main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT If you were doing a fan edit of the PT...

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by KilroyMcFadden, Dec 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    With the final goal of fitting it into about 2 hours, which single scene would be the number one thing you cut? Which single scene would the number one thing you consider the most holy of holies and not touch?

V-2 and Order66Survivor like this.
  2. Order66Survivor

Order66Survivor Jedi Master star 1

Nov 10, 2012
    GREAT question

To cut : the Anakin-Padme Naboo scene in the lounge area where they decide they can't be together.

Poor Hayden C probably never envisioned having to do a scene like that in Star Wars.

To keep:Gosh this is tough.

I'd have to go with the initial meeting of the Council when Qui-Gon brings Anakin before Yoda, Mace and the masters.

"more to say, have you?"

Jake Lloyd really did well in this scene. First he nails the trivia but once the Jedi Masters bring up Shmi he's like "uhhhh I don't think we're gonna get along".

3. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    cut: Tion Medon: it was such a bizzare unneeded scene

keep: Obi-wan and Dooku meet. Such a great scene

4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    If I were to do a fan edit of the PT, I would just try to colour correct AotC and put back the shots after Yoda duels Dooku in their original order. I wouldn't remove anything.

5. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    I agree. I also would've added Padme's family scenes to AOTC and Rebellion scenes in ROTS.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  6. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    The scene where Dooku drops the tower on Anakin and Obi-Wan and then stops on the Solar Sailer's ramp to look back at Yoda seems to break the flow.

I would either cut it out or edit it so Dooku's seen entering the ship. For him to just stand there and look back is a distraction from the danger Anakin and Obi-Wan are in and Yoda's decision to save their lives and let Dooku escape.

The scene should just be Dooku crushing the tower and disengaging. Yoda turns to stop the tower from falling on the Jedi and halts it just centimeters away. The thing is thrown aside and Dooku's ship leaves the hangar.

The Sith Lord's distraction forces Yoda to choose between finishing the battle or saving two lives. Yoda chooses and Dooku uses that moment to run and continue the war.

He does not stop at the hatchway and look back at Yoda. Count Dooku should not be engaging in such frivolous activities.

Order66Survivor likes this.
  7. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    This is so tough (I like the PT), but I guess the first thing I'd cut would be the pod race and all events surrounding it.

If the goal is 2 hours, TPM is going to have to be the most cut

The must-keep is even tougher. Part of me would love to keep most of Vader's actions; the temple massacre, the Mustafar massacre and MOST of the duel with Kenobi because it's the most dramatic part in the PT. Part of me agrees with Adywan regarding the Vader reveal being held back until ESB though. It's tricky.

It depends on what story you want to tell. You could take the whole saga and do a 20 episode Lost-style flashback series if you wanted! Start at the scene in ESB with Vader revealing his identity to Luke and go nuts telling one part of the story at a time.

8. Order66Survivor

Order66Survivor Jedi Master star 1

Nov 10, 2012

UGH how could I forget the pod racing??!?!?!?! wipe it out, all of it!

TPM really picks up to me when they return to Coruscant

9. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    I never thought about editing in such a way as to restore the Vader reveal, that really opens up the possibilities.

10. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    Here's Adywan's plan, lots of food for thought: http://swrevisited.wordpress.com/ptr-facts/

Bear in mind how long he takes do do the amazing stuff he does, he'll probably not release that until 2030 or so!

11. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    Thanks for sharing that link. That's the most exciting SW news since 1996!

12. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Sounds like more stupidity. Change the color of Mace's lightsaber, WT*?

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  13. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I agree. Why doesn't this guy write, direct, produce his own movie and then he can make whatever changes to it he wants. Oh, wait...

14. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    Because he has both the ability and love for SW to make a version he will enjoy more? Just spitballing here.

15. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I think most people will agree it's alot easier to rip somelses work apart than it is to create something of your own. I'm just spitballing here though.

16. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    You view a fan edit as a criticism?

17. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    No. There's quite a big difference between giving a critical review of something and changing somone elses work because it wasn't what you envisioned.

18. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    What I think you are saying is that fan edits are the equivalant of ripping someone elses work.

19. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Pretty much. I just don't respect people who take someone elses work that they've spent years creating, make changes to the parts they personally don't like, and then try to pass it off as some brilliant piece of art. It takes little to no creativity and 99.99% of the time they just make it worse.

20. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    So, whats the first scene you would throw out if you were doing your own fan edit?

V-2 likes this.
  21. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    I can have my edit any time I want. It's called the skip button ;)

22. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    While there are certainly scenes in the PT that work better for me than others, I would never make a fan edit. They're not my movies and thus I find it pointless. Overall the PT works for me just as much as the OT does. They're great movies made by great filmmakers (George Lucas and everyone else involved in the films).

23. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    It's like doing a remix or cover of a song. If you think fan edits are being 'passed off' as anything, you're missing the point.

Not even Lucas is upset by them!

My favourite Star Wars fanedits are Adywan's obsessive masterpiece the ANH Special Edition Revisited, closely followed by the Grindhouse version of ANH, followed by the Phantom Edit. I really need to see more; the 30s serial PT looks fun.

KilroyMcFadden likes this.
  24. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    If Adywan is able to deliver on the amazing improvments he claims he is making, he is my new OCD hero!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.