main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Should Darth Tyrannus have used Sith Lightning?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Sitara, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    In my opinion, Darth Tyrannus should not have used Sith Lightning. Yes, his lightning is a crackle compared to the veritable storm Sidious conjures up, but it still infringes on the power and uniqueness of the Sith Master, Darth Sidious.

Making Sidious be the only one who used Sith Lightning makes him appear even more powerful, which is a good thing IMO.

Another thing: When Yoda absorbs or deflects lightning it appears to be really hard for him to do. But Dooku was able to deflect it with his palm very easily and without any effort. Furthermore, his hands did not glow like Yoda's did when he did so. Why is that? Because he was using the Dark Side to deflect it?

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    The Sith are stronger than the Jedi, especially with aggressive powers.

3. Sitara

Oct 8, 2001
    Wouldn't deflecting something be defensive rather than aggressive?

4. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I'm cool with it, Dooku had to have something going for him.

5. Sitara

Oct 8, 2001
    Well, he already had lightsaber skills, telekenisis skills...why add lightning? He would easily have won using those. Heck, add in choke as he used it in ROTS if you want balatant dark side use...but in the end, what difference does it make?

6. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Well, in terms of style, his lightsaber skills in the movies come off as totally boring, because Christopher Lee (when he was actually involved) couldn't do anything more than just stand in place and wave his arms around.

His lightsaber style in the EU is described more like fencing and I think it would have been awesome to see some one handed Errol Flynn style fencing from Dooku, like Christopher Lee pulled off quite well in the Three Musketeer movies.

Then why ask the question?

7. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    What about Darth Tyranus? ;)

Sitara and Vialco like this.
  8. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Word. I really hate it when people get Dooku's Sith title wrong.

It's Darth Tyranus, people.

9. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    I can't blame them, I believe every derivative of the word has two 'n's, except tyrant.

Tyrannus/tyrannos I believe is Greek, while Tyrannis is Latin.

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dooku

I'm seeing it spelled both ways on Wook.

Semantics, people.

I definitely have no problem with Dooku using Force lightning. The films did enough to make Palpatine into a Villain Sue without making him the only one with such a power.

DarthButt likes this.
  11. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    The only time it's spelled Tyrannus in the article is in the BtS section to show the etymology of the word.

And I agree, I have no problem with Dooku using Force lightning either. It only enhances Christopher Lee's character.

12. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    since Dooku is my second favourite character in the series,

I'd have to say it was surpring and rather good he used lightning,

HOWEVER:

Palps should have done something a bit more shocking than the sith lightning in the next film to show that he was stronger than Dookyuin terms of force power

maybe a sith power ball or something else

I remember creating a thread years ago: 2006 I think where I stated from movie evidence Dooku's lightning seemed stronger than Sidious'

boy was that an unpopular theory..

13. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I like it-it's also quite the contrast to Sidious' lightnings. Nobody seems to have trouble with deflecting Dooku's lightning; Yoda looks abit tense but that's about it. EVERYONE in ROTS who has to contend with Sidious' lightning makes it look like quite the struggle! Mace grimaces, so does Yoda. Obi-Wan deflecting Dooku's barely even moves and Yoda has zero trouble at all, by comparison. Not on the same level by far.

Marco1907 likes this.
  14. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    I remember the same arguments used for the thread I created

but I suppose this isn't the thread to hehash why I think Dooku had the strongest lightning in terms of AOTC VS ROTS :p

15. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Your lack of punctuation betrays you :p

DarthRelaxus likes this.
  16. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    shut up :p

I'm tired, and have trouble typing at the best of times (OCD, distressing images that seem strongest when typing on my keyboard) so forgive me if my posts don't read correctly, i'm more of a speaker than a typer ;)

17. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    I'm sorry, just hassling you. :p

Sistros likes this.
  18. Sitara

Oct 8, 2001
    Sith power ball? Is that a galaxy wide lottery scheme whereby a sithlord convinces his enemies they have won the lotto, and then...kills them while they are celebrating and their defences are down? Nice...I like it! :p

But yes, exactly. Either Dooks should never have used Lightning, or Sidious should have used something even more terrible: Say transforming in a monstrous creature with massive bat like wings that allow him to fly in space (kinda like Dookus solar sailer). This creature would fire a beam of pure dark energy from it's mouth (breath weapon) that could destroy entire planets. He would destroy coruscant with it. He would then reveal it to be the ancient war form of the Sith Lords of Old.

It would explain why Vader considers the power of the death star insignificant compared to the power of the Force.

19. Felicia

Felicia Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    Sith Lightning is a Force Power that any Sith Lord can use from what I have seen if they are very attuned to the darkside. What made Sidious appear more powerful is the intensity in which the lightning was unleashed by Sidious.

Vialco likes this.
  20. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    [​IMG]

yup, the intense lightning that Sidious unleashed really shoved Mace back with powerful force..or is Mace wearing magnetic shoes to the floor?

even when using two hands to unleash the "powerful" lightning Mace...stands there glued to the floor.

while just after this shot Dooku's lightning lifts Anakin into the air for a couple of seconds before he succumbs to a wall (one handed too) see:

[​IMG]

21. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Anakin's running. Not at all the same.

And then there's the "ohhh yaaaawn" Obi-Wan has:

[​IMG]

Compare it to Yoda:

[​IMG]

I think the difference is clear. Yoda, who has always been placed higher on the oomph score than Obi-Wan, is struggling with Palpatine's lightning. Obi-Wan doesn't with Dooku's. Nor does Yoda with Dooku's:

[​IMG]

That an angry padawan gets swatted when he's running at the guy with his guard literally down proves nothing.

Felicia and Count Yubnub like this.
  22. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    the thing I see though is the difference in attitude between the two characters weilding the lightning.

Dooku's approach to me was "back off, or i'll hurt you"

Sidious attitude was: "raaaahhhhh dieeeee everyoneee" (my theatrics there :p)

and we never see Dooku use two hands against Yoda (which I always thought odd)

It just kind of bugs me that Mace stands there while being blasted at close range with intense force power.

23. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Well, to be fair, Dooku focuses mainly on being a fancy nancy with his sabre, always enjoyed seeing an angry slave boy bludgeon him to bits and then literally manhandle him :p

But Mace doesn't just stand there, at least not before his hand just gets slashed off. He blocks it with a struggle, like Yoda does against Sidious...and nobody does against Dooku. Obi-Wan actually looks kinda bored. :p

24. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    I see your point about Anakin running towards him (and that may have contributing to him being lifted) but to me, he's suspended in the air for a couple of seconds before being thrown back, as if being held by the currents themselves.

And I still maintain that nobody struggles against Dooku is because everyone seemed half arsed (can I say that?) in that scene :p including Dooku himself.

You see back to Mace, that is what doesn't make sense to me, as you say he IS struggling when he has his lightsaber, But as soon as he loses it and is blasted for about 10 seconds; the force of the blast doesn't even knock him over or backwards, it is literally like he is stuck to the floor, and then what seems like a force push eventually throws him to his death.

25. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    You could crop that up to the same reasoning as your complaints about the Dooku duel.

And, well, ask Luke how long he was stuck to the floor when Palpatine hit him with that first blast, or how Vader's and Mace's bones both glowed under prolonged exposure to Sidious' lightning...that's some serious wattage :p

Not to mention that Mace is pretty clearly totally immobilized-the second Palpatine hit him it was over.