main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Group movie - The Hobbit Saturday, Dec 22nd

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by catz44, Nov 13, 2012.

?

When should we go see the Hobbit?

1. Friday, December 14th (opening night)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Friday, December 21st

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Saturday, December 22nd

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  4. Other... (list below)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. JawaJaka

JawaJaka Jedi Knight star 2

May 24, 2011
    I'd rather go to UA Colorado or AMC Highlands. But if Continental is where we're going that's fine with me. Real 3D please, in the afternoon (1ish). As for those complaining about having to drive from the north, I'm from S. Aurora and have been driving to the north for sometime without complaining. Unfortunately, I'll have to curbtail my forays into the north for awhile (saving money for trip to CEII in Germany).

2. catz44

catz44 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    It's not about the drive its about having kids and having them be with a babysitter for so long see the response above.

3. JawaJaka

May 24, 2011
    Your right, my apologies. Guess I didn't read very well. Work is getting to me...

4. DieWompRatDie

DieWompRatDie Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2008
    Via io9.com...
    That highly touted, cutting edge frame rate that Jackson chose to introduce with his Lord of the Rings prequel. Turns out, it does not go well with a big dinner and a weak stomach.
    The New Zealand Herald reports that fans checking out The Hobbit's New Zealand premiere (those lucky dogs) have had issues with nausea, dizziness and migraines caused by the faster-than-usual frame rate.
    Typically, films run at a rate 24 frames per second. But, to make The Hobbit freakishly sharp, Jackson opted to adopt the experimental 48 frames per second. The director has been raving about the frame rate bump for much of the film's development, with the biggest advantage being that it cuts down on motion blur for effects.
    For most fans it won't even matter, as only a small amount of theaters will show the film at 48 frames per second, as the studio tests the market for the new effect. But for those lucky enough to catch it as Jackson intended, you might want to make it a light meal before heading in.

5. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
  6. QueenHighMistress

QueenHighMistress Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    48 fps = [face_sick]

Awesome.

catz44 likes this.
  7. FanForced

FanForced Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2007
    I was planning on having popcorn. I don't want it upchucked on the head of the person in front of me.

8. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Maybe I'll just go see this Ultra-Realistic-Super-3D-Peter-Jackson-Definitive-Nausea-Edition some other time. [face_sick]

9. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008
    There was that time ICEE ended up on the person sitting in front of you...

FanForced likes this.
  10. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Also of note: The 9-minute preview for Star Trek 2 is only showing on the IMAX version of The Hobbit.

However, I would gladly skip the IMAX version this time because the 3D quality is inferior to RealD, and because the ticket price is ungodly high...

11. JawaJaka

May 24, 2011
    Have we decided on a time yet?

12. FanForced

Jun 15, 2007
    They're not listing times yet for December 22. Maybe it's too far out. But I'm guessing we'll try to get a showtime for after dinner time, like 7 PM?

13. FanForced

Jun 15, 2007
    The Hobbit ticket sales at that theater are still not showing up for the 22nd!! That's ridiculous. It's a week away.

14. he-guy

he-guy RMFF CR star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    Theaters w/ HFR 3D in Denver

Westminster 24 with IMAX (Westminster, CO 80020)
    Highlands Ranch 24 with IMAX (Highlands Ranch, CO 80129)
    Northfield 18 (Denver, CO 80238)
    Century 16 (Boulder, CO 80302)
    Century 16 Bel Mar + XD (Lakewood, CO 80226)
    Colorado Center 9 + IMAX (Denver, CO 80222)
    Continental 10 (Denver, CO 80237)

Some of these theaters use Fandango and some use movietickets.com, but you can pretty much figure out what the showtimes and ticket prices will be by clicking order tickets on each site.

15. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    Welcome to my world. We lived with that ridiculousness until 3 days before the premiere. I bought our group tickets and then we ended up returning them 1.5hr before the movie because the place was so dead. I mean, seriously, NO LINE. What's the point of that? And the theater probably still doesn't get the fact that they didn't sell many tickets because they didn't put them on sale at a decent date.

16. Nerfherders

Nerfherders RMFF Treasurer star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    I assume we're seeing this in HFR 3D? cuz I've already seen this in normal 2D.

Hobbit is not listed for Dec 22nd at Continental yet, but other movies are. Strange!

17. FanForced

Jun 15, 2007
    I know, right?? I keep checking, but nada. I think we should pick another theater. We're gonna lose attendees if they start making other plans, myself included.

18. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008
    Showtimes are posted! Here's the lowdown:

Continental 10 on December 22nd

Non-3-D showtime - 3:30 PM (one showing the whole day, crazy)
    Real 3-D, non-high frame rate - 4 and 8 PM - $14.00
    Real 3-D, RPX/humongous screen (like IMAX), high frame rate - 7 pm - $15.50
    Digital 3-D (different than Real 3-D), high frame rate, non-RPX/IMAX screen - 7:30 PM, - $14.00

Supposedly the "Real 3-D" is better then "digital 3-D" since the image is brightened and sharpened to offset the darkness/muddiness caused by 3-D glasses when watching the movie, (See Tron: Legacy).

I'm good with either the 7 or 7:30. Is the Real 3-D worth the extra $1.50 each? Dunno. However at 7, we'd have to eat dinner earlier to make that movietime, so I'm leaning towards the 7:30, but am happy either way. I'm guessing Ben would like to see the Real 3-D based on his post above.

Thoughts?

19. Nerfherders

Nerfherders RMFF Treasurer star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    I was just going to post that...

Anyways I'd want to see it on the RPX HFR 3D so my vote is 7.

20. FanForced

Jun 15, 2007
    I'm good with either 7 or 7:30. Will we need to arrive early? It's not opening weekend so I'm thinking just a comfortable 30 min before show time.

21. JawaJaka

May 24, 2011
    With those ridiculous prices I'm out. I'll wait til it's on the $7 Walmart bluray and watch it at home.

22. FanForced

Jun 15, 2007
    Booo! We'll miss you.

23. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008
    Will there be a +1?

24. FanForced

Jun 15, 2007
    I heard from Ben and he wants the 7 PM as well, so that's the majority. 7 PM at the Continental it is! Do you think 30 minutes early is enough time?

25. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Probably, since the theater is so big and it's not opening day. I expect there will be a line though.

Also, I may be +1 or +2 for the movie. Some of my family will be in town Saturday and I don't know exactly what they're doing that night yet.