main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Obscure, Unsubstantiated Rumor Indirectly Denied by Randy: Star Wars comics moving to Marvel?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Fleab88, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
  2. Brenapp

Brenapp Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    My only hope would be that they didn't totally ignore everything established by Dark Horse.

3. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    No....no. That's not true. That's Impossible! :_|

4. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    As I said in the Disney thread, I'm just glad Dark Horse will at least go out on a bang with things like Star Wood and the new Legacy series.

So if sales pick up and get back to the highs that DH was enjoying a few years ago, it might at least give Marvel more reason to continue some of the top sellers, rather than throwing everything out just to do EP7 tie-ins.

5. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    by this point I actually do wonder if Episode 7 will be Star Wars at all except in name only..

sure old actors returning as cameos.. but honestly... will John Williams do the soundtrack? What if he does not last that long, god I hope he will! Hans Zimmer sure is his apprentice and a worthy successor if needed, but... SW without Williams is not Star Wars!

I mean... no Fox fanfare.. no EU.. no Dark Horse.. maybe not even Williams in worst case...

this is like Pirates of the Caribbean 4... a Sequel nobody needed or wanted, Johnny Depp included! at least not a sequel the way it was done, given it was done for the money only instead true to the spirit.

GGrievous likes this.
  6. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    I'm not optimistic.

WE FEAR CHANGE.

Okay, that's part of it, but also there's the fact that currently Marvel doesn't concentrate much on licensed fiction and doesn't give much attention to the licensed stuff it does produce. I'd assume Star Wars would be a bigger deal than usual so I'm not worried we'll get ~no comics~ but I am worried that Marvel's focus on initial sales of floppies vs long term consideration of trade paperback sales, and its demanding sales expectations will see a lot of very safe EP7 tie-in stuff and almost nothing daring like Legacy, DOTJ or KOTOR. Though Zorr is right; if Legacy sells well now that may prompt them to pay it a little more attention.

But I genuinely am concerned about the TPB situation. Marvel publishes trades of its single issue stuff almost as an afterthought and it goes out of print very, very quickly. Given that Star Wars comics sell to both comic fans and Star Wars fans, and that a lot of that second group pick up trades in bookstores not comic shops, it's a troubling attitude.

Don't expect anything like the Dark Horse Omnibus programme. Sure, you'll get omnibuses, but they'll be devastatingly beautiful, enormous, hardbacked coffee-table books collecting the most popular storylines and they'll be out of print in eighteen months, they won't be bookshelf-sized, reasonably-priced paperbacks trying to collect everything with the goal of remaining in print for the foreseeable future.

7. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    So basically only one year worth of Dark Horse SW left? [face_sigh]

Marvel doesn’t pay attention to anything much for that matter, there is a reason why the movies had to save them from bankruptcy twice.

8. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I hope so. I would love Dawn of the Jedi to continue past 2014. I would hope Marvel would continue the top sellers and really investigate the SW universe before they start up. If Marvel did this, they'd have me as a reader again.

9. Sith_Knight087

Sith_Knight087 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 5, 2012
    So that's it then... IT'S ALL OVER PEOPLE!!

10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm pretty much with Becc on this, though her expectation of books being out of print in 18 months strikes me as being optimistic!

It would be a stupid, stupid move on the part of Disney - I know corporate logic is: If it's not broke then break it in order to fix it, but I'd like to think they're smarter than that.

11. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    Marvel bankrupt? ouch... and they given THEM Star Wars? it will tear SW down to oblivion

and I do have hopes and optimism too, just currently I post not that side of myself ;)

what I do also fear is.. where are MARVEL novels? Avengers, Iron Man as novel? it would sell and work well.. but does it exist? not really. not even much for movie novelisations there. so... is this what awaits SW? Disney views it as multimedia and visual, for the family and younger people, like their disney parks do. So... will Adult SW ever survive? or will SW novels decline given fanbase critique for Delrey so that they might even cancel the novel deals alltogether in the future at some point.. especially since novels with their detail are too continuity heavy for the quick movie business with movies every few years and novels limiting them or turned infinities by them anyways soon then so novels turn to fanfiction you pay money for like with Star Trek, whereas comics stick to the movies and never journey much beyond them to wait for the next movie?

their entire so far announced business model scares me! it is predictable and far from what fans want, and ultimately, even if they got hordes of moviepurists and EU haters to support their new waves of merchandise, they will drive SW down and against a tree so to speak with that. For even if the masses are not EU lovers... without the EU, there'd today be NO SW to buy or return to for George. SW would be just another bunch of movies that are cool and ageless but not really a huge expanded franchise worth the sum Disney paid.

12. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I imagine wanting greater creative control over it (especially if they're wiping the EU off the map) might also have something to do with it. From a profit-centered point of view, it would be a fairly reasonable decision, as well, I think.

13. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    We are fans, we do not deal in reasonable, ;)

instantdeath likes this.
  14. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I assumed the EU novels would continue in some form from Hyperion when the current deal with Del Rey expires. That's probably silly of me to assume, but it would make sense to continue publishing EU books right? Although it remains to be seen whether I'll be buying them.

15. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Blegh. I'd like to wait for confirmation from Stradley before I get all hysterical, but I'm definitely not pleased by this move.

16. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    This thread makes me wanna take zoloft...

17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    They own LFL, they already have that!

darklordoftech likes this.
  18. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    There's no such thing as too much control over its products for a business.

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    How far are you taking this then? LFL already has veto over any SW project. What more is required? Determining who works on what projects?

Because if so, what is the practical difference between Marvel and DHC in this respect? They're both effectively intermediaries. One is owned by Disney sure, but seems to have as much autonomy as it did before.

My own suspicion is this is a level of detail the Disney execs are likely not all that interested in, it's too small a piece of the pie - plus there's a lot to be gained with sticking with an established and successful brand rep, which is what DHC have done.

20. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Wut? Bullcrap. Ain't no way Disney will make DH give up the license to Marvel. Marvel is crap and doesn't make good comics. It's false and not going to happen.

I can't believe you people are still buying in to that rumor that Disney bought LFL and that they are making an Episode 7. It's the internets people, IT'S NOT TRUE.

Chewbacca89 likes this.
  21. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Staff control and brand name recognition are probably positives from their perspective, yes. Marvel's focus on sales, as detailed above by beccatoria, would also likely be more in line with Disney's own attitude toward their newly-acquired franchise. Marvel is, simply, better-equipped to fulfill Disney's expectations in this scenario.

22. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Very, very unfortunate, but I think we all (including the good folks over at DH) knew this was coming.

Although it's interesting to read the stuff about Marvel and their policies about trades here. The only major Marvel books I think I've ever read have been their Dark Tower series and the adaptation of The Stand. I thought both were handled pretty well, especially for tie-ins. And both have very mature situations, as well.

My only big complaints are they get sold as hardcovers first (and for absurdly long times as well) and that the collections don't contain any of the cool side-stories and background bits from the single issues. But other than that I've been pleased with those two series. So hopefully Marvel's new Star Wars will be more in line with those projects than its normal book lines.

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm not convinced of that, here's why:

On monthly comic sales, I think you'd be correct.

But on the bigger trades market? Marvel have a dismal, dismal record in this, I'd wager DHC's is a damn sight stronger, the problem is it's hard to acquire reliable data in this area. But there's quite a few cases of not very successful monthly comics making an absolute killing on trades. Brian Wood's DMZ for example.

24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Hint: Buy the big slipcased hardcover omnbuseses of those Steve!

True, Marvel did put some top talent on those projects but is that move likely to be representative of its approach to SW? I don't know. There's nothing to require consistency from them in this respect.

My expectations? $3.99 per issue, double-shipping with 4-issue TPBs at the same price as the existing 5-6 issue TPBs.

25. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    This makes me nerdrage so much about the Marvel omnibuses. I'm relatively new to comics, and would have definitely bought some of the omnibuses that have gone out of print (looking at you, Astonishing X-men and Walt Simonson Thor, which went out of print recently). Who knows, maybe they'll reprint them in a few years.

Esg likes this.