main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT How did Vader knew that Luke is his son?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by TheRevanchist, Dec 13, 2012.

1. TheRevanchist

TheRevanchist Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 13, 2012
    A question that has intrigued me for ages and newer knew the right answer. Vader in 'A New Hope' didn't had an idea that Luke is his son (or Leia is his daughter). Yet in the 'The Empire Strikes Back' both him and Palpatine know that Luke Skywalker is the son of Anakin Skywalker, Palps even tell Vader that the son of Skywalker must not become a Jedi. How did that happen though?

From the new trilogy we know that Vader didn't know that Padme's twins have survived. Palpatine probably knew it but he surely didn't know that who are them. In the first episode of the original trilogy there were no signs that they knew it. So, it sound confusing to me how did they found it in the second episode. Was it that they feel a disturbance in the force for Luke, and combined with the events of him and Kenobi in the Star Destroyer made them link pieces together to know it, or did they made some research and found it. Or because Luke was a Skywalker they understood it?

2. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    You'll have to do some fill in the blanks on this one, but basically:
    • A pilot, whom Vader sensed is strong in the force blew up the Death Star
    • There was an obvious search for who this person is
    • The name Skywalker comes up, and traced him back to Tatooine
    • Vader knows that Obi-Wan is involved in this somehow
    • The force sheds light on things for both Vader and Palpatine
    So it's not hard to put two and two together on this one...

3. Trask Ulgo

Trask Ulgo Jedi Padawan star 3

Dec 8, 2012
    I remember hearing that Vader choked a rebel officer til he told him that the person who destroyed the Death Star was Luke Skywalker.

Order66Survivor likes this.
  4. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Uh

He felt it, plain and simple.

5. Felicia

Felicia Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    At the end of the prequel trilogy there were no real signs that anyone knew. Even if Palpatine did know which I find highly unlikely he would have thought they were dead. After Luke blew up the Death Star in a New Hope its likely his name spread across the galaxy like wild fire. I am still not sure that Vader knew Luke was his son because all he says is "The Force is strong with this one." My thinking is that he found out sometime in between a New Hope and the Empire Strikes Back.

6. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    "The Force" is the only plausible answer.

7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In The Rise & Fall of Darth Vader, he doesn't know for certain (though he entertains the possibility and dismisses it) but Palpatine has no doubt about it- possibly due, as mentioned, to The Force.

8. Wardyface

Wardyface Jedi Youngling

Dec 19, 2012
    Was Luke an accident or it was a planned pregnancy?

9. Kurnous Ntol

Kurnous Ntol Jedi Youngling

Nov 29, 2012
    There´s a comic where Darth Vader learns about the name of the pilot who destroyed the Death Star and inmediately makes the connection. The Force was strong with that pilot, and I guess there aren´t many Skywalkers around in the galaxy.

10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Even in the comics, while Vader is extremely alarmed, and starts killing people who know that fact- it's not made explicit what his conclusion is (The comic was Vader's Quest).

Lucas has also stated that there are, in fact, a lot of Skywalkers in the SW galaxy.

11. Lando's Little Maneuver

Lando's Little Maneuver Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    You....errr.....you've seen episode 3 right? Yeah, it's pretty well much covered there in the first 30 minutes.

12. Wardyface

Wardyface Jedi Youngling

Dec 19, 2012
    It ha been a while and the Anakin romance scenes were always a weak point of the prequels

13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    From Anakin's point of view. It's left a bit more vague as to whether Padme got pregnant "on purpose" or not.

14. Lando's Little Maneuver

Lando's Little Maneuver Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    It seemed pretty unplanned to me, I honestly don't know how you could take that scene any other way. Padme is searching Anakin's face for reassurance when she tells him, and then ask "what are we going to do?" Which certainly doesn't sound like something someone would say if they had premeditated it.

15. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    True. Does raise interesting questions as to what methods of contraception, if any, exist in the SW galaxy.

16. Felicia

Felicia Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    Padme worried a lot about Anakin. I truly feel that Padme could take care of herself after watching her in the first two films but she was worried about how the Jedi would perceive Anakin. She always tried to do things to sooth him. In the end she could not handle all of the stress Anakin brought her. When she told him she seemed happy but as Anakin began to act more strangely she began to stress even more.

17. STARKILLER365

STARKILLER365 Jedi Youngling

Dec 20, 2012
    - Guy with strong Force blowed the Death Star
    - Emperor says Anakin Skywalker has a son
    - I assume Darth Vader didn't lost his long-term memory
    - Sith have the Force too, you know. It is almost certain that Vader felt that Luke was his son

18. Frankakin skywalker

Frankakin skywalker Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 13, 2012
    o_O Seriously? Revanchist, did you know there's this thing called THE FORCE? When Vader got by Luke, he could sense two things: One, He was strong in the force. Two, Luke was his son.

19. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    Could it be familial resemblance? While naturally it is limited because of casting choices in the film, Anakin and Luke presumably have resemblance in the universe.

20. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I agree with that, but I always wondered why he didn't notice it with Leia. Was it because she was not exposed to Force training when she was dealing with Vader? Supposedly Vader tortured her (I think it was in one of those radio dramas). So if they spent a lot of time together how come Vader never sensed Leia was his daughter?

21. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    It's in the movie...
    [​IMG]

22. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I know that, but there was a radio drama where it detailed the torture. In the movie you see the droid come in and the door closed. Vader could have left two minutes later...we don't know exactly what happened based on the movie. But in the radio drama you know he was with her during the entire time. So my point was...since he was with her a long time during her torture how come he didn't pick up the fact that she was his daughter if he could sense Luke was his son?

http://scifi.about.com/od/starwarsfilms/fr/SWAR_radio-drama.htm

23. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    In The Rise & Fall of Darth Vader, Vader uses the Force to make Leia think she's in pain- after the droid has drugged her. And pretends to be a Rebel desperately needing the information. She still manages to keep the info secret. The scene also makes an appearance in the Jude Watson book Star Wars Journal: Captive to Evil- which is presented as Leia's diary of the events in the novel.

Hence "Her resistance to the mind probe is considerable."

24. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Yeah, I know she didn't break. I was just saying Vader spent a lot of time with Leia. If he could feel through the Force that Luke was his son, why not his daughter? My guess was it was because Luke had started to have Force training. Or maybe there was just a big plot hole in the movie. I think I read that Lucas originally did not have Leia as Luke's sister so that would explain Vader not sensing Leia as his daughter...the Flanneled One hadn't decided that Leia and Luke were siblings at that point.

25. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Seems reasonable. "There is another" as the reason not to despair because Luke's rushing off to confront Vader, doesn't entirely make sense if it's Leia, because Leia's already in Vader's hands at that moment.