main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Do I really want to know?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by princessnikki, Dec 19, 2012.

1. princessnikki

princessnikki Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 8, 2012
    I have really enjoyed this forum since I found it, but I am wondering if at some time in the future I am going to be intentionally avoiding it!

When more information starts to appear about the movies and if information is leaked, I will be asking myself "Do I really want to know?"

When the prequels came out, I made the mistake of trying to find out as much as I could before the films were released at the cinema and there were certain elements I wish I had not known before going to see them. What I don't want to do is make the same mistake again!

If it was possible, I would like to turn up at the cinema on opening day with absolutely no idea of what I am going to see. I would be happy not knowing until the actual day of seeing episode VII if Luke, Leia, Han or anybody else is going to be in it as it may be a way to recapture some of the magic of seeing Star Wars for the first time the way I did back in 1977. Somehow I doubt it will be possible for this to happen as you can guarantee that the promotion for the new movies will be everywhere and almost impossible to escape!

Am I the only one who feels this way or do others share the same thoughts?

Julius Vernon and Echo-07 like this.
  2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I plan on pulling this off. Once the info starts flowing, I'm getting myself permabanned from this forum and I'm crawling back under my rock until I walk into the theater.

Then I'm going right back under that rock until the the next episode.

I'll try to get myself unbanned after Ep IX.

Most people don't try to spoil themselves rotten on a movie, they just go see it when it comes out.

Julius Vernon and Echo-07 like this.
  3. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    Why, yes. As a matter of fact, you *do* want to know.

Force Smuggler and Count Yubnub like this.
  4. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Unfortunately its very hard to avoid things once the info starts to flow, and its not just staying off boards like this.

For the PT, the books were released before the movies (at least for 1 and 2, but I dont remember about 3).

Before Ep I came out, they used photos and clips of Darth Mauls double lightsaber for everything, which I think should have been kept under wraps until you saw it in the theater.

Also, the soundtrack was released before Ep I, and it you looked at the track listing it spoiled Qui-gon's death.

For Ep II, the toys were out before the movie, and the Dooku figure was called Darth Tyrannus.

Echo-07 likes this.
  5. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    You speak of the Law of Inverse Curiosity. Right now the news is still fresh about SW Ep 7 and it's so wide open we seek any info to satiate our curiosity and quell our "fears" about what we hope or do not hope will happen. IE Big 3 returning. Right now because the movie is so clouded and ambiguous its fine to scour for info and rumors.

However, as the movie approaches surely there will be more and more official info and pictures leaked in which case we run into information overload which causes spoilers. I'd say the dropdead time for info seeking without running into spoilers is about December of 2014, around the time of the first trailer. I'm like you -- during the PT I tried to participate without being spoiled and it was hard. I don't want to make that mistake again either.

I found out Anakin lost his arm in AOTC from an interview he did with Leno before the premiere. Leno moved the figure and his arm came off -- SPOILED! One way NOT to be spiled is to avoid the merchadise until after you see the movie. Easier said than done.

Julius Vernon likes this.
  6. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Not only was the book for Episode III out before the movie, but many people including myself were able to get the graphic novel quite some time before it was even supposed to be released. Not that it really mattered anyway since every plot point was already known.

I don't see myself avoiding spoilers for this one any more than I did for the last two, but who knows? Maybe my focus will change over the next couple of years.

7. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I will avoid these boards for 6-12 months leading up to it. Yes, certain things we will all know, e.g. the role of the big 3, from the trailers if nothing else. But I think you can still avoid a lot of spoilers if you don't let your curiousity get the better of you.

Julius Vernon likes this.
  8. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Exactly. We knew Ani becomes Vader, we all got the picture. Episode 7 is much more wide open as far as the story.

9. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I was more referring to the plethora of leaked spoilers available, but you do make a good point about the end of the ROTS being rather predetermined. Perhaps with the PT, that factor made it subconsciously more justifiable to seek out that kind of info beforehand.

10. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I'll wait for the DVD release, and have no intention of avoiding spoilers.

11. JoeyArnold

JoeyArnold Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    No. Disagree. I understand these feelings. But I do not these kinds of things bother me. People don't want to tell me about TV shows, movies, or books, because then that will ruin it for me and I will not go see it for myself, they say. No. Disagree. I am more likely going to see after knowing what is going to happen. It must be the director or producer inside of me. I am an editor. I study films and I do not let knowing things bother me because I enjoy studying the film even when I know what is going to happen in the film because that is why I am seeing it.

It is like watching a basketball game where I know who wins but I still watch because I still want to see them win and films are like that since I want to see the things happen even when I know what will happen because I am all deep inside psychology and I am contemplating making films myself and so I love watching things no matter what.

I will always be on these forums and nothing will destroy the experience for me.

12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Yes, I do want to know. I don't remember much from when TPM or AOTC but I did get the novelization of ROTS before the movie came out.

13. Darth Shibs

Darth Shibs Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    I almost never have the t.v. on although i surf the web. If I avoid most everything I bet I could pull it off. I'd have to have someone feed me a release date so I know when to show up. I'd have to look down at the sidewalk and not look at the movie poster hanging up in the theater on the way in LOL.

14. Death T

Death T Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 12, 2012
    I would avoid the news, but it's just impossible to go completely unspoiled in this Internet age (someone will talk) and if ya can't pull it off 100% what's the point? I'll just have to watch the teasers and trailers as soon as they come out. I just can't help it. =P

Echo-07 likes this.
  15. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Wait, are you saying you won't go to the movies to see it? Is this sarcasm?

16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I want to know everything.
    I AM THE GREAT AND POWERFUL INTERNETS

Force Smuggler likes this.
  17. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I've never done that for any other movie before, and I have no intention of starting now.

18. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I want to know, tell me everything! I want to know, I want to know!

[​IMG]

Dranem likes this.
  19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Cate Blanchett in a Star Wars movie would be great. Cate Blanchett in anything is great.

20. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Make sure you let us know when you're ready to perform these ban-inducing actions... I don't want to miss anything. [face_laugh]

I'll be trying to walk a fine line between satisfying my thirst for knowledge about future SW films and not getting spoiled on anything major.

21. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Chances are we will be splitting the forum into "No Spoilers" and "Spoilers Allowed" once we start getting real plot details.

7SA, 7NS, there we go...

princessnikki and eht13 like this.
  22. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, that's been the historical trend-once we get spoilers we make a non-spoiler forum.

princessnikki likes this.
  23. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    That's exactly what I thought when I saw that too.

24. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    Avoiding spoilers will be far more difficult this time around. Back in the day, there were far fewer sources of information - even less legitimate ones. This was a time before Twitter, Facebook, Youtube, and when our phones only made phone calls.
    Then we all managed to find tf.n and all hell broke loose, of course. :cool: That said, it'll be 7:SA for me, all the way.
    As posted above, the TPM track listing the death of Qui-Gon ruined any chance of being chaste going into the movie...

25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm planning to be spoiler limited but not spoiler free. I want to know enough to have an idea of whether I might like it but not so much that I can recite the lines with the actors.