main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Crucible by Troy Denning

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Manisphere, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    A Tales of the NJO, Tales of the LotF, Tales of the FotJ, Tales of the NJO Vol 2...

But really, Dark Tide was SOOOOOO Good, It focused on more than just the Big 3, maybe one or two of the them would join in the party, but the biggest problem with LotF and FotJ was that the books were everywhere. You would jump from Luke and Ben fighting Sith or some deep religious revelation, to a Jedi Council meeting, to a political thriller.. LotF was the worst with characters in one book than gone the next. I would have been ok if Traviss wanted to write a Jaina and Boba trilogy within the framework, but having Boba pop up every time she wrote really made it feel like... and now I am reading her book... I mean they all did it, with Alston's detailed Jedi and Denning's Star by Star survivors.But Traviss was the only one where half the DP would be Mandos...

I'd love if there was an entire book about the Strike Mission on Corellia. Team Purella/TaunTaun/Womprat ect... Kolir Hu'lya, Doran Tainer, Tiu Zax, Thann Mithric, maybe Jaina Solo, Zekk, and Luke... Let Alston write it... Don't bring in the Solos or non Corellians. You could have had the Antilles family problems in their too...

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    More Tales Books are a must. No main characters. All random side characters or new people entirely. Expand the galaxy! LOTF and FOTJ were all over the place in plot. The NJO was so much better in this regard.
    Well about Fett, Denning refused to use him until the last book. Not sure why Allston didn't.
    Whatever happened to all of the characters from the Strike Mission to Corellia?

3. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Nothing wrong with Fett but he didn't fit the story, if 2 authors are not going to use the character, while one is... NO ONE SHOULD... He can appear once when appropriate or he can have his own side story... However inserting him in and being like HI Han, I am going to keep talking about my family problems..."

Alston's LotF and FotJ Jedi
    Doran Tainer gets mentioned once or twice, goes on missions with
    Kolir Hu'lya passes Jaina in a hallway once
    Tiu Zax is never seen or heard from again (I think Mara trained her to be a Jedi Shadow)
    Thann Mithric dies as does Natua Wan (Poor Fallen Faleen Jedi)
    Nelani Dinn dies in the book she is introduced in (That has to be record for a Jedi)
    Valin Horn goes crazy but that forces everyone else to use him in their books, even Denning has to use him (though he writes the Horn kids like they are 16 or something when they are 30 ish)
    Seha Dorvald probably gets the most fleshed out within the 2 series, being apprenticed to Octa Ramis and DOES COOL STUFF
    Jysella Horn goes crazy and follows her brothers lead... Glad she got some page time and survived however...
    Sanola Ti flies in a Jedi Squad once, her big claim to fame is being niece to a Jedi Master who isn't good enough to be on the council...
    Sothais Saar doesn't like slavers and is a chev...
    Bandy Geffer is an apprentice who wins the award for most stupid name for a white male Jedi... He does cool stuff though.

Denning's LotF and FotJ Jedi
    Derek is a senior Jedi knight who is cool enough to shoot in the gunner seat of the falcon and then never be seen again. (I like to think it is Kyle Katarn's secret love child with Jan Ors and how the Solos get the Amelia idea)
    Avioam Arelis does stuff actually. Goes on missions and such... Alston and Denning share him well...
    Qwallo Mode is already crazy when we meet him, then he dies... (Could have used a Jedi we haven't seen since NJO like Tam Azur Jamin or Waxarn Kel, but NO....)
    Yanthar Bwau'tu and Vaala Razelle guard doors and sneak onto Coruscant
    Wilyem, Dordi and Zal are three more barabels who have kids, cause we need MORE BARABELS (apparently)

Goldeen's FotJ Jedi
    Bazel Warv Gets Well Thought out and backstory and plot then dies...
    Yaqeel Sa'veetu is another bothan Jedi except this one goes crazy... (Would have rather seen Kolir)
    Radd Minker is a Brubb Jedi, helps stop an escape from a crazy (doesn't get out much)
    Kunor Bann and Turi Altamik go crazy but then don't (Cause we need another human Jedi duo with no back story)

I don't know who gets credit for Seff Hellin... Eh yet another human white male Jedi who goes crazy but then disappears...

Props to Denning and Alston for bringing Izal Waz back... and to Golden for throwing in Markre Medjev and giving him a job...

My list of Jedi I want to see more of from this list
    Waxarn Kel, Izal Waz, Valin Horn, Jysella Horn, Doran Tainer, Kolir Hu'lya, Tiu Zax, Seha Dorvald, Sanola Ti, Sothais Saar, Bandy Geffer/Derek (Retcon them into Derek Ors/Katarn), Yanthar Bwau'tu, Radd Minker...

The rest are on my Red Shirt list...

My other question is why all the Arcona, Brubb, Bothan, and Barabel Jedi... Why not throw in a nautolan or togruta or kel dor? Because the Empire apparently killed them all?

4. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Wow. That's a lot more Jedi that have been mentioned than I remember. I remember the psycho Jedi and a couple others but don't remember much about them or their current fates. Nelani Dinn and Bazel Warv I remember. Seha as well. She needs a good arc in an upcoming book. I've only read the FOTJ novels once when they came out and the LOTF books I haven't read in 4 years or so. I'll rectify that this summer. There needs to be a Tales of the New Jedi Order series. Not the Yuuzhan Vong series but stories from different Jedi doing things in the galaxy post NJO.

5. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Exactly, does anyone forget that Tyria was attempting to train Doran in the ways of the Force during the Yuuzhan Vong War?

Or what were the younglings up to on the Errant Venture in the Maw while the war raged...

While we are at it... does anyone forget that Kyle Katarn disappears for the ENTIRE NJO?

That is what I want, a Kyle Katarn VIDEO GAME with Jaden Korr set during the Vong War

GrandMasterKatarn likes this.
  6. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Redemption post NJO - Raynar Thul and Tahiri Veila.

It's Star 'Wars' and if you want more villain of the year stories the backdrop that Apocalypse left us with is a far improvement over LotF. We end Apocalypse with plenty of small threats for small side stories.

And damnation wasn't invented by Denning. It was referenced in ToTJ as I recall.

kataja likes this.
  7. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    It did indeed, ThruttThul (Please don't go back to Killiks Denning. It actually made me angry, to see it happen. I felt like there should be a note on that page... Return to DN and read again...)

Mercy Kill mopped up the Lersercen Conspiracy...

One Sith and Lost Tribe are out there...

Not to mention, I still believe that Apocalypse was changed to take Jag out of power. What is to say they didn't move up the One Sith time frame as well as letting Vestara to survive... in set up for whatever comes next...

8. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    I don't think it's said anywhere that Jacen's damnation is eternal. And I think it's a very bg differentce if a person suffers for eternity - or simply has to face the consequences of his/her bad actions. I don't remember the actual passage but I remember Mara was 'in a place of contemplartion' about her own wrong actions - and to me, the latter seemed more like a chance to clean, to think things true and learn. I could imagine her take the task upon her and learn willingly, though, while Jacen would first have to accept that he DID wrong things.

Kyris Cavisek - impressive list - and nice to see that there are many young Jedi around - despite common complaints of the opposite! I remembered maybe a third of them, enough to know they existed - but I wasn't aware there were SO many! Ah... the necessity of rereading...

Sinrebirth - good points - again!

jedimaster203 likes this.
  9. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I liked Karen Traviss's work, but Boba Fett had nothing to do with Jacen turning to the dark side, the whole subplot should've been taken out.

10. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    I feel that it worked in context, particularly in view of Jacen's first victim's identity.

11. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    Well, there is... in a way.

12. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I'll give you that one. Except I wanted something a bit more official...

13. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    The only way I know that Tyria was training Doran was because of the FanFic A Destiny Altered. The Younglings might have some interesting stories I hope. We might be getting more mentions of Abeloth if we did that too. I think Kyle has a Tales Comic scene set in the NJO but some more appearances by him would be great.

14. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    I re read Apocalypse last night, the one minor thing to catch my eye was the Void Jumpers and how cool they were. There is a line from Olasken to Tahiri, "If you thought that was easy, we could use a Jedi in the Void Jumpers"...

Is Tahiri going to become a commando?
    I personally see the jumpers like ODST from Halo or Airborne for the Star Wars Galaxy. Love to see a New Republic Commando, starring Tahiri

Force Smuggler likes this.
  15. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    He does appear in one comic during the war... So far Finn Galfinakis Price of Las Vegas has had more page time during the Vong War, if you get my meaning... Kyle hasn't been busy in the Vong War... For the Chuck Norris of the Jedi Order, he disappears during the dark time

16. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm sure he's doing something...We just don't have any details of it

17. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    He is having a kid with Jan Ors then protecting them. Imagine it now, Kyle Katarn making daring escapes from a fearsome enemy with Jan and child in tow...

18. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Hopefully Tahiri can find a place for herself in the galaxy and soon. If its as a Void Jumper so be it. I was hoping for Imperial Knight so I won't be surprised if its something else

19. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    I was thinking all the Jedi that the GFFA rejected... Tahiri and the crazys would be the first Imperial Knights, Jaina as lead with Tahiri and Valin Horn as her advisers and counselors...

20. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    The reason we haven't heard anything about the Katarn's escapades is 1) because it would embarrass the main characters, and 2) it would forever change audience's perceptions of the Vong as a serious threat after they saw Kyle simply snatching amphistaffs out of the air and snapping them in half with his bare hands.

21. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    not a big fan of the idea of eternal hell in real life, or in Star Wars

22. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Hasn't some version of hell always been canon in Star Wars? We know spirits live on after death in the SW universe. Makes sense that the evil ones get punished.

23. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    yeah don't they call the sith hell, "Chaos"?

24. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I was plugged!

But, yeah, it explains where the Confederation went. Or how the sin Daala took over. Or what happens to Wedge and co. or what happens to the tassels. Or what happened to the GAG. Or where the Mon Calamari were. Or takes into account the Bounty is a Star Defender. Or decides what class the Ocean is. Or has the care to reference Lobot, Rogriss, the One Sith, Dician, Tycho and has Wes wrestle with an Ewok. Oh, and Karrde is in it too.

cthugha likes this.
  25. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Didn't have time yet to read the whole thing, Sinre -- but I enjoyed what I did get to read! You have quite a talent!