main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What book are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Community' started by droideka27, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The Casual Vacancy by JK Rowling

2. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    TCV was a good book, but its VERY different from Harry Potter.

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm about 50 pages in and that is so true

4. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah. The descriptions of women's breasts and allusions to masturbating teenagers kind of threw me for a loop.

5. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    It's tough to get through too.

The library bombarded me with books, so I'm setting WOT aside for a bit and reading "The Iron Wyrm Affair" by Lilith Saintcrow. It was recced here, I believe.

6. Specs

Specs Jedi Youngling

Dec 9, 2012
    Let's see....

1) The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan (The first book in the Heroes of Olympus series, which is the sequel series to Percy Jackson & the Olympians. I'm 384 pages in, and I'm liking it.)
    2) Jedi Search by Kevin J. Anderson (Only about 50 or so pages in, but so far, it's good.)
    3) Fables, Vol. 10 by Bill Willingham (Do comic books count? This is a re-read. I'm trying to re-read the whole series before Vol. 18 comes out.)
    4) Invoking The Egyptian Gods by Judith Page (Because witches are never allowed to stop learning. I'm still in the first chapter, which is all about Isis. Loving this book so far.)
    5) Haitian Vodou by Mambo Chita Tann (Still at the very beginning. I guess that's what I get for reading this many books at once. I've been doing research about Vodou online for quite a while, but this is the first book about it I could actually get my hands on. Can't wait to get to the more in-depth stuff.)
    6) Female Chauvinist Pigs: Women and the Rise of Raunch Culture by Ariel Levy (Another book I'm still at the very beginning of. It's about how the sexualization and objectification of women and girls is being marketed back toward us as peudo-"empowerment", and how it's really just the same old sexist crap. Loving it so far. It's actually kind of refreshing to read.)

So, that's my list. I'm probably gonna crack open Good Omens or American Gods soon, too.

7. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Nice! I'm waiting on the sequel series until they're all out. I had a really difficult time waiting the week the library took to get a couple in after I started reading them 8-}

8. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    So I says to myself, "Dude, you are on a cyberpunk kick so go get more Gibson. Go get Virtual Light. It's on the shelves with such permanence to rival Asimov and Clarke. You go to B&N each week and browse the books and it is always there, for years now."

So I go to get it, The Bridge Trilogy.

WTF. It is not there. NOT THERE.

9. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] Sold out during the holiday season, maybe? I'm sure they'll get more in soon/be able to order one for you.

10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Amazon, maybe?

11. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I'm going to give some Elmore Leonard a go, specifically the Fire in the Hole short story collection. I just finished the second season of Justified, and am really interested in seeing the source material for Raylan Givens.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  12. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  13. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I haven't even hit halfway through Les Miserables. :( Though now I'm too stubborn to go find the Abridged version.

14. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    The Silmarillion.

Too many names.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  15. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    Zeno's Conscience by Italo Svevo.

16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It's wierd but in my AP English class we didn't read the book, but my sister who is a senior in high school right now is reading it for her College Prep English class which is supposed to be easier than AP English. So alas, I have yet to read it.

17. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I just got the Wilbour translation today. It's been probably five or six years since I read it. I can't wait to get into it again. This will be like the fifth time I've read it.

18. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes, ending my read-through of all novels and short stories by Arthur Conan Doyle.

Amazing.

19. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Decided to finally read The Histories (Tacitus) all the way through. Finally found a translation that sticks close enough to the original to capture his epigrammatic style so I'm giving it a whirl. He's just as hilarious as I recalled from Latin class.

Misa ab iPhono meo.

RC-1991 likes this.
  20. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    About to start A Feast for Crows.

21. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Bought a paperback copy of Dickens' A Christmas Carol at the local bookstore this week. I've seen various versions of the film but have never read the story. The book also has some of his other Christmas stories. I'll probably start it tomorrow.

22. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    The Blade Itself. A very good fantasy. It's sort of stingy with the world-building, which keeps it lean and mysterious and isn't really a problem (though I did eventually give up and turn to the internet to figure out if the Shanka were supposed to be a whole different species or just a savage race of men). It's got a big cast (more of which came together by the end than I expected), but all the characters feel vibrant and unique, even the ones that are deliberate plays on archetypes. Glokta's a compelling miserable bastard, Bayaz is mysterious smartass fun, and there's nothing better than laughing at what a colossal ass Jezal is -- Abercrombie is very good at blending various tones around his characters, fitting in vicious blood-and-guts battle, mystery, and comedy within one overarching story. As fun as the book is, though, it's looking so far like the sequel is even better, taking the pieces The Blade Itself introduces and moving them into more compelling places, so you'll excuse me if I head off to return to that.

23. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    "The Hobbit". I don't know if you've heard of it. It's about a small creature that lives in a hole and goes on an adventure with a bunch of dwarves. Weird, I know, but you should give it a shot! It's a good read.

"Aren't you a little short for an adventurer?"
    /LM

RC-1991 likes this.
  24. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I'm reading the Bartimaeus trilogy to the 9 year old. So good.

25. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    None.

I just turned in what I think, and hope, is the final draft of my Master's thesis in English Lit. I think I'm going to take a small break from heavy reading.