main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    VadersLaMent
    they talk to the Eagles in the book, and there is an explanation. But.....Jackson doesn't like talking animals, apparently. So spiders are now telepathic, and eagles don't talk....

2. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    IMO it would look silly for an animal to talk in the LOTR or Hobbit Films, but hopefully the Smaug talking

3. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    So true and it was kinda nice to see a cameo appearance of the Witch King

4. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    Smaug talks. Cause Orcs talk. Monsters can talk, just not earth-like animals.

5. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Does anyone get the sneaking suspicion that the Hobbit: Part III will end with a five minute sequence wherein Elijah Wood finishes his apple? (Perhaps in slow-motion?)

-NaTaLie- and Bacon164 like this.
  6. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    No. Not at all.

7. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    [​IMG]

Phoenician JCers do the Hobbit!

8. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    *facepalm* No, when Frodo leaves Bag End with a book in his hand, he goes to a tree and sits down and reads it,

Miana Kenobi likes this.
  9. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    No, but I'm pretty sure we'll get a whole movie out of the Battle of the Five Armies intercut with whatever they're going to do at Dol Guldur. PJ's mission is to fix Tolkien. Humanism? What humanism? CGI battles with shaky cam is what the modern audience wants :rolleyes:

10. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I really would prefer not to have the last movie be a 3 hour epic battle. I expect that from Michael Bay and not Jackson.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  11. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    The Battle of the Five Armies will be at the beginning of the 3rd movie then it the movie will have Bilbo on his way home and will also show Gandalf and the attack on Dol Guldor

12. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Let's see, 5'1", 5'6", 5'8, 5'11".

How close am I?

13. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Natalie: Ever since I watched Aragorn decapitate the Mouth of Sauron (reducing Tolkien's defining statement of hope and faith to a mordant punchline), I've dreaded a prospective Battle of the Five Armies treatment.

I'm actually glad that Tolkien isn't alive to see what Jackson will do to this truncated glimpse into the horrors-of-war. It'll be a goddamn video game, make no mistake.

14. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    I enjoyed it. Overlong and lacks the majesty of the LOTR's trilogy, but still a good movie. The Riddles in the Dark scene stole the show.

Still, I'd love to edit this movie, because I'd chop the hell out of it.

15. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Finally get to see this thing tomorrow. Bought tickets for IMAX HFR OM*G 3D.

Nice try. :p

16. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    I've dreaded a prospective Battle of the Five Armies treatment.[/quote]

I tried to forget that abomination. It's in the extended version, isn't it? Originally, Aragorn was supposed to fight Sauron himself (!). Only the fans' outraged made PJ to abandon that idiocy and change it to some random troll fight.

The Battle of the Five Armies will probably get the Hornburg's defense treatment. Helm's Deep is only a chapter in The Two Towers. How much time does it take in the movie?

I'm also pretty sure that tactics won't make any sense, because PJ probably thinks he knows more about it that a British army officer and a veteran of WWI.

I so wish Tolkien didn't sell his rights to Hollywood. Unfortunately, he'd always needed money before the books suddenly became wildly popular in the 1960s. If only he'd waited for a few more years...

He's certainly been rolling in his grave since 1997. If anyone doubts that, check letter 210 in "The Letters of J.R.R.Tolkien" where he critiques the screenplay of the movie that was sent to him. A lot of it can apply to PJ's attempt:

Pretty much how I feel about TTT and ROTK. I hate them with a passion that some SW fans reserve for the prequels. But the worst you can say about Lucas is that he messed up his own universe, not someone else's, after all his promises to be faithful to the books. I don't know why the die-hard fans are not giving PJ more grief over his mistreatment of Tolkien's message :mad:

17. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    I also love how you can easily figure out which Dwarf is Gloin by the color of his beard :)

18. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    There is a raging battle on Tumblr right now over whether Thranduil is riding a moose or a great Elk.

19. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
  20. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I want a rabbit drawn sled.

Jedi Merkurian and Rew like this.
  21. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    Don't think that works in real life. And PETA would probably try to get you...

22. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002

I'd like to see them try.

23. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012

NYCitygurl and VadersLaMent like this.
  24. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    I loved that rabbit sled and those rabbits were freaking fast

25. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I saw an estimate years ago based on Tolkien art and the value of Smaug's hoard. It was something over 300 billion dollars. Off the cuff I'd say the film hoard is far larger than any former depiction.