main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Dawn of the Jedi: The Prisoner of Bogan #2 (of 5)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Todd the Jedi , Sep 7, 2012.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I was going to say just that.

2. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Fascinating. This is also the first two people who we know have returned from the moons. How do they determine if someone is in balance or not?

darklordoftech likes this.
  3. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    Fascinating about the Ashla reference, especially from what she had to learn by being there. I'm really enjoying the direction they are going with this.

4. DarthKenny

DarthKenny Jedi Knight

Feb 11, 2010
    Actually, I was hoping that Sek'nos Rath would be the Weapon Master.

5. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Well, we met Rajivari in the last issue.

Kind of unsure how that timeline works out, though. He's going to be a founding member of the Jedi Order at the end of the Force Wars, but he's already an older Je'Daii Master before the Force Wars.

6. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    I believe this is out now so maybe sticky this?

7. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Are Terentas related to Terenteteks?

8. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Outstanding! This is the kind of epic storytelling we've come to expect from John Ostrander. The young Je'daii heroes are really fleshing out nicely, each with a distinct and interesting personality. The Rakatan are gradually being built up as a credible and fresh threat in EU lit, and I can't say enough about the paring of Xesh and Lok - fantastic stuff!! The feeling of a deep mythology is everywhere. I like the parallels between the early Jedi Order and the early periods of religions like Buddhism and Christianity - lots of historical and mythological parallels to dig into. It's unfolding at a great pace and each issue deepens the story significantly. Can't wait for the next issue!

9. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    There are definitely major revelations about Tython and Bogan in this issue.

10. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Definitely another very good issue. The Je'daii are finally starting to catch on to something big brewing, as well as many other plots in motion too.

So it was the Kwa who set up Tython, with a special Tho Yor holocron with a kwa gatekeeper still at Kaleth that only activates when Tasha touches it. At least that answers which ancient species sent out the tho yors.

We also see some ships with Trill heading for Tython in a Rakatan fighter (and some more of the backstory between her and Xesh, and still hard to tell what kind of person Xesh is or will be) and the other Je'daii heading out in Peacekeepers to look in on Xesh and Lok. Although leaving the Forcesaber in Hawk's hands doesn't seem like the best of ideas either, but then there are plenty of potentially... explosive Je'daii plots in motion. Like Shae is wary of the anger needed to activate the Forcesaber, but her master says give in next time. Balance sounds like a nice state, but its much harder in practice, although aside from the Despot War, doesn't sound like these Je'daii have had that many huge problems so far.

If and when things go bad eventually (like with Rajivari, although he's going to be involved in his own war, so wonder how many wars are going to occur eventually, or if it'll just be one big war and later history is just inaccurate). Already wary of Quan-jang, as a while ago, someone noted that in their innocence the Je'daii are just creating random animals like flying rancors... well, we see some more of his creations, and Sek'nos still has some of the better snarky lines.

And of course possibly some of the best art yet (like one particular page, even though in that era it would look really new and frightening, but its a pretty familiar image especially after these last few years). Still one of the most interesting eras, and the plot is moving along somewhat too, just wish the Je'daii weren't so... unprepared for what is probably coming, but guess this is their earliest era after all.

11. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    wow amazing read

also new heights of human diversity have been reached

12. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Pre-Rakatan octahedron-shaped holocrons [face_hypnotized]

13. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Nobody145 Kwa eh? Didn't see that coming.

Makes me wonder if there's going to be a link to Dathomir and all the Mortis related connections mentioned in Book of Sith.

14. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Very, very good. I see I will have to reread the DotJ zero issue again.

I like how the Balance can determined and/or hidden
    Hawk Ryo basically lied about the vision both he and Lok shared in order to end his imprisonment on Bogan.

It's going to be a tough wait until February 27th for issue 3.

Beyond Lok and Xesh, I really do like Hawk Ryo. Of the three, I think he's the hardest to peg as far as which path he might take.

15. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    Read it now and wow, just... amazing! Mindblowing stuff there. The Terenta was a nice touch and the Holocron? Awesome. Its a nice tie to the ancient races in the galaxy far far away though I do wonder if it really is the Kwa who are responsible for this or whether these were just a small faction tasked with shepparding the Je'daii when they arrived on Tython.

16. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Another amazing issue from Ostrander and Duursema! Keep 'em coming!

17. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    It's obvious in hindsight, really. If the Dark Side is giving in to your baser emotions, the extreme of the Light Side is endlessly contemplating every action until you're completely paralyzed by indecision, cutting yourself off from the Living Force. (That's Luke during much of LotJ for me...)

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  18. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Very well said, cthugha. Rereading, you've nailed how emotional the early Je'daii are.

19. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    The holocron activation scene made me cringe a bit with all the "it's so old and it has never - oh, one of the young heroes appears and suddenly it does work". Thinking about it, I realized that I would have had no such problem if this scene had happened in TOTJ, to one of the ancient prodigies like Ulic or Exar. Could it be that the DOTJ heroes all seem a bit less mythical as characters, more down to Earth (for better or worse)?

I hope the crime boss plot will steamroll into the main plot, something like the darksiders using civil unrest of these non-sensitives to create their army as soon as in the third arc. I think DOTJ would work best in the end if they cut out the filler that you'd expect in a monthly format. If they just have lots of subplots and lots and lots of serious and/or sinister looking Je'daii, it might take too long (contract end nonwithstanding) to actually tell the story. I really hope they get this thing moving fast and do not build the world for its own sake. Leave that to other plots to possibly be told later. I'm not even sure what to expect from the Rakatan angle - the Tython system getting mixed up by this one artifact from the outside world would be enough story as it is. I also didn't like the fact that Xesh/Trill is now a plotline of its own (and an emo one at that) instead of just having at least one of these force hounds as a truly menacing menace that might get explored at a different time.

Cronal, RC-1991 and Zorrixor like this.
  20. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    While I appreciate they're probably responding to the criticism of the knee-jerk approach to the plotline in Knight Errant, I have to say I agree with you: as much as I'm loving DOTJ, I can't ignore the fact it has the sword of Damocles hanging above it, which is what is making me wish -- like you -- that it'd just get on with the story like the old classics like DE or TOTJ did, since I'm increasingly worried it'll set all this up... then BAM, bye-bye Invasion, it was nice to know you.

21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Heh, I liked Cade 2.0, or would it be Beta Cade? :p Still, lots of great new characters here, and on top of everything, Shae's hair looks normal!

22. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Are they related to Terentateks?

23. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    I love this series. So much speculation about where everything can go and how it will tie into the future.

Hmm, Bel Zana seems a bit like a redshirt to me. And Jake Fenn is clearly a time-travelling Cade.

I think they might be precursors to Terentateks, since they are said to like eating Force users. They look a lot like them as well and were created by Quan-Jang. Beginnings of the Sithspawn perhaps?

24. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Exactly what I was thinking, except that I'm SURE that Terentas are precursors to Terentateks besides the fact that no one else has mentioned it.

25. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Probably, given the name, slight resemblance and their favorite food. At this time the Je'daii are just fooling around almost randomly with making various creatures, which in later eras is usually the kind of thing Sith alchemists do. It was mentioned that it was during the Despot War and even Je'daii get desperate, but that's not an excuse either (and apparently they didn't kill them, but just decided to move all the remaining ones to Bogan or something like that, not entirely sure what they meant, but I agree with Sek'nos, that was a stupid idea).

Cool to see a holocron activation even if it does rely on the old cliche of these young people being so super special awesome, and without even being particularly clever, its just "destiny", but oh well, its a common thing in many fantasy stories and it answers questions. Also the older Je'daii are looking more and more blind as we see more of them, since the three main young ones are almost chafing at the restraint while their elders look like they're not prepared for what is coming at all. Although those three did see a vision that showed them a glimpse of what is coming, but still, their leaders aren't entirely inspiring confidence either, though to be fair this is the first time they've faced something of this magnitude.

It might not absolutely be the Kwa who set up Tython, but they were at least involved or at least there before, and its not like there are that many ancient races who could have done something like this (the Rakata wouldn't have done something nice like that even if they had been ascendant in that particular time period). Although not sure we've seen the kwa capable of something like this before, but who knows.