main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    You see that little arrow in the corner of the chatbox? That turns general chat off. Use it, if you have any interest in remaining sane.

2. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    What arrow? What chatbox? Why do you think any of us are sane?

CeiranHarmony likes this.
  3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Summary of recent posts: Jello thinks Empire is swell, Nick thinks GA is swell, instant thinks JC is sane, Rilwen apparently Sith.

4. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Have to love the guy who orders that his superior officer should be socked for being insufferably stubborn.

To hell with his final speech I love the guy for that.

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Including Palpatine? ;)

6. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Strangely, as much as I've hated the term "Empire" being used rather than the EU staple of Sith Empire, now that I've started playing it I actually... find I don't now mind, weird as it feels. I suppose, playing an Inquisitor, I understand why they just call it "the Empire" as that's what it is to them.

But if when I start playing a Jedi they're still not emphasising the Sith part... I'll probably find it weird again.

7. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Yeah. The only issue is how the Republic/Jedi side address them. It's like referring to "the Union" instead of "the Soviets".

Random Comments likes this.
  8. CaptainPeabody

CaptainPeabody Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 15, 2008
    I don't know, even "Soviet" is simply a term for a type of organization, just one that's slightly more distinctive than "Union"...and, I mean, "United States" is not too distinctive either, nor is "United Kingdom." Likewise, in the Civil War, I'm pretty sure even observers referred to "the Union" and "the Confederacy," and not just "Southerners" and "Northerners."

The main point of titles like that, especially popular ones, is just to be short and distinctive. For a citizen of the Republic during TOR, "the Empire" would seem to fit the bill pretty well--and it forms a nice, catchy dualism with "Republic". It's not like there are really any other "Empire"s at the time of the TOR that the Jedi might get it confused with.

Also, to your typical Republic citizen, "Sith" might not have too much meaning; and, more to the point, it might be somewhat confusing, since Revan's "Sith Empire" and Exar Kun's "Sith Empire" were both very recent, and neither have that much in common with the TOR Sith Empire.

Basically, in a long-running Cold War, it makes some amount of sense that the two sides' names would eventually get broken down into the shortest distinctive units possible (like "Soviets" and "US"). So I think having the Republic and Jedi refer to "the Empire" rather than "Sith Empire" or "True Sith" makes some amount of sense.

Esg likes this.
  9. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    The lack of non-Human IKs was a conscious decision on John & Jan's part --- one of them said as much in a post here once, that there was a reason that hadn't yet been revealed. Presumably Roan insituted a Human-only policy after Eshkar Niin's defection; I imagine that John & Jan would have gone into that in more detail had the rug not been pulled from under them and forced them to rush the Draco/Havok storyline. But probably not too much detail, else Roan's ultimate fall would have been a bit too obvious. That's why I kinda like the subtlety that currently exists, even if it was probably a product of a poor editorial decision.

10. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    People on here are discussing the Old Republic Game, which is why they were "getting upset" when they confuse the Sith Lackeys for the OT Empire... Basically meaning some MMO player thinks they are fighting Palpatine Empire... Why? IDK but yeah....

11. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    C'mon, Palpatine being an evil wizard was clearly just Rebel propaganda.

12. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Oh, that's not Rebel propaganda. Palpatine being a Rodian in Ewok's clothing is Rebel propaganda. :p

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    His Imperial Majesty is not Sith. He's different.

Aw, Rilwen, you and Xany are the exceptions. I have a soft spot for my favorite Sith gals -- but the rest of your ilk are scoundrels and ne'er-do-wells!

14. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Another thing you and he have in common.

15. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    So he's really a Rodian dressed as an Ewok then?

TrakNar likes this.
  16. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Palpatine is obviously a Sorcerer of Tund

17. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    So he's a Croke?

18. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Kriff you AND the horse the Jedi Academy Training Manual rode in on.

Gorefiend, Havac , RC-1991 and 2 others like this.
  19. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    I am so confused

20. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    So is the world, Skaddix, so is the world.

21. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    [​IMG][​IMG]

That should tell you all you need to know.

22. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Somehow the novels would actually have been better with that plot twist… only a little though [face_plain]

23. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    I still don't understand,

24. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    The Jedi Academy Training Manual mentions that Mothma was possessed by the spirit of Exar Kun. :D

25. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Really didn't know that...