main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Which Jedi turned Sith has the best downfall/redemption?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Slowpokeking, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I think Anakin has the best redemption, the overall idea of his downfall is also awesome but it was not portrayed well enough in the film.

Ulic and Revan's downfall got too much to do with plot device, Traya and Dooku are quite good.

2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Ventress, fo sho. I just find her understandable and believable.

Freedon Nadd, I find his fall irritating, it could have been easily avoided. He was basically trolled.

Alema Rar, she's just a train wreck I can't look away from.

3. Cosmo Viking

Cosmo Viking Jedi Youngling

Dec 16, 2012
    Ulic Qel Droma.

General Immodet likes this.
  4. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I thought Anakin's had one of the weakest, but then it has also had some of the most coverage from many, many authors, so the quality of the portrayal varies greatly, unfortunately. For instance, the RotS novelization has a great portrayal of Anakin thanks to Stover, but then plenty of other times it makes it look like Anakin was already a jerk and just waiting to fall. Some stories showed Anakin was a good guy but that too many tragic events ruined him (which was probably partially the point of the Clone Wars too), other times (particularly the prequels) its hard to see him as a Jedi period, although most of the time he's with Obi-wan so the contrast really stands out. I do like his eventual redemption though, since even as Darth Vader he's not really happy, but Luke's example finally inspires him to change, despite the cost and to everyone's surprise (even Force ghost Obi-wan wasn't expecting that), and he's rewarded.

The current canon version of Revan's fall is pretty lame. He went out looking for whoever manipulated the Mandalorians, found him, tried to personally kill him and ended up mostly brainwashed before partially giving himself amnesia as a way out of some of the brainwashing. The original KotOR version or even the possibilities presented by KotOR II (assuming you accept anything Kreia says) was a bit more subtle, that Revan fought too ruthlessly and the horrors of the Mandalorian Wars corrupted him, and KotOR II hinted that he was conquering the Republic to prepare it for the True Sith (although that was probably just another of Kreia's crazy theories), and its arguable that in the current canon him being scarred by war left him easy to corrupt by the Sith Emperor, but still, the Revan novel (and the Old Republic MMO) don't help his story much.

I still love Ulic Qel-Droma's redemption as one of my favorite Star Wars stories. His fall was pretty fast and was due to his own flaws and extra pressure (drugs, poison, pride, etc.), but seeing him try to live with himself after that (that it took his brother's murder to finally see what he had become) and then finding peace by teaching was a pretty good story, as well as him fading into the Force as proof that he did redeem himself (good artwork helps a lot too).

Another personal favorite is Lucien Draay's fall and eventual... not so much redemption, but at least he's trying a new path. He was always a jerk, but then neglected by his mother, raised by Haazen and missing his father certainly didn't help his empathy much. Not to mention ordering the murder of all of their padawans "for the greater good" and who knows how many other shady things. Yet at the end he helps Zayne (and sends him flying to safety) and he rejects the path of a Sith Lord, of a Lord of Pain, and finds his own way. Not quite making up for everything before, but at least he didn't just end up as a Sith Lord.

Ajunta Pall from KotOR (and Rajivari from TOR) I also like, in that they've both seen and done a lot of things and... it took centuries, but they see the error of their ways and don't take too much convincing to just fade into the light. There's also that Sith Lord entombed on Dromund Kaas who actually figured out that all the evil mwa-ha-ha of the dark side isn't true power, he had a line about how fear is temporary, passion is easily manipulated, but only by serving the Force itself is true power obtained, that in the end there is only the Force... which is actually surprisingly close to the Jedi philosophy of serving the Force above all. Funny enough the local Sith are really scared of his "radical" ideas. Its probably up on Youtube somewhere.

5. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I don't see how Ulic chose to fall, he was drugged.

rumsmuggler and RC-1991 like this.
  6. Cosmo Viking

Dec 16, 2012
    He is out because he was never a sith.

7. Brenapp

Brenapp Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    Wasn't Jacen's spirit redeemed in some capacity?

8. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Absolutely!

Cosmo Viking likes this.
  9. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
  10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Flint wasn't exactly a Jedi before, though, was he?

11. Cosmo Viking

Dec 16, 2012
  12. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Halagad Ventor deserves an honorable mention.

Gorefiend likes this.
  13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Not truly. His spirit isn't all-evil, but it's still Sith.

14. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Oh lord, Tales of the Jedi and your stupid plot points...

That said, Ulic's redemption was handled incredibly well. Would be even more powerful if he wasn't essentially redeeming a really bad drug trip.

One of my favorite redemption's is actually from the Jedi Knight story in TOR. I can't remember his name, but redeeming that Sith Lord was the highlight of the story for me (especially when he showed up again later in the story to thank you).

One of the best "failed redemption's" is Dooku. Both Christopher Lee's acting and Stover's prose really make you feel sorry for the guy, right before the end. He realizes that he'd been thoroughly duped, the moment before he's killed for it. I imagine that's what they were going for with Jacen.

LordDlow and darklordoftech like this.
  15. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    From a drug that he was coerced into taking.

16. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Dooku totally accepted the philosophy of the Sith beside the betrayal.

17. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    Ulic Qel-Droma had by far the best redemption story, He was a Jedi, and then joined Exar Kun as a sith. He was stripped of the force my Nomi Sunrider, but later trained Nomi's daughter in the ways of the jedi,. He was soon after shot and killed but shockingly was inveloped by the light of the force and vanished. great story

darklordoftech likes this.
  18. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Qel-Droma's redemption. A rare example of a KJA tale that not only doesn't suck but it's actually pretty good.

19. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Jerec. Getting impaled by Kyle Katarn is the only way to redeem one's self for working for the likes of Jocasta Nu.

20. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    Darth Gravid!

21. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Anakin Skywalker has always had the best and most complete fall/redemption story to me. Uliq's fall was well done I thought, and all the more tragic because he really wan't fully in control of himself because of the Sith Poison pumping through his veins. Alema Rar's fall made her into one of the most interesting characters in the entire series for me, and i'm still a little depressed that she's not still around stirring up trouble in some corner of the galaxy. I like Revan's before the whole Sith Emperor thing came into play. And finally I liked Ajunta Pall's redemption. He'd spent centuries doing nothing but thinking of his past, his mistakes, and wallowing in them. He truly came to understand and regret the things he'd done, realized he was in the wrong, and found redemption in it.

DurararaFTW likes this.
  22. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I enjoy Quinlan's descent into darkness and his acceptance of that as a part of him, so he's my vote.

23. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Technically you could argue despite his lack of inhibitions he still chose the Dark Path, the same way getting wasted and killing someone still makes you liable

24. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I think people overstate the importance of the poison. I remember his fall being mostly do to his arrogance: being utterly and irrationally convinced that joining the Naddists was the only way to stop them, and being so sure that he could resist the temptations of the dark side.

25. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Quinlan Vos.
    I also have to say that I liked Alema in LOTF. Don't ask me why. Hated her in DNT but was sympathetic towards her in LOTF. One of the best things Denning did in the Post NJO timeline