main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    That sounds like vertigo. It may be related to the car accident, but it's an inner-ear problem. My mom has vertigo, and if she tilted her head or moved her eyes, she'd get dizzy. Standing on a chair was enough to cause it. I sometimes get it about once or twice a month, but I usually thwart it by splashing cold water on my face. Try that and see if it helps. I think there's also ear drops that can help it.

2. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I had that problem and it was from a sinus infection. Fluid was draining down to my inner ears and making me dizzy when I turned my head or went up stairs or did anything to slosh that liquid around in my ears. If you have had headaches or have had sinus infections before you might want to check out that possibility.

3. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    BLAH! I had to dump OpenOffice because version 3.4 will NOT open WordPerfect files. I googled the problem and it's a licensing issue. Whatever. It's a deal-breakers for me. Yet another thing to get in the way of writing.....

4. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I did use openoffice, but then it deleted half of my fic and I could never get it back. I generally stick to Microsoft Word now.

I am proud to say I am done my Christmas shopping and all my wrapping. I feel so efficient. Usually I'm madly wrapping at 1 am Christmas morning.

5. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I use Microsoft Works, currently. Or I'll simply use WordPad. If and when I eventually have enough money for a new computer, I plan to get OpenOffice.

As for my Christmas shopping... it's not done. This weekend, my brother is going to bring wrapping paper so that I can wrap whatever gifts I manage to buy. Even if those gifts are those cheese samplers. Everyone loves to get food, right? But, the lateness of my Christmas shopping is nothing new. My family has a tradition of last-minute Christmas Eve shopping. It's not an intentional tradition—we're just all a bunch of procrastinators. :p

6. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I am done with my shopping. My husband is like, "I haven't gotten you anything yet." That is his way of hinting that I have to give him a product name, UPC code and a map as to where to buy my present. I am not that hard to buy for, go to BAM and buy me something with the words STAR WARS on it. Make sure you keep a gift receipt in case I already have it...or ask your 12 or 13 year old sons who have my Amazon.com password and can access my wish list. I know I am being stubborn, but if I know exactly what he wants for Christmas...why is he clueless about me? Right now I want to massage gift certificate. I can use a massage.

7. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I'm hoping to get into town tomorrow so I can do some shopping. Mainly, I need to get cards that aren't snarky. Snarky cards are fine for friends ans my brother, but not necessarily for the rest of the family.

8. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    I haven't finished my shopping. Ive no idea what to get my dad. My mom subtly hinted to me during a commercial one afternoon that she wanted this coffee/tea maker that can be found at Bed, Bath & Beyond or Macy's. Now if only I can remember the name of the damn thing.

9. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Possibly a Kurig or something like that?

10. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
    Bahahaha this is basically me with my husband. I am terrible with gifts- picking out or deciding what I want, if anything. I finally had a revelation yesterday and told him to just get me the Star Wars Essential Atlas. He practically had to pry it out of my hands when I came across it in a store a few months ago.

11. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    Nah. Wasn't one of those machines where you pop a one cup thing in it. It could make a pot of coffee and tea at the same time.

This message brought to you by the letter S and by the letter W.

12. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Lol. Me too. I used to be the hardest person to buy forfor Christmas, but since my love of Star Wars and other things nerdy has grown, I am now the easiest. And I ask for gift cards for book stores from the older people in my family so I can just go by the books I want that come out throughout the year. This year I think I am going to invest in my first 'guide book' The Reader's Essential Companion.

13. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I have the hardest time finding gifts for people, even people I know really well. I've been planning on making gifts for most everyone, but I'm no where near finished and I work the 22nd through the 25th. (I'm really not looking forward to that!) 8-}

14. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Well everyone, I came home from running a few errands, and find out my son almost burned the house down! He had decided to deep fry some frozen french fries, and wound up setting it on fire. Thank God he didn't catch himself on fire. His hands are covered in soot, as is the microwave that is above the stove, and the ceiling. One corner of the microwave is melted!

He's in boy scouts, and the training they gave him allowed him to have the presence of mind to cover the pot the oil was in.

15. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    I take it he dropped frozen food in sizzling oil which then splattered into an open flame cause ice and hot oil don't mix well?

Reminds me when my niece burned my brother's kitchen. She was cooking something in oil, it splattered into the open burner and instead of putting a lid or baking soda over the flame, she threw water. XD

This message brought to you by the letter S and by the letter W.

16. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I ordered my sister's present online two weeks ago. It turned up today and it turned out they'd sent the wrong thing. There's no way I'm going to get this sorted in time for the correct present to arrive, which just sucks as I would've had plenty of time to sort it out had it arrive last week when it was supposed to! Seriously not happy! :mad: :_| :mad:

17. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    That's precisely what happened.. it was frozen french fries. And he put water on it first, then baking soda then a lid. I just thank God he's alive and unharmed.

It's going to be fun cleaning the soot off the ceiling. :oops:

Awe, I'm sorry to hear that. Well, I'm sure your sister will understand. [:D]

18. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    My brother's gift arrived, so he's officially shopped for. That just leaves... his wife, my half-brother and his wife, my niece and nephews, my mom, my dad, my grandma...

I do hope everyone loves getting cheese samplers, chocolate, bath-and-body sets, and the kids are getting a game.

19. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Oh dear hopefully she'll understand. Wrap a picture of it with a letter explaining what happened - kinda like Kenner's empty box campange back in 1977. I ordered all my online gifts back in October. I avoided duty fees because some stuff came across the border and it all got here in time. I only bought a few things off the Internet but next year I think I'll buy most if not all of my gifts online. Sure shipping can add up, but I avoid the crowds and the cold and you can find much more intresting things.

Bah, that sucks. My best friend works in a care home and since she has the lowest seniority, she is working from the 22nd to the 27th straight, and she thinks she might have to work the 30th, 31st and the 1st. And my other best friend is currently in Africa, so I have no one to save me from my insane family.

20. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    By some miracle, production has decided to give us Christmas eve off in addition to Christmas day- I was definitely not expecting that. But other than that, I get to watch as everyone else in the company goes home for the holidays, and gets paid pretty much the exact same amount to stay home as I'm going to be paid to stay here. [face_plain]

They've already started throwing beer at us. This is going to be a fabulous week.

21. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Beer makes everything better! [​IMG]

22. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I much prefer vodka myself. It will be my first legal drinking year, so I am no longer on baby-sitting duty New Year eve! I don't drink often, and when I do, it's not much, but I did drink last Christmas. It takes the pain from being around my step-grandmother away.

23. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I don't drink too often, either. This evening, I had a beer, just for the hell of it. Christmas Eve, though, is my half-brother's Christmas Eve Happy Hour, where we all gather around and sample various artisan brews. My sister-in-law tends to get drunk, then, whereas I've been able to hold my alcohol pretty well, despite not drinking very often.

24. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    . . . Where on earth do you work?

25. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I'm a lightweight, so it doesn't take much for me to get a good buzz, but I have a fast metabolism so I've never had a hangover and if I drink earlier in the evening, I can be sober by the time I go to bed. Life is good and my sister hates me for it. Apparently my father was the same way and my mother could not stand it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.