main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation The Senate Will return after Episode 6.

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Redfivee, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Redfivee

Redfivee Jedi Master star 2

Sep 28, 2008
    Tonight I was listening to the Original EP3 commentary and something GL says I find interesting.During the scene where Palpatine is telling Anakin about Plagueis he mentions the senate and his direct quote is "The Senate will return after Episode 6".I know it's probably a throw away quote but why would he say that if the story ends at EP6.Hopefully we don't get politically themed EPs in the new trilogy.Fingers crossed.

2. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I agree about not wantng the ST to get involved in complex Senatorial debates. Leave that crap for C-Span. However, I think any attempt at a New Republic will involve the senate and rightfully so. After all, if Leia isn't Supreme Chancellor when we meet again she'll likely be a Senator. So the real question is, which planet will she represent? LOL

Presumably Leia and Han marry. Do they go back to Corellia?

3. Redfivee

Redfivee Jedi Master star 2

Sep 28, 2008
    I'm guessing Corella too but she will probably be living on Coruscant like Palpatine was even though he was from Naboo.In the end a good movie is a good movie but I'm just hoping the new trilogy is completely different then the prequels and not a combo of both trilogys we already know.

4. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    It has never really been explained why the Senate was dissolved in the first place.
    Yeah, Palpatine was all powerful, but dissolving the Senate would really make a lot of people angry...

I would love it if Dark Horse or Del Rey published a comic/book about a rebel attack on the Senate and afterwards, Palpatine dissolves the institution.

5. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Tyrrany. Does it really need to be explained?

6. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    That could be true, but if you go back to EP1, it was perceived that the Senate was corrupt, so by the time Palpatine dissolves it, maybe people (after being exposed to 20 years of Imperial propaganda) saw it as a nuisance.

7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Alternatively, given the sheer amount of applause and celebration after the destruction of the DS2 in Return of the Jedi, they've been oppressed enough by Palpatine that a change of governing type is inevitable.

Julius Vernon and HankSolo like this.
  8. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Perhaps she'll be the Jedi representative to the Senate. I would like to see her as a Jedi but I think she should still be more of a politician so that accomplishes both.

Julius Vernon likes this.
  9. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Leia becoms the new Chancellor.
    Ultimately, she becomes all powerful and reveals she has gone to the Dark Side (well, this is only revealed in Episode 12). => SHOCK
    Leia defeats Luke in a duel. Luke goes on hiding on Dagobah or Tatooine.
    Leia becomes the new Emperor. THE CIRCLE IS NOW COMPLETE! :)

10. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    You know, as a result of my being far more exposed to the films than the EU, I still envision Leia as a leader who identifies more with politics than with the Jedi and though I, too, would like some acknowledgement of her inherent Force potential (it would be kind of absurd to ignore it, after all), I think given the choice, I'd rather Leia continue to ply her trade as a politician vital to the success of the New Republic. As such, your idea of Leia serving as a Jedi representative to the Senate is intrigues me as a rather natural means of fulfilling both roles.

Still, it wouldn't surprise me one bit were Leia to be written as serving in the New Republic's equivalent to the position of Supreme Chancellor.

11. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Most of the EU envisaged Leia as politician first, Jedi second- it wasn't till after she'd served several years as President of the New Republic, that she started to focus more on getting further Jedi training.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  12. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    Never explained?

He is a Sith Lord -- Emperor of the GFFA - and he wants his Moffs and no one else to have any power -- with the Death Star as it's centerpiece.

It is completely explained -- Palpatine no longer needs it.

You've seen the movies -- but did you listen?

The Senate will be back -- is there really something to discuss here?

stormcloud8, Graphic and Echo-07 like this.
  13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    No no see Palpatine said "I am the Senate" in ROTS, so the Senate obviously cannot come back since he died in ROTJ. I just assumed he was trying to pursue a career as a rap artist.
    Palpatine "the Senate" Johnson.
    So no The Senate will not return because Vader killed him.

Someone told me that I have the problem of interpreting everything literally. I don't know what they meant by that statement.

14. burrisjedimaster1

burrisjedimaster1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    In order to restore order to a broken galaxy far far away a Republic Senete must be restored.

15. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Well... it's been suggested that each Senator represents a sector (~100 worlds) so the Alderaanian Seat would still be open to her, I'd think. They didn't blow up every planet in the sector after all.

LawJedi, Echo-07 and Julius Vernon like this.
  16. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Disagreed. If the ST is about rebuilding the Republic, political scenes are unavoidable & appropriate.

17. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I completely agree. I've always enjoyed seeing how politics worked in the GFFA (especially how Palpatine manipulated the system like many real world dictators have done) and I'm really looking forward to hopefully seeing how they rebuild the Republic in the ST.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  18. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    I didn't know this. I just thought that each planet that was advanced enough for representation sent their own Senator/Delegation to the Republic Senate. I understand that some solar system have more than one planet that is inhabited, but it's never really clear in the movies how Senatorial rep works.

19. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    That Senate chamber does not look big enough to hold a million-odd Senate seats. Hence it's more plausible that it's "Sectors" rather than "planets" that get represented, except maybe in rare cases.

Echo-07 likes this.
  20. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    @ stellarmagic01 I was unaware of this as well. Could you provide a source? (I know you're reliable I'm just interested in the background).

21. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    I for one think this idea is brilliant. She ends up not being a Jedi herself per se, but is a liaison between the Jedi and the political world. She gets the opportunity to learn the Force to an extent, but use it more in her sphere.

22. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004
    Dear...... no. The PT gave me enough "negotiations/politics/senate talk/negotiations/speculation and arguing amongst politicians/negotiation/chitter chatter". Let's move along with some action and adventure. Not sitting around listening some boring ass talk.

I mean........some here may be interested in how the galaxy is recovering and rebuilding itself after such a monumental thing like the fall of the Empire.... but will that really bode well and transition onto the screen to keep the average movie viewer interested? Specially with a return of the Saga, the sequel trilogy, after 30 years...and it's a whole lotta sitting around like we did in the PT?

No thanks. Leave it for the crawl.

Darth Sone likes this.
  23. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    I guess there's more to the Alderaan "system" Senate seat than just the planet of Alderaan, if it works like other Senators in the PT. But it still seems hokey to waste Leia on representative politics.

Edit: what stellarmagic01 said.

24. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Actually this makes alot of sense.

25. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    To quote wookiepedia...
    Some examples...
    Padme Amidala represented Naboo and the Chommell Sector (which includes 7 named systems).
    Tal Merrick represented Kalevala and the Mandalore Sector (which includes 10 named systems).
    Mon Mothma represented Chandrila and the Bormea Sector (which includes 6 named systems).

It's fair to assume there are other systems with small populations that are not named yet in those sectors (Our galaxy contains between 100-400 billion stars after all and there's only around 1,000 senators I think).