main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Why did Yoda stay on Dagobah when Luke went to Cloud City?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Kez-Iban, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Frankakin skywalker

Frankakin skywalker Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 13, 2012
    Yeah i wondered that too. Maybe it's because Yoda and Obi-Wan thought that if Yoda couldn't defeat him, both of them fighting couldn't either.

2. Felicia

Felicia Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    Yoda knew that the Emperor had over powered him by the time he landed on Senate Chamber floor. His light saber was lost and the Jedi Order was decimated. However he knew that his destiny was to help rebuild the Order and he did that by training Luke Skywalker to knighthood. In the Empire Strikes Back Luke is an emotional wreck. He is erratic and he had a failure in the cave. When Luke left Dagobah and Obi-Wan is watching in fear Yoda tells him there is another.

Luke learned a valuable lesson about the Sith and the darkside. Do not under estimate them. If we look at Luke in Episode V and then again in Episode VI he is completely different. He is calm and confident in Return of the Jedi. Yoda told Luke that he should not under estimate the darkside or he would suffer his fathers fate. As far as Yoda going to face Darth Vader with Luke? Yoda already made an attempt to destroy the Emperor and he failed. There is no reason to reveal himself to the Sith. They were not aware of his presence. Even when Luke is on the Death Star in Return of the Jedi Darth Vader does not mention him. He only says Obi-Wan has trained you well. A bit of sadness in Vaders voice as he speaks of his old Master to boot. Yoda was concealing his presence in the Force as to not be found by the Sith and he had done so for over two decades.

Order66Survivor likes this.
  3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    You misheard the line, I think. The actual line is: "Strong is Vader. Mind what you have learned. Save you it can." He's not saying that Luke could save Vader at all just reminding him to remember everything he's learned in the short time on Dagobah. Mostly I think he's warning Luke about the danger he's putting himself in by allowing his emotions to get the best of him and running off to save his friends.

4. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Political situation made things far more difficult - the Jedi attempt to assassinate the Emperor, again? Even if they'd succeeded, Obi-Wan & Yoda (fugitive terrorist fanatics) weren't in the position to somehow take over a regime established by public support. What people seem to forget is that the active Rebellion was only starting to become active at the time of SW/ANH, the civil war hadn't been raging for twenty years - it had been twenty years of the Empire slowly tightening its grip, with most of the galaxy's populace turning a blind eye to what was going on.

There was also way too much risk involved. If Vader & Palps had killed Obi-Wan & Yoda, then Luke would have been utterly adrift, with no one to guide him - except, perhaps, his father. Leia was something of a different matter, but the risk was still there. Point being, Yoda & Obi-Wan were old men, it was far more important for them to resurrect the Jedi, not continue to fight hopeless battles themselves.

DARTHSHAME and Order66Survivor like this.
  5. TheRevanchist

TheRevanchist Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 13, 2012
    You're right.

6. Felicia

Dec 3, 2012
    I feel that the othet is Leia as Obi Wan says to Luke the othet that Yoda speaks of is your twin sister. She will remaim safely anonymous

Order66Survivor likes this.
  7. Order66Survivor

Order66Survivor Jedi Master star 1

Nov 10, 2012
    Like many previous posters, Yoda was near his end and despite his worries and the risk of going to Cloud City, deep down I believe he felt Luke was the galaxy's best hope and didn't think joining him would help the grand scheme of things , most notably blowing his cover.

8. Frankakin skywalker

Dec 13, 2012
    That is one of the best answers i've ever heard.

9. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    I'm pretty sure he only pretended to be crazy to test out Luke's patience and character. He behaved pretty thoughtful from the moment on he revealed himself to be the grand Jedi Master in question. Remember, he's 900 years old, living in a swamp by himself for a mere 22 years shouldn't make someone this mentally advanced go permanently "off the records".

rumsmuggler likes this.
  10. Felicia

Dec 3, 2012
    Yoda waz testing Luke after Luke becomes upset about not seeing Yoda fast enough Yofa suddenly syops and becomes serious amd he says "I can mot teach him."

11. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    Quite simple, they witheld the information on purpose. They were training Luke to be an assasin whose only goal was to kill Vader. (To their credit they didn't think a Sith could be turned back to the good side -- lots of "forever will it dominate your destiny" from Yoda).

12. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    But they knew he was going to face Vader soon. Did they expect him not to tell Luke? Did they expect Luke not to be in shock?

13. FARK2005

FARK2005 Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2012
    In RotJ, Yoda says that "Unexpected this is..." when Luke affirms that Vader told him he was his father. Yoda also says that it was unfortunate that Luke was in such a rush to face him because he was not yet ready to carry that burden. This always indicated to me that Obi-Wan and Yoda did intend to tell Luke the truth eventually (when his training was complete), and that they did not intend for Luke to face Vader until such a time.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  14. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Pretty sure that's not what Yoda meant.

In the script, Yoda is speaking in past tense.

He was talking about what happened in ESB.

15. FARK2005

FARK2005 Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2012
    Yes he is. He is saying it's unfortunate that Luke learned the truth before he was ready to carry the burden - or what do you think Yoda meant?

16. Frankakin skywalker

Dec 13, 2012
    Not trying to be mean, but try spell checking.

DARTHSHAME and Darth_Nub like this.
  17. Frankakin skywalker

Dec 13, 2012
    NOT TRUE

18. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Gee, I always thought it was because there wasn't a seat for him in the X-wing.

19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    They do try to dissuade him from going because "Only a fully trained Jedi will conquer Vader and his Emperor"

And after Luke tells Ben he can't kill Vader, in RoTJ, Ben responds "Then the Emperor has already won".

20. Frankakin skywalker

Dec 13, 2012
    They were trying to get him to DEFEAT Vader and Palpatine. Defeat and Kill are 2 entirely different things. Defeat would be stopping him, disarming him, arresting him, etc. For example, Obi-Wan defeated Vader on Mustafar.

21. kenobifan1999

kenobifan1999 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    better question:

why would yoda go to fight vader on cloud city?

the answer is simple, yoda would be powerless to do anything...

22. kenobifan1999

kenobifan1999 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    yoda lost and obiwan didnt kill anakin.

23. the_sinister_hologram

the_sinister_hologram Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 3, 2012
    Because there was no more room in the X-Wing.
    Imagine how awkward it would have been for Luke to sit on the pilot's chair and Yoda on the floor or on Luke's lap.
    Seriously, don't imagine, it would make you hate food for the rest of this year.

24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    If so, then why would Ben be so upset at Luke's "I can't kill my own father" comment?

25. Chainmail_Jedi

Chainmail_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 26, 2013
    A question I have always harbored regarding Yoda, what if Yoda turned to the Dark Side during his exile on Dagobah? He certainly got a little cookier. There would certainly have been enough grief from his experiences for it to be understandable, and not being able to talk about it to anyone who's alive couldn't help either. Would Luke have used the Dark Side against Vader and the Emperor, fighting fire with fire, or would he have just joined them?