main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation The Sith in Disney Trilogy

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by CoolyFett, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    That's still a Jedi-Sith head count. It's a balance of Force-users, not the balance of the Force. One usage of the term "balance" is not automatically equivalent to any other kind of "balance" that can be construed.

The Sith are not the dark side. Defeating the Sith does not mean the Force is "all good".

That would just make every Force user a dark Jedi and wouldn't have anything to do with promoting the balance of the Force. It's the balance of the Force, not the balance of individuals, or their Force use.

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Although Yoda's "misread" comment could be given additional meaning in the ST, I'm pretty sure GL intended ROTS to be the final Star Wars movie.

Spam Bot likes this.
  3. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    Plans change as we now see to be the case. I agree though that intention was to end there at the time though.

darklordoftech likes this.
  4. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    That's exactly what I was saying.

5. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    I don't mind seeing sith lords in the Disney trilogy, but they need to be as iconic as Palpatine, Vader & Maul

6. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Not really sure about that one, but its a good question?

7. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    The "Lost", meaning that he left. He wouldn't be considered "Fallen" until it was known he was on the dark side.

8. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    The real issue regarding the prophecy is that the characters are presumed to have read it, and we haven't. We haven't read one single solitary word of it, nor has a word of it even been quoted to us in dialogue. We don't know who wrote it, when it was written, under what circumstances, and we certainly cannot judge if it was read properly or misread if we don't know any of those things.

Lucas did indeed say that destroying the Sith represented the fulfillment of the prophecy, and for that reason alone I don't want to see them in the ST. but that all stems from the idea that Anakin was the Chosen One and, again, we haven't read the prophecy to be able to confirm that in our own minds. It seems right to us as an audience, based on what we have been told, to go with what we've been told and agree that Anakin did in fact destroy the Sith. The problem is Lucas was and is huge Indian-giver who changes his mind at the drop of a hat; that's the only reason for me to think that the notion of the prophecy may be in in for some further development whether we like it or not. At least that may mean we may actually get a chance to READ the damned thing...

9. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I'm afraid that if there are Sith in the ST, the leader would be Palpatine in all but name.

10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I think they're definitely going to drop the "rule of two" this time around. Full on Sith vs. Jedi brawls, yo!

11. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Yeah destroying the Sith by Anakin restored balance to the force... yadaa... yadaa...

Has it occurred to anyone but me that a balance must be maintained? We can certainly have sith again... it'd require another fall/conversion but that's not that big a deal to me. A sith is a threat to the balance of the force... but their existence alone didn't tip the balance since apparently Plageis and Sidious participated in a ritual that tipped the balance to the dark... and killing Sidious was apparently what reversed it.

12. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Per Lucas back when VI was going to be the last one. Let's see what he says NOW...

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  13. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I still maintain that any force-sensitive who isn't trained must be prone to using the Dark Side. "Quicky, easier, more seductive". Even if the Empire destroyed all but two of the Jedi, it's doubtful they could have found out everyone who was force-sensitive in just 20 years. Particularly since I'm sure many of them went into hiding. Imagine how many force-sensitives were free to come out of hiding after the death of the Sith, having developed a habit of using the Dark Side for the last umpteen years! No Jedi Order, No Sith. Only one jedi that stands in their way of total freedom to use their powers. Common sense would dictate this is the natural pool of antagonists for the ST.

14. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    I'm glad Disney is making these movies, hopefully the disney fans will enjoy it.

15. Corvax855

Corvax855 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2011
    This is absolutely correct. Plagueis and Sidious unbalanced the Force which was the culmination of a process that started with Tenebrous' master. However, Sith Lords and dark side users obviously existed before that even happened. Balance of the Force does NOT = no more Sith. Anakin still fulfilled the prophecy, but that doesn't mean there can never be anymore Sith. Any Sith in the ST will simply exist while the Force is in a state of balance. For all we know, there mission may be to unbalance it once more.

Julius Vernon and Arawn_Fenn like this.
  16. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Nope ;)

17. Frankakin skywalker

Frankakin skywalker Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 13, 2012
    Your Jedi thoughts are all wrong. In the immortal words of Darth Vader,"Your powers are weak, old man." Anakin brought balance to the force by killling both Jedi and Sith to even it out. The Jedi were to powerful in 1,2, and 3 so he killed off both sides to start over and even it out

18. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    George Lucas disagrees with you.

19. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, funny how Luke always gets forgotten in those equations. Being quite alive and all.

20. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    [face_shhh]

I think that gets handwaved by saying Luke used the dark side in RotJ, so therefore he's balanced....

21. obi_kenobi_24

obi_kenobi_24 Force Ghost star 4

Aug 17, 2003
    This actually is a really tough task.....Going to be hard to top Sids.....As far as movie villains goes, he's darn near number 1 at actually achieving their evil plans

I can't think of many villains that can say I damn near killed every good guy and ruled the entire Galaxy for decades

If another Sith wants to top that then, the writers may have to go all The Dark Knight an create a sith that "just wants to see The Galaxy Burn"

Some crazy psychopath Sith that manipulates a few factions giving them hope of future power all the while just looking to get into position enough to set off a Galactic sized force weapon

[​IMG]

"Everything Burns!!"

22. KevinM1

KevinM1 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 15, 2012
    I really hope the villain isn't an unknown Sith. The entire point of the PT was that the Sith waited, infiltrated the very top of the Republic's food chain, and manipulated things from the shadows while biding their time to strike. Having some Sith that essentially just out-waited Palpatine isn't interesting. It strikes me as a very anime way to address the villain ("I'm actually the old villain's brother/father/master! You must increase your strength to beat me!"), but ultimately unsatisfying. We don't need the Cooler to Palpatine's Freeza.

23. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Well if we’re gonna talk about various tropes, how about a Sith Lord that was “sealed in a can?” [face_mischief]

24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    There's been a few of those in the EU. The Lost Tribe were Sealed Evil On A Planet, Exar Kun could be thought of as Sealed Evil in a Pyramid, then there's Darth Krayt, and so on.

25. Spam Bot

Spam Bot Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 16, 2012
    I like the idea that the Sith are gone, but have left behind a "cult"; a group of Sith fanatics that has been developed all throughout's Darth Bane's lineage. Maintaining the Rule of Two, none of these acolytes were trained completely in the Sith Arts; just enough that they can be called upon to serve whatever ends the Sith Master and Sith Apprentice may require.

I actually believe both the OT and PT give ample evidence to the existence of such a group. Think of Mas Amedda and that pale bald woman who accompanied Palpatine frequently (Amedda was fairly unphased by seeing the new Emperor throw Yoda across the room using the Force). Think of those strangely-clad people in the Emperor's throne room in ROTJ when Luke is brought in.

It stands to reason that the Sith would have benefited from an extended network to accomplish their plan of galactic domination, and certainly some being trained in the Dark Side would have made them that much more valuable. Referring to the EU, we find a rough analogue in the "Emperor's Hands", but I think the cult should be much more numerous and expansive than just a few assassins. Surely, there would be assassins in their lot, as the Sith Lords would not want to perpetually get their hands dirty with every nuisance, but I would think they would perform more vital roles, like participating in the training of Apprentices, occupying positions of influence (case in point: Mas Amedda) and bodyguards (the royal guard, who by ROTJ, would have been privy to some pretty wild Sith stuff).

Think about it. Merely embracing the Dark Side doesn't make one a Sith. These cultists probably exist post-ROTJ, which provides a "Dark Sided" antagonist (several, in fact) without negating the Prophecy. And, while lacking the power of a Sith Lord, anyone of them could be a formidable opponent against the inexperienced Luke (he's only ever fought against the crippled Vader, who more or less toyed with him in both encounters). And they have every reason to go after him. Revenge for destroying the object of their worship (probably a fair bit of Force-brainwashing has gone on) and the possibility of turning Luke or Leia or either of their offspring to the Dark Side, for the Skywalkers are the last legacy of the Sith, the direct result of Darth Plagueis' experimenting with the Force.

Perhaps the Sith Cult see it like this: just as a Sith created the first Skywalker out of nothing but the Force, so too can a Skywalker recreate the Sith out of nothing but themselves. And that is the threat these cultists pose in the ST; not by being Sith, but by trying to bring them back. And so zealous are they in their solidarity to the Sith cause that if they can not bring about the return of the Sith, then they will settle for the destruction of the Skywalkers, the Jedi and all galactic civilisation.

Jedi Comedian likes this.