main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Episode 7 Do's and Don'ts!

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by burrisjedimaster1, Dec 14, 2012.

1. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Darth kRud, in the world of Episodes I-III, we are meant to feel threatened by the good guys. It's the philosophy of the prequels. So in a way, the prequels are far more complicated, dark, and nihilistic than you give them credit. :)

Like that wonderful ending of TPM where the Emperor's Theme is played, transposed into a different key and with a different tempo, sung by a children's choir. Chilling!

2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I agree. Also I'm gonna stick up for Jar Jar here. Yes he is annoying but that's what he's supposed to be; he annoys the main characters as well. He's the gullible fool who is easily tricked by the ultimate evil. His story arc (and yes he does have one) is quite sad.

As for Darth Maul I ask what is the difference between his character and the character of Tarkin in the OT or Boba Fett or Jabba the Hutt? Each of these characters served their purpose and were killed off. We get no backstory for Tarkin and none was needed. A lot of people wanted Darth Maul to be the Darth Vader of the PT but it was much more important for Obi-Wan to overcome him in TPM. And Darth Sidious fulfilled the main villain role pretty well IMO.

3. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Phil Collins is the BEST!

Oh, I forgot Bruce Spingsteen...

4. FRAGWAGON

Nov 3, 2012
    I've always said that Jar Jar's entire purpose is to reveal the character of people who come into contact with him. He was a great way for us to see Qui Gon's compassion and maturity in action (though severely tested...lol). We see Obi-Wan's young pride and selfishness through Jar Jar. We see Padme's egalitarian spirit, and Anakin's.

Yep. However, even with Tarkin's minimal screen time, he provides a more subtle evil persona than anything else in the OT. He is the smiling, gentlemanly evil that has good manners and smells of lavender.

In this way, Tarkin is much more of a throwback to the subtle phantom villains of the PT (Senator Palps, Dooku). The OT displays evil without it's mask on, always, EXCEPT in the case of the Grand Moff.

DO: subtle smiling villains
    DON'T: bother with giving them all elaborate story arcs. Give us archetypes

5. JoeyArnold

JoeyArnold Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    In the Attack of the Clones or in the Revenge of the Sith, in the senate, Jar Jar Binks motioned that Sidious be granted emergency powers.

That was the number one purpose of Jar Jar.

Sidious used a weak-minded Jar Jar in order to get emergency powers.

Everybody were the puppets of Sidious.

6. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I'll refer you to this:

7. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    And who wears nice, comfy slippers.

[​IMG]

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  8. GreedoCMZ

GreedoCMZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 13, 1999
    DO explain some things.

DON'T explain every thing.

9. JoeyArnold

JoeyArnold Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2012

Yes. True. Jar Jar illuminated the character of the characters around him, but more specifically I believe Sidious guided Kenobi & Qui Gon Jin into meeting Jar Jar so that Jar Jar could someday be used to help the chancellor become the emperor.

GreedoCMZ likes this.
  10. FRAGWAGON

Nov 3, 2012
    You're quite right, Joey. Except he didn't guide the Jedi into meeting Jar Jar. He was a convenient stooge for the fall of the Republic, but don't imagine he wouldn't have found a hundred others who'd make the same decision. The Senate was corrupt! He could've manipulated any of the Senators (apart from Mon Mothma's group) to elevate him. They all cheered ("so this is how democracy dies").

It's going to be very interesting to see what kind of villains we have in store for us in the ST. The heroes are pretty clear, but the villains...

Andy Wylde and Julius Vernon like this.
  11. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Obviously the droids were suppose to be less effective than the clone army, there' no metaphor there the droids had to be less effective than clones or there would be no point in making clones - the issue is Lucas made the droids to me pathetically less effective by giving them lame dialogue and actions that were reminiscent of a three stooges film. It added to the already silly feel the Gungan story line created. And calling me dumb....well. Cheap shot. There was no metaphor in Lucas's goal of "family entertainment".

Just look at this garbage:

12. Darth kRud

Nov 1, 2012
    Anyone who saw the original trilogy knew the chancellor was the Sith Emperor and not a good guy. Everyone knew Anakin would eventually turn to Darth Vader- the entire point of the series was to tell the story of Darth Vader and, well, it was lacking in 'darkness' and utterly simplistic to say the least. Yes they were suppose to be darker and failed miserably - this was the biggest complaint many of us had durring and after the release of the first two- Lucas assured us the third would be "darker" but as I said in an earlier post he already had the Anikin character pigeon holed into being a whiny little boy. I already gave some reasons why I think Disney needs to change teh approach with the new films but will expand when I have time with an even more elaborate critique of Lucas approach to the films. It would probably be a waste of my time because I fear you may be positioning yourself to disagree with anything I say at this point :)

At the end of the day I fear Disney will stick with Lucas's lame formula he came up with for the prequels but then again if they listen to ANY of the criticism Lucas took, and he took a lot, then they'll do a better job. Two things I don't want to see, first is childish drek as we saw in the first two prequels and I also don't want to see generic Avengers/Iron man type actions films. I don't think thats too much to ask, do you?

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  13. GreedoCMZ

GreedoCMZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 13, 1999
    "At the end of the day I fear Disney will stick with Lucas's [sic] lame formula he came up with for the prequels..."

I don't know for sure what will happen but I think there's a distinct possibility that they are aware of the prequels backlash and want to make sure that it will NOT happen again. Claiming, "Disney only makes cartoons for three year olds" might not hold much water. And, yes, the Avengers was good and shows that Disney can distribute a not-for-three-year-olds film, but soooooo much more needs to go into a Star Wars film. BTW, when Avengers was out I was at the theater for another movie and was out in the hallway waiting and a mother kept coming out of an Avengers screening with her three year old son who kept getting frightened by it and crying and ruining things for the remainder of the audience. And maybe it was just that one kid but it shows that a "Disney" movie was scaring the bejeebers out of a little kid.

Julius Vernon and Darth kRud like this.
  14. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm not too worried, as I think it will be more the writers and directors who make those decisions. I doubt Disney will interfere.

Julius Vernon likes this.
  15. Darth kRud

Nov 1, 2012
  16. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    Great book. A cleverly disguised commentary on the excesses and artificiality of the 80s.

Now, if you excuse me, I have to return some videotapes.

Pro Scoundrel and Darth kRud like this.
  17. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    And who appears to have an erection. Can I say that in here?

18. Darth kRud

Nov 1, 2012
    The book, I had to put it down a few times - now that was DARK/DISTURBING content. The PVC pipe/rat chapter....I won't even go there. Sometimes when I want to leave an uncomfortable situation I say that...."I have to return some video tapes". People look at me like I'm mad. LOL.

MrFantastic74 likes this.
  19. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012

Your focus determines your reality. [face_plain]

MrFantastic74 likes this.
  20. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Don't have OT characters wearing the same clothes they did in the OT.

burrisjedimaster1 likes this.
  21. burrisjedimaster1

burrisjedimaster1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    Only Lukes Tatooine garb!!!!

22. darthtuttle

darthtuttle Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    Depends on the xharacter and context. i don't mind luke's rotj costume. han could get away with his usual. the metal bikini is the most obvious no.

Julius Vernon likes this.
  23. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Your icon is a sweet piece of artwork. Who or what is that from? Go HERE and be worshipped.

24. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    What? You think that in the SWU, washing machines still haven't advanced to the point that you can wash the same garment for 40 years without wearing it out?
    [face_plain]

25. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I would actually think in such an advanced civilization that the clothes themselves are not only durable but self cleaning(this might actually be on the horizon in the real world). But jeez, you'd think someone might just take on a slight style change after so many years and we can all love new costumes.

If anything Luke can get away with an ROTJ outfit. I think Jedi folk tend to maintain the look.

Count Yubnub likes this.