main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Have SW acronyms ruined your life?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jeff_Ferguson, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Let's face it: We're lazy typists who love our acronyms. We love asserting that the post-NJO EU was ruined by the DNT, LOTF, and FOTJ, but that MF and CC were pretty good. We love discovering tidbits from TOR in DOTJ, and arguing about the continuity problems created by TCW and SW: DB: POD: ANOTOR. We love citing the EGTW and the DESB when someone asks a canon question.

So with the meanings of all 836 of our common acronyms firmly entrenched in your brain --- how often do you find yourself thinking of Star Wars when an acronym is used in a non-SW situation? Do you smile upon seeing an NEC computer? When you hear a newscaster say that Croatia is interested in getting into the EU, is your first thought "They should start with Heir to the Empire?"

My University had an Occupational and Physical Therapy building that was labelled "OT/PT building" on the campus map. I was like "Wow! Both trilogies!" There's also a TV channel where I live called SBS, which I think is kinda neat.

2. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I find this site is decent about it, but I hate cruising the web and finding people using acronyms without referring to what the acronym means earlier in the sentence. Makes my life 0.0001 harder, I tell you.

And yes, the main one is definitely EU. Sad that the EU comes to mind before all of Europe? Perhaps.

3. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    [Obligatory joke about LOTF ruining my life]

The EU trips me up sometimes. I'm used enough to seeing it in context that it's not often, but sometimes.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Only when I accidentally use an acronym to refer to a Star Wars book or film around a more casual fan who doesn't know what they are. I said something about "TPM" around my brother and he looked at me like I had three heads. (That was probably the same day he told me that one day I would find myself outside a theater wearing a Chewbacca costume wondering what happened to my life, but I digress.)

Seeing "EU" in news stories does mess me up, and the "OT/PT building" makes me think of the "In which should people watch the saga?" threads.

5. Apophis_

Apophis_ Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    LotF and FotJ are great, CC sux.

I live in Poland - member of European Union - and I never had a problem with "EU". When I think about Star Wars, EU means Expanded Universe, when I think about other things, EU is releated to European Union - I never had problem with that.

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yeah, EU trips me up sometimes and I live in one of the countries..

How about non-SW books with titles that could be from SW? I have an old paperback called Black Sun and every time I see the title in the bookcase I think of Prince Xizor and company.

7. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Sort of off-base but related: I've become so used to seeing "Knights of the Old Republic" as "KOTOR" that I'll inadvertently refer to it as that in conversation. Which I'll attest is rather stupid and will earn you lots of "WTF?"-stares.

Zer0, CT-867-5309 and darthcaedus1138 like this.
  8. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Huh, everyone knows what I'm talking about IRL when I say KotOR. My roommates also know what I mean when I refer to LoltF.

9. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Weird... I've never even thought about how the EU and EU have the same acronym... hah, now I'll probably not be able to get that out of my head for a few days. :p

And KOTOR? I've never had a problem with that myself, but actually found it kinda weird when one of the BioWare guys on the early TOR developer interviews was talking about "Kotor" as an actual word... sounded odd.

10. MandoBones

MandoBones Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 2, 2012
    I'm actually quite fortunate, in that my friends are mostly SW nerds like I am. We speak about KOTOR and TOR and ESB without a problem. It's pretty good times.

11. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
  12. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Shouldn't CC just be C?

13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    That was a lot more acronyms out there than I thought.

14. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    There were many which I have never seen in discussions (CT? BR?) and of course it doesn't have HIM, His Imperial Majesty, nor GODV, the environmental thriller, the love story and the story of seeking redemption and perfection through three eyes.

15. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah, nice catch. :p

I've definitely chuckled to myself a few times when I see SW acronyms elsewhere. Even my initials are the same as a certain SW book, among other things.

16. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    i also always say kotor and some people don't know what i'm talking about. i don't really use them that much relating to star wars though...

17. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    lol

Well there was a funny moment some two years when I overheard two colleagues in the teachers' room talking about the impending "end of the EU". I almost jumped in before I figured they were talking about the financial crisis -- and then I jumped in anyway, seeing as I have strong opinions on both referents of the acronym.
    I wonder how many people have been misled the other way around though... getting weird results when they google EU-related stuff and find all the apocalyptic stuff in here or the EU-bashing in the movie forums. Hell what with automated crawler programs amassing and analyzing data for big companies and government agencies (including the EU's) I wonder if they're now analyzing a huge spike in popular discussion pro and contra the European Union that somehow inexplicably coincides with the Lucasfilm/Disney announcement...

CaptainPeabody likes this.
  18. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    ...with many people declaring that "EU is not real anyway, so it could well be destroyed"

You have a point there. In the last two months I have definitely got the EUs mixed up more since the "Is this the end of EU?" comments are so close to each other.

19. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Oh yeah, a specific one I see a lot is WOTC- work opportunity tax credit.

20. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I always see Talking Points Memo referred to as TPM.

21. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    TLC is an example of a sort of reverse-one. I was familiar with The Learning Channel long before I began talking about SW books on the internet, so it immediately comes to mind whenever someone abbreviates The Last Command.

It's also a good thing that Millennium Falcon wasn't called Behold: Millennium Falcon or Best Millennium Falcon or something similar...

22. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    I'm proud to say that TLC as in Tender Loving Care makes me think of Michael Jackson first, and "Don't get chasing waterfalls" only second.

Jeff_Ferguson likes this.
  23. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    I like how AotC ATTACK of the CLONES
    Turns to RotS REVENGE of the SITH
    Later... RotJ RETURN of the JEDI
    Then LotF LEGACY of the FORCE
    Then FotJ FATE of the Jedi
    Will Become SotJ SWORD of the JEDI

AotC, RotS, RotJ, LotF, FotJ, SotJ....

Why don't we just get a wookieepedia generator to spit out two nouns to put on either side of "of the"

_______________ of the __________________

Temple of the Jedi
    Light of the Galaxy

24. Mirax Terrik

Mirax Terrik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 11, 2000
    I was really confused the first time I saw a beer labeled with ESB. I thought it was really weird that Star Wars was branching out into adult beverages.

25. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    has anyone ever actually used CC for crosscurrent? afaik everyone just says crosscurrent and that acronym was made up for the purpose of this thread