main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit LEGACY is back!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Volderon, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    "The Emperor as personification of the Will of the Force" seems like an odd idea in itself- I wonder how it came about?

2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Ganner Krieg had the same view, as expressed in VECTOR and elsewhere. He even said it was part of their oaths to be Imperial Knights.

And, of course, Draco Antares came around to that view in WAR too...

It seems to be the official Imperial Knight ideology, with just a few younger knights (Dracp Antares, perhaps Sigel Dare) losing sight of it for a little while.

I'm thinking it's at least 10 years after WAR... perhaps even a generation or two later.

Perhaps from Roan being Jaina's grandson, which would make him the great-great grandson of Anakin Skywalker, who born of the Force.

3. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    How would they have found out how Anakin was born?

4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Isn't it common knowledge now, at least among the higher-up's in the Jedi and government?

5. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Its unclear how much time has passed. We know its after War though.

6. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    From whom though? Did Yoda tell Luke, and Luke tell everyone else?

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm unsure what the limiting principle is to the notion that the emperor is the enobidiment of the force.

It seems a distinction devoid of substance in most practical circumstances. In such a deferential order of chivalry, who makes this call? Leaving it to individual IK seems contrary to orderly principles but leaving it up to the head of the order renders the decision vulnerable to personal foibles.

Misa ab iPhono meo.

8. DarthNefaris

DarthNefaris Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 11, 2011
    The fact the Emperor is the Embodiment of the Will of the Force always intrigued me : how the Empire did become religious to this point? We can infer [fan assumptions here] that Jaina's role would be of great importance, introducing a Jedi Order (the imperial knight) into the Empire but still, to truly believe that the Emperor embodies the will of the force... it's very odd to believe. Unless Fel II (since Jagged is not force-sensitive) would have an oneness with the Force like Jacen in Unifying Force, I don't know what signs could appear to make people believe that. Unless it's only brainwashing but I doubt Jaina would let such thing happen.

9. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    My fanon thinking in regards to the IK's is that when the order was formed, the Jedi who made it (be it Jaina or Tahiri or anyone else) wanted to essentially make a Chapter of the Jedi Order in Imperial space. Imperial forces had long been interested in getting their own Jedi after all. The Shadow Academy was an attempt to make Imperial Jedi, Chak Fel I think asked Mara about establishing one and Jagged ask Jaina about it in maybe LotF or FotJ. So, eventually, its agreed but Imperial forces want Imperial Jedi, not a branch of Jedi in their own space who could go off on their own or go to Luke's order. So, as a compromise, they decide that the newly formed Imperial Knights will serve the Emperor but so long as he embodies the light side of the Force. And the initial Imperial Knights recognised this but the newer recruits that developed in time were more indoctrinated in their devotion to the Emperor compared to the early Knights.

But thats my fanon explanation. Maybe the new Legacy series might explore this a bit more.

10. jedimaster203

jedimaster203 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 19, 1999
    I think the IKs doctrine is more out of acknowledgement of the past than anything else. Experience shows that a powerful force user (decended from the Skywalker line!) in charge of an Empire is a very bad thing. The IKs are more than just bodyguards, they're a check against the tyranny a darkside emperor could create. That is probably why Draco won't get in any trouble for cutting down his lord...because its his job.

11. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Is the Emperor as the embodiment of the Will of the Force really that different from the Jedi Order? I mean Luke's Order acts as though he is the embodiment of the Force.

Summer Dreamer and Ulicus like this.
  12. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Yeah. Pretty much. The Emperor is simply the Grand Master of their order. We've already seen plenty of NJO Jedi who prefer a more authoritarian approach. I mean, remember the extent to which Luke's whole "Yo, I'm Grand Master, now" thing backfired? He'd wanted them to unite against him, only for them to instead say "YES DEAR LEADER, PLEASE LEAD US DEAR LEADER!" (urgh)

I figure it's pretty much a case of the NJO-proper eventually sliding back into a more Council oriented structure and de-emphasising the Grand Master role (hopefully), while the IK remain enamored with it and run in the opposite direction. Hell, maybe what causes the split is an Emperor being the Grand Master of the Jedi Order, constantly butting heads with the rest of the Council, and eventually deciding to go off and do his own thing.

Zorrixor likes this.
  13. max-attac

max-attac Jedi Knight star 1

May 23, 2009
    Jeff_Ferguson, Zorrixor and Ulicus like this.
  14. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    This entire section was a love letter to Nick.

15. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    "[Yalta Val] represents the new Triumvirate government and runs into some trouble in this Outer Rim system. I don't want to go any further, but he's an enormous part of how the story starts."

Interesting, so they specifically call the government a triumvirate, rather than federation or anything. [face_thinking]

16. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    How nice of them to give CBR that exclusive, via the March solicitations a week ago. o_O

Sold.

Doubly sold.

17. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    So does this mean that jedi are now ruling over others as part of this Triumvirate?

Cause if so, I will be disgusted that they have fallen so far.

18. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    Gorefiend likes this.
  19. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    If so that will mean of the triumvirate, two are force users.

20. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    I'm just about sold on this. And I'm actually interested in our female lead. ONe thing I hated about Legacy was Cade, everyone around Cade was find for the most part, but I hated Cade with a passion. He came off as an attempt to make a hip and cool hero that was a combo of Vader,Luke, and Han all rolled into one person. He also cried, and he cried for 50 issues. It which case he was definitly like his Great Great Grandfather, who cried for 2 whole movies.

Ania sounds interesting.

One other thing I'm disliking is more SITH. Enough with the Sith already. Hopefully this story will involve the ultimate dirt nap(atleast for a while) of the Sith, and then they can move onto bigger and better ideas, that don't envolve Sith.

21. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Like moving onto tie-ins to three new films that'll probably involve more Sith? :p

22. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    I think it was inevitable that Sith would be involved considering that they did scatter in the end and plus the EU right now is very very fond of using Sith recently who have featured so much in every era almost. Not a complaint but more of an observation. Though I kind of hope for something more... we do have the unresolved Mandalorian plotline as an example and I would very much like to see the Vong name cleared a bit. Have Sith, that can't be avoided but I hope a different formula is used.

Hmm and considering its about legacies... lets see a grown up Rotta the Hutt who is angry at Ania and sends a Mando bounty hunter from Clan Fett to capture her :p j/king

23. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004

stop turning my fanfics into potential canon stories :p

Cronal likes this.
  24. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I am thrilled to see that my love affair with Legacy will continue. [face_love]

I absolutely LOVE that Hardman touches on the very part of the Mon Calamari that I admire the most. How awesome that they touch on that moment when the Executor goes down and Ackbar sits back in his command chair and hangs his head. There is a TON of emotion is that little scence, and I do agree that there is a moment of soulfulness that has Ackbar realizing the scope of what the Rebels were about to acchieve.

Anyone have the email to Bechko & Hardman? I need to email those guys. :D

Color me EQUALLY impressed that they will touch on the Triumvirate's efforts to start a new government. Note the line "government or an Empire". It will be so awesome to see how the Stazi, Marasiah, and K'kruhk try to figure out how to govern and reunify the galaxy. I fully expect there to be challenges and I cannot wait to see them!

Also- the fact that the Mon Calamari will be so prominent gives me hope that this series will eventually involve the RESTORATION OF DAC! [face_praying]

--Adm. Nick

25. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Make that the Restoration of Mon Cala.

JoinTheSchwarz and CooperTFN like this.