main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Who's The Baddie?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by fishtailsam, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Corvax855

Corvax855 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2011
    I wouldn't be THAT sure. There have been a few subtle hints that something might be going on with the character. For one, the novel was cancelled and delayed (for unexplained reasons) for about 4 years before seeing the light of day. From what Dave Filoni said, Lucas was partially inspired to delve back into 7-9 by working on The Clone Wars. In that show, Maul was brought back, so you know the return of once-thought-dead Sith Lords has been on Lucas' mind. Granted, none of this is much to go on, but it's better than nothing.

You also have to take into account how Plagueis fits into the overall story of Anakin's origins. There's still a lot of explaining to do, and in the earlier outlines of the overall SW story, the Emperor didn't die until waaaay later. Since the Emperor's dead, who better to take his place than the guy who trained him? That little scene in RotS where they talk about Plagueis may seem like a throwaway line, but so was Obi Wan's about the Clone Wars. Just a thought.

Immortiss, Ryus and Darth_Quintonis like this.
  2. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    I have just finished reading Darth Plagueis and for me it redeemed a great deal of my TPM ire. It was the first EU novel for me in a long, long time (probably 10 years or more) and I loved how he connected various loose ends very satisfying ( especially the whole Dooku and Syfo Dyas buisness). I think he would be a great villain for the ST, his mention in ROTS could be a similar thing to Obi Wan mentioning the Clone Wars in EPIV.
    I don't think that he was not interested in politics, he just saw that a human had a better chance in becoming chancellor than a greedy Muun. He wanted to rule in secret as Vice Chancellor, after all and wanted to diverge from the Rule of Two, at least from the Master/apprentice relationship.

I have yet to see TCW Season 5, but I always(since the announcement) suspected that Lucas would use TCW as an inroduction to some characters that will feature in the ST. I don't know if Maul lives or dies (again) in TCW, but if he is not dead yet I could see a scenario where Maul is rescued by Plagueis and they retreat into hiding (like the 1000 years before the Revelation in TPM) to bide their time to strike again. They both hate Palpatine because he dumped them and could return again after his death in ROTJ (maybe even along with Ventress). I could even see Lucas and Filoni ending TCW with S 6 and following it with an animated series that detail the events after the battle of Endor to set up even more for the ST. You could inrtoduce Luke's wife to be and the kids birth and even introduce the new Baddies. I would also be a great way to canonize some EU stuff (like the Thrawn era).

3. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I find that hard to believe. George has said that he really doesn't pay attention to or get involved with the EU.

4. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
  5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It was when the original idea was a Darth Vader clone- he nixed it- they suggested Palpatine clones, he said yes.

His involvement with the EU (at least, the early EU, and NJO) was mostly to do with this sort of thing- forbidding Obi-Wan clone in The Thrawn Trilogy, permitting Luke clone & C'baoth instead. Forbidding Luke to be killed off in NJO. Deciding Anakin Solo instead of Jacen Solo was the one to die in NJO.

Ryus likes this.
  6. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Now, the original, Red-skinned, Sith might be pretty cool if done well, but in my earlier post (IIRC) I was thinking that, since the ST is going to be a completely original story, that TPTB wouldn't include the LTotS or the RoO Sith, because they are from the post-RotJ EU. Where as Darth Plagueis, and I highly doubt he will appear in the ST, was mentioned by Darth Sidious in RotS, so it makes more sense for the possibility even if it is extremely unlikely that he willl appear in ST (due to GL's stance that what happens in the films takes precedence over anything that happens in the EU.)

7. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    People who saw the movies, but who never were really into fandom, won't even remember who Plagueis is.
    So, don't bring him back!

8. JoeyArnold

JoeyArnold Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    Pla

No. Plagueis wan't in any of the six films. He is only mentioned briefly in the third film. People do not need to remember Plagueis. Michael Arnt needs to written an amazing story and if written right it can include Plagueis, Tenebrous, Bane or somebody cool like that.

9. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    The name 'Tenebrous' is too complicated.

10. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Of all the ways to bring the Sith back for the ST I think this is the one that irks me the most for some reason. It might be because I find the concept of bringing people back from the dead silly or it might be because I absolutely love the sheer pleasure Palpatine enjoys when speaking of how he killed his master in his sleep or it could be I don't like the idea of delving into Palpatine's past because I would like there to be some mystery to the villains. Whatever it is I just don't like the idea of Plagueis as the main baddie and really want something none of us have even thought of.

11. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    For goodness sakes people, he's DEAD, get over it.

Watch ROTS, read the novel, read Darth Plagueis. DEAD.

12. JoeyArnold

JoeyArnold Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    is the master of Tenebrous or the master of his master dead?

13. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    Once again I am thankful fans are not the ones writing this script. How is that reasoning logical enough. Note I in no way expect Tenebrous to be in the films, but if your reasoning for it is that the name is to complicated.... wow, just wow.

14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I want Darth Plagueis to come back. He's the sith lord we deserve but not the one we need right now.

15. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    Thank you for a sane post. That is a good point you make about TCW and Lucas getting jumpstarted to work on Ep. 7. Perhaps it was something as simple as "Wow, this show is a hit. More movies is a good idea" or, it could be as specific as "what they're doing with this character is great - it inspires me." I just feel Lucas may want to move forward instead of filling in gaps in the historical record. He seems content to let certain ideas get worked over in the EU, others not so much.

Darth Plagueis was a handy plot device to wrangle Anakin into Palp's web of evil. His character (Mr. Plagueis) definitely has bearing on the events that played out in the PT, no question. It just seems odd that we'd get a cinematic return after all this in-universe time. Unless there is some story to be told about Sith abilities to cheat death and achieve unnatural long life. That really could be something interesting and I am happy to be proven wrong if we get an awesome movie out of it.

With Maul, I just don't get that much of an *importance* to the story. He was the bad guy of the week/minute and was sliced before Anakin's voice changed. For him to still be kicking it after all this time is just one of those ideas I think works better in comics/cartoons/etc than in a live action film. Some things just seem silly when played out with living people.

16. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012

3:00 through 3:30 he questions if he can somehow cheat death but then goes on to assume he's dead. The big question being, can he cheat death. In Palpatines opinion it was a resounding no but the door is still open for Plagueis to manifest in the flesh. Perhaps part of his ability to cheat death was to die just as the Jedi died in order to appear in 'ghost' form. Perhaps Plagueis could manifest in the flesh in lieu of ghost form. Even so, in the actual film, not counting any EU books, the situation is even more ambiguous. I for one would like some continuity AND mostly all new characters but if the new series features Jedi chasing down bounty hunters and other non dark side of the force wielding villains I'll be extremely disappointed. Whats Star Wars without light saber duels? Lucas also never delved into the Sith story line with any meaningful depth so there's still a lot of potential for the Sith. What sort of villain would you like to see?

Immortiss and Darth_Quintonis like this.
  17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Bounty hunters with lightsabers? A Jedi civil war?

18. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
    wouldn't that rationale include Jedi? They were all but eradicated and were reborn with Luke....the sith should continue their presence imho...just not be center stage

19. Darth kRud

Nov 1, 2012
    Ya or a Jedi could turn to the dark side on his/her own. I'm not emotionally fixated on any one story line outside of my opinion we need Sith in the new series, or some even more powerful unknown force wielding light saber toting villains but that seems like a stretch. Palpatine and Vader were epic villains so I'm not sure how you one up that?

20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Do they need to "one-up" the OT to make it a good movie?

21. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    Yes, he cheated death by prolonging the lives of dying people, but as Palpatine said in ROTS he could not save himself. Palpatine's face of glee in that scene where he is telling the story of his death should tell us that Plagueis is truly dead. No, the door is not open for Plaguies to manifest in the flesh - the last we saw of him, he was dead, not cheating death, not living, but dead.

Sith cannot come back as Force Ghosts, only Jedi can. Yes, continuity would be good, but we can have characters from the previous films who are still alive at this point. Even if Sith appear (which I hope they don't), they should be new original characters. Yes, we can have lightsaber duels, but do we really need to bring back dead characters to do that? The PT did well with introducing Darths Maul and Tyrannus, the ST will do the same.

For me, the ideal villain in the ST should be anything but the Sith.

22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    There's been a few "Sith Ghosts" in the EU -still, I'd rather not see one of Palpatine or Plagueis.

23. Darth kRud

Nov 1, 2012
    Ok then, lower our expectations, have mediocre villains and not so good story line? What made the original Star Wars trilogy so good was the groundbreaking story telling/characters/effects. I think Disney should shoot for the stars with the new films. Yes of course we as fans should want to see Star Wars exceed into new groundbreaking territory :) I'd love that to happen.

24. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    A villain who relies on smarts, rather than raw power, maybe.

25. Darth kRud

Nov 1, 2012
    We never saw him in any of the films. His name was injected into the film story line in a manner that can be interpreted in many ways. Like I said though, it doesnt have to be Plagueis but I do want to see Sith. If no Sith then what would you like to see? Lets hear details.

Darth_Quintonis likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.