main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Apple/Mac discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Jun 21, 2006.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Richie, that's exactly what google did. The version of google maps on the iPhone was grossly outdated compared to the version Android users had, because they didn't want to make an app for them that included turn by turn navigation and things like that. They're both throwing immature hissy fits. :p

As far as being an early adopter, eh, I don't care. I've run beta OSes on my laptops for years. They're buggy as hell... but shiny too. Worth it. :p

DarthBoba likes this.
  2. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    It's definitely a big picture issue, not one you can really look at in the vacuum of "which map app is best". Aplpe started the patent gfight, google decided to fight back by not updating the maps app. Apple was essentially faced with a choice of dropping its aggressive patent lawsuit strategy or seeking an alternative maps app. They chose the latter, and decided to build their own app rather than fully go with one from a third party. That's really where their mistake lies -- not reailzing how difficult it would be to build the app from the ground up.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Except they didn't drop their patent fights at all. They were happening at the same time. Google doesn't really have an objective of crushing Apple. The reverse is not true. Apple is a company bent on domination. They're like the kid who argues every point on their homework so they can be valedictorian. Google is like the smart kid who spends more time on interesting extracurricular things than on grades.

4. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    AppleSeed?

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm a Windows user--so Vista, 7, and 8.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  6. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    Ah, OK. Never mind.

7. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Exactly, they decided to continue the lawsuits, which meant having to develop an alternative maps app. I don't think either side is "bent on world domination". It's business. And one certainly has to keep Apple#s experience with Microsoft and Windows mind when looking at their suits against Samsung et al.

8. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Question: can you buy the iPhone 5 unlocked at Apple stores in the US?

9. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Question. What is the return policy for Macintosh items? I would hope it was something normal, but given their well-deserved reputation for rapaciousness and lying, I figured I ought to check first.

Ender_Sai likes this.
  10. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    That seems like a troll.

11. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Pretty sure that like most products, you can't just up and return it opened if it's not defective. Especially after, what? A year?

12. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    No no, not a year. Like if a new product is purchased, what is the window for a return with full refund?

13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    About 30 days is standard.

14. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Do Macintosh computers come into any permanent damage if the battery runs to zero and then it is some hours before it is recharged?

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    No, there is no permanent damage. It's just off. You turn it off all the time.

16. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    No - really the only way a battery can damage any laptop, Apple or not, is that towards the end of its natural life cycle the lithium ion battery stands a greater chance of rupturing, which leads to hilarious horrible effects on the parts of the circuitry that get coated in battery acid/catch fire and yourself if you're anywhere near it at the time. That is most certainly not going to be your problem at this juncture, though.

17. benknobi1

benknobi1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2002
    That's what microsoft wants you to believe lol

18. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    No one complaining about the do not disturb glitch?

19. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Do people use that?

20. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Right. Cause everyone was sleeping at midnight last night anyway. :p

21. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    I use it because I have parents that like to call me at 9:30 at night to complain about their child's grade. Yea, no.

DarthBoba likes this.
  22. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Erm. Apple most certainly is. They're a company whose philosophy is firstly to restrict the freedom of users to enjoy their products; and secondly to bitterly crush any competition that may arise to their products. The Samsung lawsuits are case in point, and it was Apple's indefensible actions there that caused me to get a Galaxy S3 4G phone and a Galaxy Tablet.

The Galaxy Tablet was no more derived from the iPad than the iPhone was derived from the Palm Pilot. But it was better and cheaper, and therefore a threat. So Apple, being hipster douchewaffles, took Samsung to court (I loved how Samsung trolled Apple in return by paying their $1bn fine in pennies).

Apple not only want me and everyone else to use their products; they want to decide how I use them to and in a contest between my preferences and Apples, they force me to adapt to theirs. Which defeats the purpose of buying a technology with the ostensible purpose of making my life easier. Why must every single video file be .m4a? So you can really only get it with ease through iTunes store. Why can't I transfer music I bought from iTunes or on CD off my iPhone/iPod? Because Apple. That's why.

I think it's more than mere cleverness that saw the term for unlocking an iPhone "jailbreaking".

I'll never, ever go back to Apple. Nothing they offer me cannot be done better, faster, and cheaper elsewhere. And you know what? If I have the option of a 64GB iPad or a 16GB Galaxy tablet, I'll take the Galaxy because I can, you know, put as many SSD memory cards in as my heart desires. Apple wouldn't dear have a blemish like an SSD card slot (and besides, they'd want to create their own storage card format and charge a billion dollars for it) on their perfect designs and it's just another reason why I hope Apple follows the example of its founder and wastes away.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  23. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Come on, Ender. Tell us what *really* think.

24. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    How can anyone believe that is true?

25. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I TRUSTED GIZMODO AT THE TIME.

And KW: Apple are terrible.