main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Derp, DERP. Derpitimus Maximus. Derpity deeeeeeerp...

Discussion in 'Community' started by VadersLaMent, Sep 4, 2012.

1. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Darth_Smeagol and VadersLaMent like this.
  2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    That's quite a crusade you're on against religion, timmo.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  3. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I spotted a different highlight: "Most Christians are really atheists who feel trapped in their family’s religion."

Must...resist...the urge...to laugh...

Ah, hell with it:
    [​IMG]

darthhelinith likes this.
  4. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    It's true, though. There are many closet atheists who are afraid to speak out because of their family's beliefs.

5. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I don't discount that there are some. I think it's absurd to say that it's true of the majority of Christians. But I don't want to start a fight. :)

I mean, I'll admit there are also Christians who are insulting towards atheists. I try not to be personally and I know other Christians who aren't. But, sure, some are.

6. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    ""This is vile. When you depict Jesus on the cross with a crown of thorns, this is exploitative."

Well, guess that eliminates all the crucifixes with Jesus on it wearing a crown of thorns my Catholic family has.

Lowbacca_1977 likes this.
  7. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    A crapload of great paintings too.

8. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I actually hid my atheism from my family for a while. So I can certainly confirm that it happens.

Also, I can't remember the last time I saw a crucifix sans the crown of thorns.

timmoishere likes this.
  9. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Paintings with penises.
    [​IMG]

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  10. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    So the recent clip of Bill O'Reilly bullying an atheist and calling him a fascist was just a hallucination?

Well, that's a relief.

timmoishere likes this.
  11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Ready?

Huckabee

CAVUTO: You know, invariably, people ask after tragedies like this, "How could God let this happen?"
    HUCKABEE: Well, you know, it's an interesting thing. We ask why there is violence in our schools but we have systematically removed God from our schools. Should we be so surprised that schools would become a place of carnage? Because we've made it a place where we don't want to talk about eternity, life, what responsibility means, accountability - that we're not just going to have be accountable to the police if they catch us, but one day we stand before, you know, a holy God in judgment. If we don't believe that, then we don't fear that. And so I sometimes, when people say, why did God let it happen. You know, God wasn't armed. He didn't go to the school. But God will be there in the form of a lot people with hugs and with therapy and awhole lot of ways in which he will be involved in the aftermath. Maybe we ought to let him in on the front end and we wouldn't have to call him to show up it's all said and done at the back end.

12. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Sadly, I can't say I'm surprised at the religious right already starting that rhetoric.

13. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  15. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Damn. That's incredible.

16. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Well she's the one that Tweeted America died the night Obama was reelected, so I really can't say I'm surprised.

17. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Oh! I didn't look at first. Victoria D. Jackson.

18. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    You know, the Christians may be able to justify the shooting on the separation of church and state, but is God not allowed in shopping malls? What about movie theaters in Colorado? And here's the big one: in April of this year, a gunman opened fire at a Christian college in Oakland. Care to explain that one, Mr. Huckabee?

19. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    The grasp these people have on basic Christian theology and theodicy is incredibly facile and shallow. As a Christian, I have wrestled quite seriously and deeply with the issues surrounding the existence of a good God and the existence of evil and suffering. So have many, many great minds throughout history. And then these idiots come along and just say whatever illogical, ignorant things come into their harebrains. Makes me mad. There is a long, long tradition of Christian philosophy surrounding why bad things happen in this life; try using it. I shouldn't be surprised; Christianity is becoming less and less intellectual and thoughtful with every passing day, it seems. Huckabee and this Fischer guy probably couldn't define the very word theodicy if their lives depended on it, much less have spent any time thinking on any deep level about the issues surrounding it.

Platelet likes this.
  20. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  21. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Westboro Church Update

There website was hacked during a live interview. Haw Haw.

Today whilst listenign to right wing radi:

The Victoria Jackson drawing some kind of line from the Conn attack to abortion thingy, they all are. Beck, Limbaugh, etc.

The Huckabee item above; he acted like he was being taken out of context, then not only said the exact same thing but also said that the whole thing is a result of secularism since without a god to give you morals then death only hurts for a moment so killing becomes ok.

22. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  23. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    Glad they're finally admitting Mel Gibson exploited them.

24. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I think I understand where Gingrich is coming from. Even Huckabee.

What they mean with God is the pastor that used to come by their houses when they were little boys. To check up on the family. See how everyone's doing. To nudge mom to make some more babies. He'd have his own seat at the table, his own bottle in the cabinet, and he'd bring his unique, mystifying stories. And he had this at every house in his flock. That guy bound the community together, and made sure that strange behaviour would not go unchecked. He was the eyes behind the front door.

The Western world secularized, and what goes on behind the front door is now private. You have a search warrant? There's no doubt that social services serve less households on a personal basis than pastors did.

What actually makes their argument disingenious is that, in the time those pastors were around, there was also large-scale discrimination and land grab going on. To think civilization was more morally just in that era is... backward.

25. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Obviously, Gingrich and company have not heard of the 1927 school bombing that killed 38 kids in grades 3 - 6. The bomber was the school custodian and attended church regularly. If I find the article, I'll post the link. Just read it this morning.