main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Epic Leia

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Silas Nightstalker, Dec 11, 2012.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I stopped 'cause my Greek isn't good enough to write more than the title, esp. in the proper epic dialect (old Ionian, as opposed to the Attic I'm familiar with) and in dactylic hexameter. I could, probably, just about scrape by in Latin but that's about it. :p

JackG, that is a terrible scene and makes me cry. She has no respect for her elders!

"Guards, guards, find me my walker! . . . NO NOT AN AT-AT!"

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Technically that guy's only about four years old- though his "soul" is much older.

3. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    I just thought I remembered some scene from the NJO where she was whirling stuff around and everything... but then I realized that was Jacen (I think) overcoming his scruples when Leia was threatened (unless I'm misremembering again).

Well what does that tell you about gender issues...

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    PRINCESS LEIA, CHILD ABUSER!

Works either way. :D

5. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    Describe her in a golden line, and I'll forgive you. [face_not_talking]

6. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Neither does Palpatine- as expressed by his behaviour toward Yoda. And his own master, Plagueis.

7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Where are you going with this? Not that it isn't potentially interesting but this sort of area can be something of a minefield!

8. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    Erm... yes? Actually I was just trying to put my confusion into words, but I think what I was getting at is -- I try to remember Leia being awesome, and the first thing that comes to mind is a guy being awesome saving Leia-in-distress. Flipping the victim/savior sides in my mind. Meaning Leia being awesome seems to be so rare in EU lit that I couldn't think of an example and had to confuse one up, as it were.

Though I do remember Leia fighting Beldorion, but for reasons I've stated more than once I prefer to forget that one (Callista's weird swordplay advice).

Also, the Dark Empire example above kind of bugs me -- I liked Luke&Leia teaming up against the Emperor at the end, but a) Leia's most "epic" act being overturning an old man's hovercouch is kind of underwhelming, and b) "oh look, a mother's protective instincts compel her to be heroic for once"... again.

9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    For all the flak she gets, I liked Hambly's handling of Leia - she actually has Leia be more introspective and reflective and it makes her character much better, then there's that duel with Beldorion too.

Leia's confrontation with the Emperor in his quarters, I wouldn't really see as a win, as she played right into Sidious' plan, though she did nick the Holocron.

Leia does seem trapped in the role of "snappy, verbally aggressive diminutive female" - with authors afraid to depart from that lest their portrait of her be deemed "weak"! Mara Jade also suffered similarly, with authors forever giving her an "edge", when I considered that, as she become more at ease with her self and her past, Mara wouldn't need it!

10. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000

You want me to write a golden line? I've only managed about... 3 in my entire career, and 2 of them were by accident! Well, at least they're a Roman invention so I don't need Greek for it.

Alright here goes: aeditua adfurtivae affugit Leia incohatae
    long short short elision | long long | long elision caesura long | long long | elision long | long long.

Leia, custodian of the stolen plans, fled. :D

Booya. Took less than twenty minutes, too. :p

Granted, it's a heavy, ponderous, nigh-inelegant line -- more Ennian than Virgilian, but well... we'll just say it suits the dignity and weight of the subject matter :p

edit: Darn. Discovered a stray syllable. I tweaked it a but, which allowed me to add a nice caesura in the third foot, which is the traditional place for it.

11. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Be glad your Greek is better than Google, which gave me this for a translation:

"Booty Jell - is he the epic Vasilidῳ"

So, tell me, what exactly does Jell[o]'s Booty have to do with Leia? :p

12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Heh. I checked L&S, and it seems that "leia" is the word for plunder. Funny. :p

Google can't do ancient Greek -- the translation should be "The Leias by Jello - an epic poem on the princess"

Leias, Leiados being the title itself (cf. Ilias or Aeneis), Iellon being Jello, epos being a metonym for an epic poem, and basilis being the word for princess (though it should have said Βασιλιδι -- I just realized I had the dative wrong).

13. beccatoria

Dec 8, 2006
    Lit Board, you're welcome.

Jello, this totally makes me a patron of your arts. You get paid in "likes". And sig quotes.

14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    hahaha "sig by Jello" -- it's like a designer label. I love it.

15. beccatoria

Dec 8, 2006
    Of course, it's all class in my sig. The other unspeakably tacky option would have been to -- [Name] you twice.

16. Silas Nightstalker

Silas Nightstalker Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 7, 2012
    Apparently the Skywalker family has an tendency for those moments of "oneness" with the Force. I'm ready to see Leia have one of those, considering she has all the potential power of Luke.

17. Plebeian

Plebeian Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Didn't she beat Luke in a sparring session once.

She also shot Dolph.

18. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    True, but Leia got all the political savvy, and arguably the brains. Luke's gotta have something all to himself [face_not_talking]

19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I never read the Dark Empire series... but didn't Luke and Leia turn Palpatine's first clone into dust with a burst of light when they become one with the Force together, at the end of the first volume?

20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    No- they just broke his concentration, causing his Force Storm to turn and head for his ship- then ran for the launch bays before the ship was destroyed.

21. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Are you calling Luke dumb, since Leia has the brains? ;p

22. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    The authors definitely want us to believe that Leia has the brains, though I think Luke tends to come away as the one with the level head on his shoulders...

23. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Luke has plenty of smarts for a guy that grew up without much of a formal education. Being a grandmaster takes more than being level headed to do it well. I don't always go by what the authors want us to believe.

24. Silas Nightstalker

Silas Nightstalker Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 7, 2012
    I wish we could see an example of just how strong she has become, like a sparring session against a fellow Jedi. I want to know that she can truly be the equal of Luke, if only for one moment.

25. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Ambush at Corellia gave us that one scene- I kinda wish later books had kept to the notion of Leia and Luke being quite close in duelling ability.

rumsmuggler likes this.