main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Episode 7 Do's and Don'ts!

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by burrisjedimaster1, Dec 14, 2012.

1. burrisjedimaster1

burrisjedimaster1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    I just pulled it off the net with a Star Wars Fan art image search

2. JoeyArnold

JoeyArnold Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    can the characters of star wars invent upgrades to their technology, weapons, ships, in future films?

3. burrisjedimaster1

Jul 31, 2002
    I don't see why not!! Maby holographic transmissions improve.

4. JoeyArnold

Nov 7, 2012
    what about inventing star trek teleporting abilities? or instead of just hyperdrive, why not warp nine?

5. burrisjedimaster1

Jul 31, 2002
    No Roddenberry stuff

Do keep Lukes lightsaber green

6. agentkrycek

agentkrycek Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2012
    DO show Leia as a Jedi (preferably a Jedi Master)

DON'T ignore her status as a Jedi (and thus ignoring everything ROTJ set up for her character) in favour of throwing her back into politics and making her a Padme clone

7. Doug625

Doug625 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 9, 2012
    I actually am very optimistic that Disney will not let us down. Disney has made "dark" feeling films before, even much of "Pirates of the Caribbean" has a darker feel than most of the PT. Disney got to where they are today by doing things right and doing it very good. They know what all the fans want, and they want to make new fans as well, and imagine how proud they will be to be known as the company that not only resurrected, but saved a franchise after the mostly disappointing PT

Darth kRud likes this.
  8. JoeyArnold

Nov 7, 2012
    do have ewoks or other cute alien animals

dont have too many cute animals

9. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I didn't know Star Wars had to be saved. I guess the $1,546,010,703 the prequels have made so far really wasn't enough to keep Lucasfilm from going bankrupt. Thank you Disney for saving us all from the evils of George Lucas!

Andy Wylde likes this.
  10. Doug625

Doug625 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 9, 2012
    Oh that's right, because they made lots of money they must be good lol Saving the reputation of the franchise, not saving it financially. Lots of average movies make boat loads of money. The prequels kind of put a "stain" on the franchise for many of us. I liked some scenes but I was very disappointed with all 3. I went to see Episode 4 times at the theater, telling myself after the first 3 times that it couldn't have been that bad, and I felt it was almost my duty to see it again and again but it was really was "that bad" Just my making a new trilogy that feels like it is meant for viewers older than 6 years old, can erase a lot of negative views toward the PT

Heero_Yuy and Darth kRud like this.
  11. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    I agree with the premise of the argument that the amount of money the prequels made doesn't make the PT stellar (though I don't think that's what @ Darth Chiznuk was arguing), but I don't think the PT is as bad as made out to be. Is it OT quality? No, not at all. But, it still surpasses many films and film franchises in the same general genre.

Very few comic book or space adventure sci-fi films meet the quality of the PT (clunky dialogue and all). The PT gets a worse name because of what it is compared to (OT) than some comic book and sci-fi films because they are compared to poorer quality films.

12. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    I think this is one place for improvement, but I really do love it as is. (I hope I don't become the old curmudgeon that doesn't want change b/c I love things the way they are).

13. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Episode 4 is a part of the OT not the PT! ;) I don't think Disney bought Star Wars so they could rehabilitate some perceived bad reputation it received from the PT. I don't think they particularly care what any section of the fanbase has to say about the quality of the prequels. They bought it because of the enormous commodity it has become since the PT was released. Star Wars is everywhere these days and Disney wants in on it. You and others might not enjoy the PT but alot of people did (including me!) hence why people went to see it and why it made such a boat load of money! For alot of people the PT was the movie going experience of their generation just like the SE was for me and the ST will be for the next generation. Just like Luke will be handing off the lightsaber to the next generation in the ST, Disney and Lucas will be handing down Star Wars to our children! We can argue over the quality of the PT all we want, I love it and you clearly don't, but I can guarantee Disney didn't buy SW to "fix it."

Andy Wylde likes this.
  14. GreedoCMZ

GreedoCMZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 13, 1999
    We are also forgetting ROTJ was seen upon release as proof that GL was going soft and gearing his movies towards kids. But since the WWW wasn't around then (even though the Internet was to a small degree) the same complaints that TPM got were levied at ROTJ but didn't fester to the same magnificent degree. It is interesting to me that the OT is seen as being good while the PT is seen as being bad, but with each third film in each trilogy sort of bucking the trend of that trilogy. I like all of the SW movies in their own ways. TESB was the most solid and best paced, and the PT films do have things I hope to not see repeated, but I still like all of them.

15. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    MONEY!

16. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I guess I shouldn't have posted that figure because a few have taken it to mean that I believe box results prove the quality of a film which is not what I meant. My personal opinion of the PT isn't relevent because in the end I don't think Disney cares one iota what peoples opinions of the PT are one way or the other. My point was the PT didn't break the Star Wars brand at all but in fact has strengthened it thus Disney didn't buy SW to fix anything because it ain't broken.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  17. GreedoCMZ

Mar 13, 1999
    A movie making a lot of money doesn't prove it's a good movie but it's hard to attain those figures without good word of mouth. One of my TPM viewings was 8 months after it came out (yes, it was still in theaters then) and the theater was packed and everyone seemed to be enjoying it.

18. Darth kRud

Nov 1, 2012
    All of the criticism Lucas has brought on with the prequels, and he's brought on a TON, is just our imagination. We should all simply uncritically accept and enjoy any and all films we pay 15 dollars to see. Are you some sort of fascist? I could see you marching the movie isles inspecting peoples faces with a flashlight in order to enforce the "total acceptance policy".

Agent O'brien? The prequels were doubleplusgood. I bellyfelt them deep into my core. I'm going to watch the Phantom Menace and stand in front of the TV forming an X with my arms. Just don't take me to room 101 please good sir.

19. Darth kRud

Nov 1, 2012
    Then it must have been a great film. Sorry about my strange judgment ;) But seriously, Phantom Menace attracted crowds no matter what because people had been waiting decades for another Star Wars film. The fact that it sucked so bad is why we don't see Attack of The Clones even making the top 50 highest grossing films when we see The Phantom Menace at the 11'th highest grossing film (not adjusted for inflation). People got turned off by TPM and because of that attendance for Attack Of The Clones went down. After Lucas assured people ROTS would be less childish attendance once again went up but the damage had already been done.

Disney will be facing the same scenario, people will see the first film no matter what but if they make it a lame duck they wont be able to fill theaters in the same way for the next two films so Disney should really ask the question, do we REALLY want to target the films to 6-12 year olds in a condescending childish fashion? Do we really want to take the same approach as Lucas took with the prequels? If they're smart they wont :)
    This is the way Lucas wants the films to be marketed and this is his approach to making the prequels. http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog/2012/feb/02/lucas-phantom-menace-kids-featurette

20. GreedoCMZ

Mar 13, 1999
    So, we're in a wait-and-see mode. If Disney ruins it then everyone will know it was Disney that ruined it. And ruined it again in some people's minds. But we still have to wait and see. Personally, I could see it going either way.

21. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Okay so I'll try to make my point clear one last time because I have a feeling you're just going to continue to twist my words to fit your own argument about how the PT sucked so bad and ruined your childhood when my original post had nothing to do with the quality of the PT. Again I'll say that: My point had nothing to do with the quality of the PT. One more time so you'll understand: My point had NOTHING to do with the quality of the PT. I really don't care what your opinion of the films are and I'm definitely not asking you to care about mine. My original post was in response to someone who said the PT damaged the SW brand in some way that Disney needs to rectify. You can argue to your hearts content about the quality of the prequels but what I don't think is a legitimate argument is to say that the SW brand has been diminished in any way because of the PT. Star Wars is just as popular today as it always has been and that is why Disney wants to make more. Do you understand now. Probably not.

Andy Wylde and GreedoCMZ like this.
  22. Darth kRud

Nov 1, 2012
    The recuring theme is Lucas ruined Star Wars with the childish prequels:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/murray-rosenbaum/will-disney-finally-save-_b_2075889.html

http://www.salon.com/2012/10/31/disneys_4_billion_lucas_deal_good_idea_bad_omen/

http://www.flavorwire.com/342100/how-the-disney-deal-could-save-star-wars

http://www.mania.com/10-ways-disney-could-save-star-wars_article_134549.html

http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/01/showbiz/movies/star-wars-episode-7-george-lucas/index.html

http://badassdigest.com/2012/10/30/star-wars-is-saved/

http://letusnerd.com/2012/11/10/can-lucass-deal-with-disney-save-star-wars/

On and on and on....

23. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Sigh. Just as I thought you really don't understand. Oh, well, life goes on.

Back on topic:

DO have a blend of character developement and great action.

DON'T sacrifice classic SW elements to make it more modern.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  24. Darth kRud

Nov 1, 2012
    You said/typed the below quotes which prompted me, seeing I understood what you were saying, to post links to many articles written to ask the question if Disney can SAVE STAR WARS from the mess that Lucas created with the prequels.

" I don't think is a legitimate argument is to say that the SW brand has been diminished in any way because of the PT"

"My point was the PT didn't break the Star Wars brand at all but in fact strengthened it"
    "You and others might not enjoy the PT but alot of people did (including me!) hence why people went to see it and why it made such a boat load of money! For alot of people the PT was the movie going experience of their generation just like the SE was for me and the ST will be for the next generation."

"I didn't know Star Wars had to be saved. I guess the $1,546,010,703 the prequels have made so far really wasn't enough to keep Lucasfilm from going bankrupt. Thank you Disney for saving us all from the evils of George Lucas!"

25. Darth kRud

Nov 1, 2012
    I just watched this, thought it was hilarious:

Pro Scoundrel likes this.