main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Should Qui Gon have survived?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Legacy Jedi Endordude, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    When ever I watch TPM, i always wish he had survived at least for one more movie, cause he was so awesome. He did his job for the movies, but i wish we would have saw more of him.

So, do you think he should have survived?

2. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    But he did survive, from a certain point of view.

Sitara likes this.
  3. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    No, because he didn't really have a real role beyond teaching "ghosting." Now, if the prequels had been made before the OT, then things may - MAY - have been different.

4. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Well I didn't like seeing him get killed either, but if he hadn't and Obi-Wan hadn't taken Anakin on as his apprentice when he was a child, then the story wouldn't have linked as strongly with the OT.

5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I wish Qui Gon had lived. He was the best Jedi in the PT. Maybe his role should have been adjusted? He should have been a maverick Jedi who took orders from Yoda and tried to uncover the Sith and Separtist plot

6. P.Sam

P.Sam Jedi Padawan star 1

May 31, 2011
    I like Qui-Gon too, Liam Neeson deserves lots of credit for that.

With regards of how the story is builded, young Anakin had to be trained by Obi-Wan in order to have that deep relationship between the two. The discovery of Qui-Gon with the force have an impact on the whole Saga. His death is not in vain. That is how Ben sent Luke to Yoda in the Dagobah system... I think it would have been interesting to see how Qui-Gon would have fare in the Clone Wars but then the story as we know it change almost completely, the role of main characters such a Kenobi, Skywalker become different.

7. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    No, it wouldn't work that way. I liked the whole secret to immortality plotline, and qui gon dying was a story device that could introduce the audience to the jedi secret to eternal life. Qui gon jinn was awesome.o_O

8. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    No, Qui-Gon is a character whose influence is felt far more powerfully due to his absence in AOTC and ROTS than it would be if he were present. I wanted Qui-Gon to survive because I always get the sense (or maybe it's just a misguided hope) that things might have turned out differently had he survived:

--Anakin would not have been so susceptible to Palpatine
    --Obi-Wan would have been able to find his footing on his own terms and not been emotionally distraught when he took on a padawan of his own
    --Count Dooku wouldn't have given up on the Order and Qui-Gon could have persuaded him to remain an ally

I do think that the way Lucas set up the Saga makes it so that a lot of the characters' lives were sent into turmoil with Qui-Gon's death and that had he survived, things would have turned out better; thus, his absence gives him a far more powerful effect.

9. JimRaynor55

JimRaynor55 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 26, 2005
    ^That's exactly how I see Qui-Gon as well, PiettsHat.

Qui-Gon is the idealized Jedi who is strong, independent minded, but soft spoken and nurturing as well. His mentoring style was directly contrasted with the conservative and uncompassionate Jedi Council, as well as with Obi-Wan who was portrayed as a rather unquestioning follower of the Council's. Obi-Wan had a strict authoritarian style that antagonized Anakin, who already felt uncomfortable in the cold and distrusting environment of the Jedi. All of this makes Anakin's issues with anger and fear of loss even worse, setting him on the path to the Dark Side.

At the end of ROTS, Obi-Wan and the Jedi are made to realize the error of their ways. It was quite fitting for Qui-Gon to come back as a Force ghost to teach not only Obi-Wan, but his former teacher Yoda as well. I believe this is why both of them were much more laid back and encouraging toward Luke in the Original Trilogy, which is why Luke succeeded where Anakin fell.

10. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    I must say though, i love how the the Last Of The Jedi book series has his force ghost talking to obi wan, and how obi talked to him about some of the problems he faced, and Ferus Olin.

11. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    ^ I only read the first and maybe the 2nd of those books - are you referring to a particular conversation in a particular one of those books? I gave up on the books once it looked like Obi-Wan was being marginalized and retired from much in the way of mention.

12. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    I love the idea of yoda and obi wan talking to the ghost of some jedi, to learn the secret of immortality. Qui gon couldn't have lived.

13. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    Yes, Qui Gon should have lived. The Jedi should have sent an entire task force to Naboo with them, to capture the Sith Lord they knew was going to be there alive, or at the least use overwhelming force so Jedi would suffer no casualties. Maul should have slaughtered all of them save Qui Gon and Obi Wan, and then escaped.

Much much better to have Qui Gon in all three movies and witness Anakin's fall first hand. Also, I would have loved to have him duel Darth Sidious. In fact, Mace Windu should not have existed at all. It should have been Qui Gon as the #2...or Mace should have fallen in Geonosis, and have Qui Gon take his place.

Also, all Jedi should have become ghosts in the PT. It should be a Jedi things. Then, Lucas should have edited that small part in ANH where Vader toes Obi Wans clothes as if he doesn't know where the ghost went.

14. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    As much as I like Qui-Gon, from the story perspective he wasn't need and it would've been better if Obi-Wan had a larger role in TPM.

FARK2005 likes this.
  15. Felicia

Felicia Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    I've read that in earlier drafts Lucas did not have Qui-Gon in the scene where they are going to the Trade Federation as Ambassadors. The character of Qui-Gon Jinn was added later. Qui-Gon knew the Council would not allow Anakin to be trained without him there so he placed the onus on Obi-Wan. Qui-Gon was an admirable Jedi true enough but some of his choices are questionable. However one thing I did like about Qui-Gon is that his training got Obi-Wan to learn how to travel and not sit in the Temple contemplating all the time.That never got anything done. What that contemplation got for the Jedi and its Council is being trapped inside of a war with no real evacuation plan on how to get out of it.

16. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    No I don't think he should have survived because as many others have already stated his impact on the galaxy is clearly felt through the actions of others. However I really, really wish GL could have convinced Liam Neeson to return to record his lines in AOTC and ROTS. One of the biggest missed opportunities of the PT.

Alexrd likes this.
  17. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    When he did voice acting for The Clone Wars, I was hoping they would ask him to record his lines for AotC and RotS. A missed opportunity indeed.

All Jedi travel when they're sent on missions.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  18. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I thought the exact same thing. I'm still holding out hope that they'll record it for the 3D releases. It's probably a fool's hope since they didn't for the Blu-Rays but you never know.