marathon today: "Because we Heart Stargate- and so do you!"

[​IMG]

Rebel_Padawan likes this.
  24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    As unlikely as it is to succeed, a fan-funded Season 3 kickstarter is running.

Personally, I think they should have aimed lower for, like, the equivalent of 6 episodes (or 3 movies), with a full season as a stretch goal. Still, it'll be interesting to see how much interest it generates.

I mean, if they do pull this off, well, that's just one less thing for me to do when I win the lottery. Means I can put more money into Tron Uprising Season 2 ;).

25. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    'Stargate' Reboot Will Finally Realize Original Franchise Plans, Says Producer

QueenSabe7 likes this.