main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Slaves of the Republic Story Arc

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Dark-Fox, Nov 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012

I still say that if a few hundred gungans can be "copy and paste" into a scene that had already a lot then this was just lame that did not plan well ahead.

It would have not been boring if done like the gungans scene from Gungan attack. It would have been much better and allowed for people not to be confused what happened to 49985 colonists.

In the end, as a Separatist I say the Republic officially killed those people and just praised their failure.

2. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Nah, its another instance where TCW expecting the viewer to assume and think for themselves that all the slaves were rescued. A line about what more slaves being out there would have been nice but It was probably thought no additional explanation was needed. Its easy enough to assume more were rescued when the screen was going back and forth. It would be very, very difficult and expensive to animate 50,000 persons jumping down onto the Star Destroyer.

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan, How many Gungans do you want to estimate were actually in that scene? I'm going with maybe a couple hundred tops and less tweaking would likely have to be done to the Gungan model. I'd compare it to how the wildebeest scene in The Lion King was animated. That's a big difference.

3. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    I really liked the Slaves story arc, just as I did like the comic. It was one of the few episodes to expand Anakin's backstory. Every episode should be like this.
    The main theme of the story arc refers to the dialogue between Anakin en Qui-Gon in Episode 1. Anakin just can't save every slave, even if he is a Jedi Knight.

I agree that the comic was a bit better than the episodes. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan has made a point. I too want to see more Separatist leaders in the TCW.

4. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    There were enough Gungans shown falling into the water to make the feel of a large group being sent and not a small backup. I mean it is a far away shot and those gungans are probably card board cutouts like what TCW did with the Mando parade from S3 but still...

That does look a lot better than just 15 gungans...

[​IMG]

The point is not to have an exact 50 000 people but to create a feel that MANY people get off the Kadavo instalation.

The cruiser Coburn came with is very small to house many people.

The comic has more things that made sense and they were cut from the show.

AMEN! I am happy more and more people do. In this episode like in the comics a CIS leader like Shu Mai or San Hill or Passel Argente would have been more appropriate. Them more than random hutts or a stupid reminder of the worst episode of TCW aka Nix Card.

5. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    If TCW introduced Wodrata, its writers would have carte blache!
    I would love to see Sora Bulq as an adviser to the Separatist Council.

6. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    Wodrata, Tikkes, Argente - ANYBODY would be fine. Tikkes almost made it into S4 but like always, if something needs to be cut - it is usually the CIS part of an episode.

7. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    How would the clones and Ahsoka have managed to carry out that many people? How long do you think it would have taken to show them all sliding down the ropes? That's the point. Its still done that way do to a technical issue and time constraints. I don't think the top of the cruiser would be large enough to have that many people believably land on it at once. So TCW fell back on the viewers imagination. I don't believe it made much sense from a production stand point to copy and paste that many models in this situation. Not to mention as I said the Gungan models would require less tweaking per unit.

8. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012

The Republic are experts at stalling. A few dozen clones more and a bigger ship would have been enough to do the job.

A far away shot showing the entire fast process of getting all the togrutas off the installation would have been fine. How did they manage to do it so well in Corruption!?

9. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I loved this Arc :p

Seerow likes this.
  10. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    I know you would. Since it did focus a lot on Anakin. ;)

11. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    and he was a badass in it, taking like 6 of those electro whips like a boss ;)

12. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    That was a total fan service to make him look pretty strong.

13. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Cause he is strong

14. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    The concept of fan-service as a derogatory term eludes me. Most fiction is made with the goal of pleasing fans. Star Wars deliberately had a pre-film roll-out of the novelization in 1976 to entice sci-fi fans.

Anyway, this is perhaps my favorite arc of TCW, and Kidnapped is definitely one of my favorite episodes. It's got a very authentic comic book or 1930's pulp vibe. I love the environments and how fast they change. I like to think of TCW as something of a replacement for the PT so hearing about Anakin's slave past is great because it makes Ep. I less and less important. I would have much preferred for the PT to have covered a subject like that in this manner instead of wasting a third of the story of Anakin's downfall with him as a little kid. Anakin's darker moments are awesome, the slaver queen is one of the more sympathetic villains the show has scene (which is, of course, a relative statement), and I love the Darth Tyranus intrigue at the end.

Seerow likes this.
  15. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    True. Kidnapped was very fun. I mean the fight between Darts D'Nar and Obi-Wan was very enjoyable. D'Nar was a really fun villain and I happy they did not kill him off - maybe if one day TCW does a good prison break episode, he could be the muscle to help with the escape.

16. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Actually the fight between Darts and Kenobi was the only thing I severely disliked about the episode. I don't think it's as bad as I originally thought anymore because I've realized he gets tossed around in virtually identical fashion by Grievous in Ep. III, but it's still definitely not a highlight for me. I really like the chase scene at the end.

17. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I don't really mind Obi-wan getting all beat up since I know it was just an act in Kidnapped. Darts pretty much runs from him the second the act is over and wouldn't have stood a chance if Obi-wan wanted to punch his light out right from the start.

18. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    Even if there is a hint of ROTS Obi vs Grievous in it, the duel felts fresh for me cause it did not rehash things like Crisis on Naboo did with Anakin vs Dooku.

Well, that was the point if you ask - Obi is a good staller.

19. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I just felt that the brutality of it was a little too cartoon-ish.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  20. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    "Fan service" by itself doesn't sound bad at all, but the term doesn't have a straight up meaning.

What it really means is poorly conceived/vulgar/stupid attempts at pleasing fans that goes terribly wrong.

By far the most common example, and really the definition, is gratuitous sex. Imagine if they had an Ahsoka shower scene. Second to that is gratuitous violence/action, like Michael Bay **** where everything explodes or everything is just overly flashy or "overpowered". The writers think the fans will love it, but it just ends up uncalled for and unwanted.

Personally, I liked Anakin taking on all those whips. The guy has had his arm severed, he's been electrocuted a million times, he has a wicked scar on his face...dude knows how to take pain.

21. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    It makes sense that what you're talking about would be things that get complained about, it just seems to me that "fan service" is a poor description for that sort of thing. Thanks though.

22. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    If you ask me that fight felt the most real since the start of the series. It sure feels less cartoony than the 100 duels between Anakin and Dooku.

23. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Lightsaber duels aren't as much like the film Rocky, or professional wrestling.

24. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Darts throwing Obi-wan around like a ragdoll was a little over the top. I just assumed Zygerrians were strong like that and Obi-wan had a really hard head.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  25. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    I agree with the "cartoonish" in the sense that Obi-Wan didn't even appear to put up a creditable fight until "the moment" - c'mon, one can be "losing" a fight without throwing the fight. Obi-Wan went way into "a$$ pawning" and looking like a initiate fighting a master.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.