main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Obscure, Unsubstantiated Rumor Indirectly Denied by Randy: Star Wars comics moving to Marvel?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Fleab88, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    That was a long time ago in a marketplace far, far away!

2. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    I bet Disney couldn't resist to create a character called Mickey....

Robimus likes this.
  3. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    Ugh, I like marevl and i admit they have been total creativly garbage for a while.

I know many fans of the 70's like to diss the 90's era, but they had good characterization in books like Generation X, X-force, and most books that decidet to slow down and explore the motivations and inner workings of its cast. And the Paramount subbrand "Star Trek: Star Fleet Acadamy" was good as well.

This current regime under Quesada and now his lacky Alonso could be generously considerd creativly bankrupt.

Peter Davids X-factor is a fun to read, Avengers Acadmy is intresting, and I heard good things about X-force (seperhero wet works squand is just not my thing). Most of their superhero books come down to "Event Pices" and treading water till big summer crossovers happen.

What they have done to the Cross Gen property...is a pale shadow of what crosgen was, their recreation of Mystic was forgettable if you want to be polite.

I would love to see Peter David on a starwars title, but not the rest of their writers.

4. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    Based on some of the posts you would think the Mayans were right about today...

Zorrixor likes this.
  5. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    I am hoping some one will make the anouncment they discoverd the formula for FTL travel or Gravity control but "I ain't holdin' my breath"

Ohhh, The mayan day where they would have to buy a new calander, well thoes things do look heavy. Must be quite a bother.

6. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Ah this title is more appropriate

7. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    Sure, they love the fact they can reprint what they've already paid for in single issues and recoup extra money by selling it in trade. A quick way to resell what they've already sold once - it's the same psychology as double-shipping, I'd guess - the desire to sell more without really considering the long-term repercussions on the customer and buying habits (I do find myself wondering if Marvel ever expected a readership of any appreciable size to develop who only waited for the trades rather than buying it twice).

I think part of the issue here is the fact that we're blurring the boundaries of the fact that "graphic novel" was originally a term used for more serious, "mature" storytelling intended to be differentiated from serialised superhero comics. Vertigo was instrumental in the 90s in terms of exploiting - and indeed creating - the OGN market, and yes, in also serialising it on a monthly basis but still creating a TPB with the cache and presentation of an original graphic novel.

Marvel may have assisted in creating the mainstream practice of bundling up a bunch of single issue superhero comics and reselling them as a trade, but unlike other publishers, their forays into OGNs, or that hybrid - the "indie" book that sells better in trade to the bookstore crowd than the comic store to the superhero crowd - have always been brief and sparse. At least in the last few decades. And it's those books, and OGNs, not Marvel's TPBs, that rule the trade charts.

Marvel treat the trade market like a freebie add-on, not like an actual market to be approached on its own terms. Which is fine, they're clearly a solvent business with their own strategies and they make a lot more money than me! But I think that qualifies as not really caring about it beyond the free money they can make by throwing out a trade for a few months before allowing it to fall out of print.

8. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Well, no one was using that "free money" until ten years ago. Remember the dark years when TPBs were the exception? I live in Spain and was able to find the first Uncanny X-Force TPB a few months after the last floppy was released. That's all I, and most trade-waiters, care about: that they put everything into trades, and that they are good quality.

Who cares if they don't publish OGNs and never top the monthly trade charts? How does not having Star Wars OGN hurt the franchise? We've never had them.

9. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    >Randy confirms the rumor is likely bunk
    >Discussion about Marvel continues

10. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    >Esg posts in thread

BoromirsFan, RC-1991 and CooperTFN like this.
  11. beccatoria

Dec 8, 2006
    Well, that wasn't the argument I was presenting. I think things have gotten sidetracked into a broader discussion of the trade market, when really all I'm talking about is how Marvel's current attitude to the trade market may affect their attitude to a potential Star Wars license. They let trades go out of print very quickly and don't often bring them back into print. If this attitude is maintained in respect of the Star Wars franchise, which owes a much larger proportion of its sales to otherwise non-comic-reading people buying trades in Barnes & Noble than Marvel Universe superhero books do, it will be affected negatively. Not only will sales of the trades fall due to lack of availability, but if Marvel chooses not to take trade sales into consideration in terms of their choices for cancellation (which they historically do not do with their superhero books), then Star Wars will appear to be less profitable than it is. This is the company that routinely pulps warehouses full of trades if they don't sell because they don't want to pay for the storage.

So no, I don't really care about Star Wars OGNs or how Marvel generally do in the trade charts. I just care about whether they'd mismanage the Star Wars franchise since they seem focused on part of the market where it doesn't perform well. That's all this is about.

Though I stand by my statement that, comparatively speaking, Marvel doesn't care about the trade market.

12. beccatoria

Dec 8, 2006
    Well it's still a future possibility. I'm very glad that the rumours seem to be just that, but it doesn't mean discussion about Marvel is irrelevant, it's just, now, thankfully, more hypothetical than it seemed a day ago.

13. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Is what modding in this site has come to? Poorly done personal insults and even poorer attempts at wit?
    Okay I welcome a actual logical reason about the continuation of the discussion

14. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Okay, I see your point, beccatoria. I was thinking of Marvel's beautiful Essential lines, for example, and not getting how anyone could be against that. But I'm going to agree about their TPBs being around for too little.
    I'm not modding you. I'm interacting with you at poster level. If you are not up to it, you can post one of your anime faces and be done with this thread, but (for once) don't post poorly recooked snark because you don't care about a thread and then whine about being told to stop it. Got it?

BoromirsFan likes this.
  15. beccatoria

Dec 8, 2006
    Oh, no, no worries there, only people with no souls have a problem with the Essential line. ;)

Plus, for all the issues I do have with Marvel's business practices, they threadbind their hardcovers, which I really, really, really wish DC would do more often. *glances in ire at Fables Deluxe Editions*

16. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Wait you actually accusing me of snark when...Jesus your double standards just went trough the roof

And who the hell's whining. The only complaint I had was the continued discussion about something that was denied outright and you come in here with a holier then thou attitude and borderline trolling you often partake in

17. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    >still not getting it

BoromirsFan likes this.
  18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Thanks, that just helps me avoid one source of temptation! :) What I wish Marvel would get right is the severity of their binding, sometimes the pages fall open properly, other times you have to smack the book around to get the same effect!

Best binding? Hellboy Library Editions!

19. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    Marvel has been crap lately.

"Will you ever make Miles meet Peter Parker."

"If we ever do that we will have officially run out of ideas"

LOL.

And Dark Horses Facebook said to stay tuned in the new year for a response on these rumours. They cant say anything as per request by Lucasfilm before theb1st of January.

CeiranHarmony likes this.
  20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    To be fair to Marvel there are several years between those two announcements, there was a good Newsarama article on it too. Personally I found Spider-Men to be an effective coda to Bendis' Parker run, story worked well and Pichelli's art was gorgeous, but then I read it in collected OHC format.

21. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    January 1st? OoooooooooooooOOOooooOOoOOOOOOhhh!

Will Dark Horse become a Marvel imprint? Whatever it takes to keep Dark Horse.. by comic budget stays with them, even if they loose SW which is unlikely given recent comments. :)

22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    No, DHC will not be bought out or taken over by Marvel - just don't see it happening. Marvel buys out DHC's SW contract? Certainly possible, but probable? Quite a different question..

23. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Yeah, that's not really what happened. And like Ben said, the story in question actually kicked a large amount of ass.

That could not be less plausible. :p

24. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    That's very interesting information. I suppose it does make sense, from a certain perspective, but it seems so strange to me that Marvel wouldn't see a market for TPB's beyond the people who rebuy them for the sake of having their single issues collected. I'd always imagined a large purpose for the TPB is to both get new readers up to speed, and to keep acclaimed runs collected for sake of preservation (though I suppose Marvel do do that, to an extent, with stuff like Astonishing X-men).

Personally, I'm not sure how a comic reader of the 90's would have gotten up to speed without existing TPB's. Of course, I'm heavily biased in this area, because I don't like buying single issues, and I like to know everything that comes before a story I'm reading... most readers can just roll with it, I suppose. I remember trying to get into Spider-man in the early 2000's, picking up an issue here and there, and being so lost that I would never return for the following issue.

I guess that might be a type of generation gap talking. With the internet, it's incredibly easy to get caught up. Spoils us, it does.

25. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Marvel in the 90s gets slammed not because of its comics overall during the decade, but what happened by the end. Marvel was barely afloat by then, and with good reason. I'm not the biggest Quesada fan, but the idea that popular brands will sell without having a decent artist or author didn't work out the way they hoped - and bringing in acclaimed ones (and ditching the hoary Comics Code) was the best thing they could do. (And then they got bought out, and actually made movies that sold money, which certainly helped ;))