main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Logic Flaws in the Original Trilogy

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DRush76, Dec 14, 2012.

1. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    I realize that the Original Trilogy is considered nearly flawless by many veteran fanboys of the STAR WARS saga. But as much as I have loved this films, I have never viewed them as flawless or near flawless. I wonder if anyone can recall some of the flaws or lack of logic that were in the 1977-1983 trilogy.

kainee likes this.
  2. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I still don't get the entire Dagobah cave scene in The Empire Strikes Back. Could someone explain it to me, please?

3. vypernight

vypernight Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    In ESB, Vader tells Piet to desploy the fleet, so nothing gets off the system. Yet, we see at least 5 ships escape(the tfirst transport and its X-Wings, Luke's X-Wing, and the Falcon) . Since Wedge is in ROTJ, he probably escaped not long after, and going by the EU, Wes and Hobbie did as well.

So we have nearly a dozen ships that blow right past the Imperial fleet, and Vader doesn't say a word to Peit for this?

4. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    You call this a "logic flaw" ?

Yes, Piett failed. I think Vader put most of the blame on Ozzel for blowing the approach, resulting in his execution.

After the Falcon escapes, Vader says "Don't fail me again, Admiral Piett."

kainee likes this.
  5. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    An oldie, but one of the few that has ever pestered me. The relatively short amount of time involved in Luke's training. Even the EU (specifically SOTE) didn't expand on that greatly.

6. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Are you being serious?

7. Trask Ulgo

Trask Ulgo Jedi Padawan star 3

Dec 8, 2012
    Why does Lando get the rank of general so easily? One maneuver at a battle is not enough for the rank of general. Silly rebels.

8. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Affirmative action. It was an overreaction to charges of racism in SW because "the bad guys wear black". When the appropriate response would have been, "In case you missed it the stormtroopers wore white. Now shut up."

kainee likes this.
  9. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    The OT is more of a space-opera movie, while the PT is more action and worldly. I like both the OT and PT. OT gives you that feel that the galaxy is dystopian (I hate utopian theories), that raw feel of the Force, but it's very closed in on a select few people and a select story. While the PT is still dystopian, it has more of a sleeker feel to it, and you get a better idea of what the galaxy looks like. I loved how they portrayed Coruscant in the PT. The PT revolves around Anakin and friends, but it's a small story in the big picture of the Republic vs CIS story

kainee likes this.
  10. DarthRelaxus

DarthRelaxus Chosen One star 5

Apr 23, 2007
    I think the biggest logic flaw was in TESB, when the rebels knew an Imperial probe droid had found them, yet they waited until they were under attack to evacuate.

11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    They do say "Begin the evacuation" the moment they know about the probe- it's just the Empire arrive before it's progressed very far.

12. vypernight

Nov 1, 2012
    I don't know if this counts as a logic flaw or it's just me.

In TESB, when Luke was leaving, Yoda and Obi Wan told Luke he needed to stay and train, even if it meant sacrificing Han and Leia. Then after Luke left, Yoda mentioned that there was another. Presumably, he was referring to Leia, since that's pretty much what he said in ROTJ.

But if Leia was the, "another," that Yoda mentioned, didn't he just say Luke should be willing to sacrifice her? How can there be another hope if you think there's a chance that said hope might go down along with Luke? The only thing I can think of is Yoda saw that Leia had a better chance of surviving than Luke (Though Luke's bringing R2 was a major reason they were able to escape).

Chewbacca89, V-2 and Random Comments like this.
  13. King Terak

King Terak Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 22, 2012
    All non-human species dressing the same.

14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    That might have been because, at that moment, Lucas hadn't decided Leia was the "other".

15. Kurnous Ntol

Kurnous Ntol Jedi Youngling

Nov 29, 2012
    The biggest one for me has to be Luke throwing his lightsaber away after rejecting to kill Vader. What was he thinking would happen next? Palpatine would say "Good job, jedi. You have bested my tests and resisted the temptation to join the Dark Side. I have failed. You can go in peace"? There´s a difference between not wanting to kill someone and letting yourself be killed.
    Also, I always found Luke´s plan to rescue Han to have many flaws, and only came out well due to luck. What if R2 hadn´t been asigned to Jabba´s sail barge? What if Jabba had decided to execute them in his palace? What if Jabba´s guards had a brain and blasted Luke´s skiff with the sail barge´s cannons?

16. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Lando wearing Han's clothes at the end of ESB.

[​IMG]

And yet they call Anakin creepy! :D

FRAGWAGON, kainee and V-2 like this.
  17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It's not like he brought any luggage with him when he fled with Leia & Chewie.

Andy Wylde and FARK2005 like this.
  18. Lando's Little Maneuver

Lando's Little Maneuver Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    When the Falcon is trying to escape Tatooine and Han says "Besides, I know a few maneuvers. We'll lose 'em".
    The very next shot is the Falcon flying in a dead straight line, directly in front of a Star Destroyer.

Also Lando slept his way to the top. His little maneuver at the Battle of Taanab had nothing to do with fighting, and everything to do with love making.

19. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

I guess . . . and believe me, this is a guess . . . that Luke was facing his own inner darkness or demons and reacted with aggression, something that Yoda had disapproved.

20. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    Why didn't the guy shoot the Escape Pod from the Tantive IV?

21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Possibly because Darth Vader force-chokes gun crews that waste shots? Thus, they avoid shooting, even when sometimes they really should shoot?

22. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    Regarding the Dagobah cave desaster...

Seagoat likes this.
  23. vypernight

Nov 1, 2012
    I don't know if it counts as a logic flaw, but Luke mentions in ANH that his father was a navigator on a spice freighter, with Obi Wan saying Owen wanted Luke to know that, rather than that he was a Jedi.

Isn't spice illegal? To me it sounds like, "My father wasn't a marine during Desert Storm; he was a drug runner."

kainee likes this.
  24. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    I always thought the probe was sending constant hyperwave transmissions...so when it sent that it had found the Rebels and was destroyed, the Imps were like "bring the fleet to the Hoth system immediately!" So there really wasn't any time for them to evac.

I've always wondered how do they know what planet to exactly go to in the Hoth system? Aren't there more than one planet? That goes with whenever it occurs.

25. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    I don't think this is too problematic, actually. Luke clearly idealizes his father and Owen may have wanted to dissuade him from trying to follow in his father's footsteps or putting the man on a pedestal. Hence the rather commonplace job (navigator) and the rather shady business (spice smuggling). It removes any chance that Luke would want to emulate his father.

Andy Wylde and MrFantastic74 like this.