main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Classics The Ewok movies - why a five year old girl as protagonist?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by RKORadio, Dec 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RKORadio

RKORadio Jedi Youngling

Jun 15, 2004
    I was just wondering why the Ewok movies had a little girl as the protagonist?

At 4-5 wouldn't there be a lot of trouble remembering lines and even being aware of the complexities of a action-adventure film?

2. benknobi1

benknobi1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2002
    Because it was the will of the force my young jedi friend. Though young she was, a great child acting destiny she had.

3. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    For the same reason as this:

[​IMG]

4. RKORadio

RKORadio Jedi Youngling

Jun 15, 2004
    I see your point. Part of me feels bad for wishing i could have seen the little girl go up against Palpatine and get squashed.

5. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Wow -- she really was only 4 in the first Ewok movie. I had to check that because I had always assumed she was one of those older children who look younger than they really are. That's insane.

6. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    She already has a backstory... and a forward story:
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Cindel_Towani

7. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    Why not a five year old girl as the protagonist?

8. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    Cindel was pretty likeable and I had no qualms with her being the main character. The Ewok movie duology was more or less aimed at a younger audience and this way with a young kid in the lead role worked pretty well; she also made a good counterpart to Wicket, much since they were both young.

V-2 likes this.
  9. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    And what does her gender matter?

anakinfansince1983 and V-2 like this.
  10. RKORadio

RKORadio Jedi Youngling

Jun 15, 2004
    Hollywood often goes for ultra-cutesy and ultra feminine little girls to pull at the audience's heart strings. Hopefully Cindel doesn't play with dolls or have a tea party with her, some stuffed animals and one real person.

11. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    What's wrong with girls being feminine?

12. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    I say we give these girls stubble and a smoking habit, and paint their Easy Bake Ovens blue and black! If even one boy is marginalized by the Pink Oppression, then we all fail as a society!

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  13. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    People won't have to worry about whether it's going to be a happy ending or a bad ending if the protagonist is a five-year-old.

14. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    By the way, Ewoks did butcher my men on the Forest Moon. They're little monsters! I want revenge...
    Gonna bombard Endor with my Star Destroyer!

And then, I am going to Naboo! I have to settle a score with the Gungans too!

15. RKORadio

RKORadio Jedi Youngling

Jun 15, 2004
    I think little girl heroes aren't that effective or credible. Creepy children in fiction are often little girls because the author wants to subvert the nurturer stereotype.

The BBC didn't allow Doctor Who to have a female villain in the Jon Pertwee era because the executives said "No, No, No, you can't have women as evil! Women are the mothers and nurturers!"

16. The Verbal Machinegun

The Verbal Machinegun Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2013
    This was made for small kds, that's why.

17. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Yeah, Ewoks was typical campy 80's. It's not part of my Star Wars canon, I can assure you.

18. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    One can't have a personal canon. :p

The protagonist is a little girl because a) they're movies aimed at young children, or b) it was chance/destiny/will of the force. Take your pick!

07jonesj likes this.
  19. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Oh, you don't get so annoyed at things when you have your personal canon. For starters, the Death Star plans aren't stolen 9 times. And then "Splinter of the Mind's Eye" is destroyed.

Besides, if you count everything as canon, that means the Holiday Special is too. [face_skull]

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  20. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I couldn't give a pudu about canon related issues in fiction to be honest. If it's a good story I enjoy it, if it's not, never mind. Canon gets in the way of a lot of genre fiction, especially the EU.

07jonesj likes this.
  21. gizmodeus

gizmodeus Jedi Padawan

Sep 5, 2012
    all me have to say to that is borkus

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Wow. You find it that unbelievable that a little girl can be a hero? Is she supposed to be playing with dollhouses, crying and singing "Someday My Prince Will Come"?

I really hope I'm misunderstanding you. If not--1958 called, it wants its mentality back.

I'll address the age aspect from a children's literature standpoint: there are always exceptions but generally speaking, a children's book is geared towards children a year younger than the protagonist. I haven't seen the Ewok Adventures so I don't know what the storyline is like, but is it possible that it's geared towards four-year-olds?

It was once thought that boys would not be drawn to a story with a female protagonist, but that's been proven wrong. Generally speaking it can be harder to convince boys to read a story with female protagonists who talk about hairstyles and manicures and whine for men to rescue them from tall towers, but action-oriented stories have been shown to draw in a male audience regardless of the gender of the protagonist. The exception, of course, would be male audience members who find strong women threatening.

23. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    I'm annoyed by cliche little girls. Arya Stark (8-year old) from "A Song of Ice and Fire" though - she's fantastic!

EDIT: Should mention cliche little boys annoy me too. It's not gender-dependent.

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't like cliche'd characters either, but I addressing the PP's statement that little girl heroes aren't "effective" or "credible," which I read as "a little girl can't be a hero [but a little boy could]."

07jonesj likes this.
  25. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Oh, well then I completely agree with you. [face_peace]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.