main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit LEGACY is back!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Volderon, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Those preview images show just how wasted Hardman was on the likes of Red Hulk.

2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Everything was wasted that happened in Red Hulk…. ;) *goess back to reading french comics at work*

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Any recommendations of those that happen to be available in translated form I don't already know about?

4. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    My gut tells me that the backwater junkyard planet will be something new, but I did have the neat thought that they could always take an established planet that hasn't been seen in this era yet and reveal that it's gone totally to hell. [face_mischief]

5. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Valérian and Laureline (fun Sci-Fi, though a little dated)
    Thorgal (kind of like Conan)
    Incal (though you propely have those as they are set in the same "verse" as Metabaron)
    Blueberry (a kind of a-typical western)
    Redbeard (is a pretty good pirate series, though drops somewhat in quality halfway through)

Telerath :D

6. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    An established junkyard planet, you say?

BA-WEEP-GRA-NA WEEP-NINNY-BONG!

7. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    I always thought Ackbar was smiling in that scene.

"Hell yeah! We took down the kriffing Executor!"

darklordoftech likes this.
  8. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I'm lost.

9. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    RE: Sauk, I for one and thrilled at the possibility of a new major character being Mon Cal. And not for the reasons you might think.

For starters, we have really only three character in the EU who were major characters that were Mon Cal. Ackbar, Cilghal, and Niathal. Other than that, there were no major Mon Cal characters who got developed and fleshed out. We see tons of Mon Cal supporting or background characters, but very few who make it into a major recurring status.

Secondly, this Mon Cal isn't a naval officer. That is actually groundbreaking. He is a refuge who used to be an engineer and is now working on a backwater planet in the Outer Rim. Not a admiral, not a Jedi Master, not a naval officer. Don't get me wrong, a Mon Cal naval officer is my favorite character, but the fact that they are using Mon Cals in new ways is a GOOD thing. :D

In my opinion, this is a major point for diversity of alien characters, CooperTFN

--Adm. Nick

CooperTFN likes this.
  10. Parnesius

Parnesius Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 8, 2012
    Ha. The Triumvirate's representative is called Yalta. Delightful.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  11. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Good point! I can't believe I missed that reference. I must of been wrapped up in being all excited about the new Mon Cal character and the Triumvirate. :p

--Adm. Nick

12. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

13. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Also from the CBR article:
    While I'm extremely happy to hear that Cade is "in this world", I'm even happier to see the attention and respect that Bechko and Hardman are giving to John and Jan and the corner of the EU they created. Very cool. :cool:

Sinrebirth likes this.
  14. DarthNefaris

DarthNefaris Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 11, 2011
    There is a record : Darth Tenebrous. The first non-musician Bith! Anyway, having a Mon Cal as a main character is totally new and at least we don't have a Twilek (I love Twilek don't get me wrong but they are everywhere, I want something else for once).

I can't wait to learn about Ania. She seems to have rejected her legacy but that doesn't mean she does'nt have a family out there.

It was obvious we would see past Legacy characters such as Cade : they are of great importance and have the Galaxy destiny in their hands. Sure we would see, or at least hear of Marashiah, The Galactic Alliance, the Jedi Order and the Sith. About that, we're gonna see a Sith as a main ennemy. But since the interview did not say it is a new Sith, I guess we don't have many choices : Nihl (but he's for Cade), Havok (but he's for Draco), Saarai (we don't know on which planet she went so it's a possibility), Talon (as I said many times, I want her to create a cult based on Krayt, having a little army of priests bringing havoc in the galaxy), and Maladi (but I can see her as a common threat to the whole galactic factions).

15. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    I like that we finally have a Mon Cal who isn't involed in the military. It was getting a bit hard to take the hole 'peaceful species' bit seriously when every Mon Cal we meet was a warrior.

I think the Restoration of Dac should;
    1. Take a long time, as in 100 years, make it big make it the final pinical of decades of research and discovery. and
    2. Not be covered for a while. It needs depth, maybe sort series or somesuch.

So for now do the small scale series about just 'normal' people, then do some big thing.

16. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Denon never recovered from losing its status as capital.

Clighal was a senator and a healer, not much military in that even with potential lightsaber fighting abilities.

_____

Actually, what did sell this to me is the art. That's cool classic sci-fi comic art and colouring. Also, sounding blasphemous as it might to most, I think I've seen enough of Duurseema's art to have seen it all. Last night I got into DOTJ again and couldn't help but think that Xesh was just Quin or Cade with yet another hairdo and face painting. I can see how it's a great style for people who dream of visual accuracy in representation, but there's not much magic to be found in it. And I'd rather have magic comic art than "quotable" comic art, for lack of a better term.

And going from there, my cynicism regarding all things new EU makes way for some kind of wondering if this might be the revenge of the Solo legacy, for all (few?) of us who were a bit unhappy about the move away from the established future hero Solo line over to two guys named Skywalker who just came in because the new movies had made the Skywalker name so much more important than those other two guys who actually were set up to put the next generations into the world. Could this deliver a return to the Solos? Maybe, if I can get over the Bat For Lashes hairdo.

RC-1991 and CooperTFN like this.
  17. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Agreed about not having a Mon Cal in the military.
    I doubt that the Restoration will take 100 years, More like 10. Then again, the original Legacy comic addressed the Vong situation so maybe they will do this right. We shall see.

18. jedimaster203

jedimaster203 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 19, 1999
    Well, I just saw an announcement about Marvel's aquisition of the comics publishing rights.

So, if we're lucky, we'll have like one good arc of this new legacy :(

19. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Nah it takes a while before the rights revert. Just no new material. But its going to take a few years and who knows marvel might roll over some of the creative teams.

Still not a real surprise that they avoid Cade and Club to start. Also I am really not sure how someone can be ignorant of what lightsaber is.

20. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Yeah, the first thing I thought when I saw that was "Williamsony!"

21. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    You saw nothing of the sort. Pay closer attention.

22. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    That's the only thing Transformers related I've ever seen that actually didn't make me want to kill something :p

As you can imagine, I've only seen the Bay films.

23. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    G1 and Beast Wars. Watch them.

darklordoftech likes this.
  24. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    If you care about Transformers.

25. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I'm gonna be blasphemous and say that, with the sole exception of the movie, G1 is actually pretty terrible.