main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ITT...I'm Batman (Discussion)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Import_Jedi, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Batman Begins? That's the same franchise.

Though I can't find them, my posts calling Nolan's job better than average must have been great.

No, those are two entirely different concepts. In addition to inventing positions for me ( see above ), you're now labeling any post that doesn't meet your standards as a "tempter [sic] tantrum". All this demonstrates is that you see no reason to tell the truth. You made the charge, and you can't back it up. That's what brings us to the "R" part of PPOR.

2. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Arawn is clearly not reading all your counter points, wocky, and it's also clear she's trolling to get a rise (lol) out of you. Just ignore the trolling

3. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Trolling the troll?

4. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Describe Qui-Gon in one word.
    [​IMG]

5. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Yeah, but this isn't.

Irrational (read: unthoughtful) reactions are actually pretty integral to the definition.

Upon review of your posts, I seem to have misremembered your position about the quality of Nolan's work. Apologies.

If I had to choose one, it would probably be "mystic." As a noun, it describes his function in society. He is a wandering religious mystic. As an adjective, it pretty well describes his philosophy, especially as contrasted with the other popular trends in Jedi philosophy at that time. I'm curious about what relevance this exercise had for a thread about Batman, though.

Now that we have cleared out every other possible issue in this thread, can you please just tell me what Talia Al'Ghul's character was?

6. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    You didn't misremember my position, because I never took a position to be misremembered in the first place. You made up my position, just like you made up the fact that I even took a position on the issue. You're basically making up this whole thing as you go along. It's interesting - in a slow motion car crash kind of way - but ultimately pointless.

You can insist all you want that you have the power to redefine words and concepts, but it's not going to do you any good. A post that you find yourself unable to appreciate or understand may get stuck with the label "unthoughtful" - because, obviously, if people would only think about your standards they'd clearly be compelled to make better posts - but that doesn't make it "irrational". There was nothing irrational about it. Nor was it, quote, an "irrational display of emotion" or an "outburst" or anything else germane to the completely different concept you're unsuccessfully trying to conflate with it.

7. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Talia Al'Ghul? Description? Please?

We first asked at least 105 posts ago. Can you give us an answer yet?

8. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    You really don't get the point? Not sure if I believe that, but whatever.

TDKR is getting the by-the-book RLM prequel treatment. And thus it comes as no surprise that the Nolanverse Tea Party talking points are no more substantial, accurate or meaningful than the Star Wars Tea Party talking points.

In other words, the real problem with TDKR is the amount of Jar Jar content.

9. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Wait. She?

ARAWN EXPLAIN YOURSELF.

darthcaedus1138 and Arawn_Fenn like this.
  10. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Can you please just get to your impression of what Talia's character was, already.

Ender_Sai likes this.
  11. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    What does Frank Miller's seminal work have to do with the Nolanverse?

12. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    "Everything."

13. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Er...that's a joke, right?

14. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Ender has made plain that he doesn't think TDKRises should be referred to as TDKR, because TDKR is, and shall always be, The Dark Knight Returns. Jeez, Invidious, I'm not even really paying attention to this thread and even I caught that. :-B:p

Ender_Sai likes this.
  15. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    No no, I'm well aware Mr. Bond here can't stand Rises being abbreviated just like TDKR. But I'm wondering if he's ignoring how this trilogy is so heavily influenced by Miller's work (back when Miller was good and slightly saner, that is).

16. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    You know what my question is. I'm just posting here to remind you. Can anyone at all answer this?

17. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Darth_Invidious

Well... I feel silly, now.

But I felt silly before, too, so it's not a big deal.

"THERE IS AS YET INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER."

18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    What if when Alfred was at Florence at the end of the movie he was seeing Patrick Bateman instead of Bruce Wayne? :eek:

RC-1991 likes this.
  19. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Dude, you know what the answer is: Talia was a half baked character who relied on a twist in order to gain some sort of meaningfulness. Half baked as in not fully fleshed out, incomplete. There, can we move on now?

20. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    [​IMG]

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  21. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Ulicus was right, I was being a smartass.

Thought to be fair, I think there's much more of Year One than TKDR in the Nolan trilogy. And my favourite Batman book, Loeb/Sale's The Long Halloween.

Oh, don't start me on that.

Did Catwoman just spent every day bored at this cafe with Bruce waiting for Alfred to show up?

Ham fisted symbolism =/= deep and meaningful.

Though I can't wait for Arawn's watered down explanation and defence of that scene.

Order66Survivor likes this.
  22. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    the dark knight rolanda

23. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    i like how you can tell that bain has a huge boner for fighting and punching.

24. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I just wanted to give Arwan a chance so no one would say we refused to listen to reasonable points in the movie's favor. I was hoping to get some sort of response.

25. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Thank you, IMAX!

Clearly Alfred is one of those people Bruce secretly tracks with implanted microchips as hinted in the screenplay.

Order66Survivor likes this.