main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. Danz Borin

Danz Borin Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 16, 2012
    Coming from the person who replies only with snark, how is my replies any different? Especially to the attitude of Brenapp where he claims he's correct despite insurmountable evidence proving otherwise?

Esg likes this.
  2. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Don't abuse the power, or one day he may never come at all S3!

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  3. Brenapp

Brenapp Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    My post you quoted doesn't say anything about ignoring things I don't like. All I'm saying there is that I personally think cramming all of Anakin's post-AOTC adventures where he's still a Padawan into one month after Geonosis is a bit silly and unconvincing.

4. Danz Borin

Danz Borin Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 16, 2012
    Neither is cramming everything into the entire Clone Wars era. Cramming everything post-Yavin is pretty chaotic too.

Hell, seriously, Luke's life is ridiculous to begin with. All of the things he did and all of the places he's gone, in <40 years is pretty short of amazing. Same with Anakin Skywalker's life. The amount of time spent on traveling along should be an entire lifetime or two. Let alone the events therein, and even if each event was just 1 day, there's no way it'd fit within a 40 year window, let alone less than that.

That's the nature of universe EU, just like any other in-universe fiction. The more and more novels, comics, video games, movies, etc, that get added to a universe, the more it stretches credibility of those people being able to do it all.

Tzizvvt78 likes this.
  5. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Thanks! :)
    I guess the final Maul episode of the season will be a cliffhanger.

6. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    Nothing has been definitively rendered N-Canon yet. Only the contradictions themselves (EU deaths, namely) are considered N-canon. General events in each story still happen at some point, supposedly, and the timeline will likely be greatly shifted. Most republic comics all the way before obsession easily fit either before the show began, or early into the show's first 2 seasons, ignoring any explicit mentions of the old timeline dates. Obsession is the story most likely to be invalidated, but it can also still be retconned to happen in some lesser form if they choose. Leland hasn't said one way or another yet (His answer was literally "ask me again sometime" when I asked in his last chat).

After all, Obsession just got republished in the new TCW Omnibus. And we're getting a new novel that follows up CN books I-III and Jax Pavan's story. Even Piell will probably be described in the future as some other Jedi, but the rest of the story still happens. Even himself even still trained Jax at some point. He just no longer died in CN I.

Messy and sloppy? Yes. But Lucas really is the one responsible for this. He wants those character deaths his way. The rest of TCW's issues can more or less be worked out, especially as we seem to be heading towards a conclusion here either in season 6 or 7 (and I'm starting to think 6 based on the way they've been talking.)

7. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Ulicus and CooperTFN like this.
  8. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    lol, I find that highly unlikely.

The "loop" is actually a fairly common shape used in fictional spacecraft, I find it more likely to be inspired by this:

[​IMG]

9. Brenapp

Nov 26, 2012
    In the latest edition of the Star Wars Timeline Gold, Nathan Butler has (perhaps wisely) chosen to list the original timeline for the Clone Wars (i.e. all the novels, games and comics pre-TCW) separately from the timeline presented in TCW series. He gives some good reasons for his decision.

10. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    It's been like that for years.

Zeta1127 and Esg like this.
  11. Brenapp

Nov 26, 2012
    The latest edition was done in August.

12. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    I have only recently started watching this show occasionally, and let me just say that it is so incerdibly terrible.
    It's difficult to watch, mostly because of how childish, stupid, and unrealistic the story-lines and dialogue are.
    But every episode contradicts previous continuity and even the movies at evey turn.

Other than continuity and quality issues, there are other problems.
    The 2 episodes i watched recently involved
    (1) a kowakian monkey lizard who's only lines were repeats (basically exact recordings) from Jabba's in ROTJ.
    (2) similarly they had "Imperial Probe Droids" being used by the seperatists, who communicated constantly in the exact same code (also exact recordings) as was used in ESB (what was also supposed to be an Imperial Code . . . which shouldn't exist yet).

Like, seriously, how hard is it to make new lines for a monkey-lizard and a probe droid without copy & pasting from the Original Trilogy

Brenapp likes this.
  13. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Damn that Ben Burtt and his consistency.

Darth_SHOT and JoinTheSchwarz like this.
  14. Brenapp

Nov 26, 2012
    If they're planning on milking it for some years yet, I think things'll get even worse as it goes on. And did it really have to go on as long as it has? Loads of stuff in the show just seems so unnecessary to me. Honestly, the only storylines I really care that much about are the Mandalore arc with Duchess Satine, and the Mortis arc. The rest is just padding.

Esg likes this.
  15. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I dunno, I've liked more than I've disliked on this show. In terms of hit-or-miss, it's got about the same track record as the rest of the EU imo.[face_dunno]

16. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Starting fights with everyone you see is actually a very effective way to meet new people.

Ulicus and CooperTFN like this.
  17. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    HOW DARE YOU?? :mad:

instantdeath likes this.
  18. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Prior to that as well, per his interviews.

19. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Are you looking to start a fight... or coming on to me?

20. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Why ruin the surprise?

21. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I don't like surprises. I prefer it when people scream at me. Bonus points if the screaming is phrased as a question, but the speaker clearly doesn't expect an answer.

22. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I can't look at the Clone Wars timeline any other way but separately, because it isn't worth it for me to take TCW seriously.

General Immodet likes this.
  23. Brenapp

Nov 26, 2012
    Given the choice, I'd much rather have the novels and comic books produced before the TV series.

General Immodet and Zeta1127 like this.
  24. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    There is not actually a conflict here, merely a misunderstanding of context. The Republic Commando novels state that the Republic doesn't care for the long-term health of the clones. Debilitating injuries that can't be readily fixed, such as brain trauma, become more trouble then they're worth. Since the trooper can no longer serve in either a combat or support capacity, they're left to die rather than squander time, money, and resources on an "asset" that is no longer beneficial to the war effort. However, the Republic Commando series acknowledges the Rimsoos and med frigates established by the MedStar novel duology, and make note of such medical procedures as prosthetic limb replacements and bacta immersion, procedures which are logically being performed aboard the Kaliida facility and others like it.

Issues concerning Mandalore and the Mandalorians, on the other hand, have been deftly dealt with by the likes of Jason Fry. Through his efforts and others', both versions of the planet and its inhabitants remain canon, each society—New Mandalorian pacifists and traditional warrior clans—living separate but at peace with each other, with the Death Watch on the outskirts of the culture.

25. Brenapp

Nov 26, 2012
    There are still lots of other discrepancies, and frankly, I don't entirely trust Lucasfilm to reconcile them in a satisfactory manner.

Zeta1127 likes this.