main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC school shooting in Conn.

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yes, the majority of us have also taken philosophy 101 and ethics.

V-2 likes this.
  2. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    For some of you, then, it doesn't show.

3. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Let me guess... part time adjunct philosophy professor (online). We have another one of you--his name is Kawphy... you'd like him.

4. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Don't say his name, harps! It'll summon him!

harpuah likes this.
  5. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

6. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    Yes. Sorry. Not to take away from this child's grief, but there's a reason we don't let children vote or run for political office. It's because they don't really have the mental capacity or maturity to develop reasonable political positions. Pointing that out may make me terribly heartless, but it's still the truth.

7. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    WHOOOSH

lol and you think scott adams (the guy who writes dilbert) is "good, witty"

8. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Who says anybody was asking her to make policy decisions. Her parents more than likely let her pen that letter as a way to allow her to grieve and perhaps get some of her own anger and frustration at her brother's death out in a way, that I think is probably a very healthy outlet for it. I posted that link because it releated to the overall story in THIS thread, not because I do or do not endorse what this young child wrote in her letter. And yes, in MY opinion your pretty heartless for your opinion.

9. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    why did she write it to obams? that guy is already so on board! (meaning he's on a surfboard and he's ridin' the wave of this whole thing all the way into shore)

also coober's looking skeletal these days. what's wrong with coober?

10. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    The people who thought her letter to President Obama regarding gun control policy was worthy of being reported on, apparently.

11. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Yes, they were reporting her story because they think she is qualified to makes laws and not because it's a loving, heartfelt story.

V-2 likes this.
  12. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    Weird how out of all the grief, love, and togetherness to have come out of this event, the "loving, heartfelt" thing that attracted the attention of some people happens to be a letter to a politician they support advocating a law they support. You'd almost think they cherry-picked it because it helps them push their political agenda.

But of course, that would go beyond simply politicizing a tragedy to straight-up exploiting a grieving child for ideological advantage. And anyone who would do that would be a real slimebag.

13. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    you know i really wish people who oppose fascism would stop bringing up the holocaust. STOP POLITICIZING THE TRAGEDY YOU MONSTERS

V-2 and Darth Guy like this.
  14. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Somebody's cherry picking, but somehow given other Conn. related stories I've seen in the media this week, I don't think it's actually them.

V-2 likes this.
  15. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    This isn't the only thing that's attracted the attention of they media. They've shown quite a lot of stories regarding this.

Seems you're cherry picking to fuel your own conspira**** notions.

V-2 and Juliet316 like this.
  16. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    Annnnnd we've reached Godwin. Which is traditionally where I bail on threads.

Bye.

17. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Considering you're the one who brought up Nazis earlier either in this thread or the gun control one, don't let the door hit you in the caboose on the way out.

V-2 likes this.
  18. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    thanks for linking to the wikipedia page on godwin's law im sure nobody would have picked up on a tired internet meme from the 90s otherwise

Point Given , SuperWatto, V-2 and 2 others like this.
  19. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    The results of a small group given weapons training, and then observed under fake attack:

Healer_Leona and V-2 like this.
  20. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    For something so commonplace, you have a pretty deep misunderstanding of it. That's about stigmatizing an opposing viewpoint or user by way of comparison to Nazi ideology. Rogue didn't do anything of the sort. He contrasted the public post-war response to the Holocaust with the public response to this shooting in order to highlight the absurdity of the "don't politicize it" argument. At no point were Nazis even germane to the comparison.

Rogue_Ten, V-2 and Master_Jacen like this.
  21. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Booooooooring. Won't you play with us some more?

22. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Because there are so many loving, heartfelt stories about the right to bear arms that they could have picked.

V-2 likes this.
  23. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    They just had a moment of silence and bell-ringing in Newtown. Rain was chucking it down - seemed appropriate.

24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    So when is the NRA going to make an announcement? I've heard from some that they're doing it today?

25. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I think within the hour.