main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I drank enough to get a buzz and a hangover in the same night, all before I went to bed. I think it took about five hours to metabolize that beer. And the hangover wasn't much more than simply feeling blah, which went away within an hour, anyway.

2. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    I can't drink, even if I wanted to. I have a crapload of medications I need to take, and drinking alcohol when you have Lupus just isn't a good idea in general. I'm especially forbidden from drinking red wines and grape juice because of the blood thinning properties.

5 AM where I am and the world's still here.

3. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    I've been drinking one glass of white wine after dinner. There is a study that says white wine is good for the lungs.

4. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    I'm allowed white grape juice, and green grapes. But not purple or red grapes. Which is fine 'cause I loathe Concord grapes/juice with a passion.

5. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    I don't drink because a) I don't like the taste of alcohol and b) the person I become when drunk is . . . er, embarrassing, to say the least.

One more hour till Friday ends over here in Japan. So far, so good.

6. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    I rarely drink but when I do and i drink enough to get drunk everything is hilarious.

World is still here, but then again they do say the alternate date is Sunday. People could never agree if it's the 21st or the 23rd. Heh.

This message brought to you by the letter S and by the letter W.

7. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    Personally, I always figured the 2012 thing was the Mayan equivalent of the Y2K bug. If only they'd stuck around for the upgrade . . . :D

8. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    LOL actually, it's just that they ran out of numbers. The Mayans couldn't count past December 21, 2012. [face_hypnotized]

I don't drink enough to get drunk, usually. One time, though, I forgot I hadn't eaten for almost four hours, and I did a wine tasting at Trader Joe's... something I'd done many times before, and all of a sudden I was getting very light headed and felt like I was gonna fall over. They had me sit down, and I was all confused, wondering why it was affecting me that way since it had never done that before, and another person who was also doing the wine tasting asked me when I'd last eaten. Then I put two and two together and said, "Oh! Stang! It was four hours ago!"

Yeah, I swear in Star Wars lingo... better than saying "OMG" or "LOL" in RL. :p

9. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Lol. I've said kriff in real life on a number of occasions.

Also, someone once told me the alternate date for the end of the Mayan Calendar was the 26th, but I think they were just confused.

I think we should all pretend 40 years from now that the world did end and we are the survivors who teraformed another planet. It would be a great story for the grandkids.

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  10. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    That is the best idea I have ever heard! We should maybe add some sort of method for keeping most people alive as well, but that might complicate things a little.

On a less apocalyptic note, my presents for my brother, his wife, and his son, are all wrapped! Just need to put names on them now, but that can wait until tomorrow.

11. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    I work for a visual effects production company. Normally the entire film industry shuts down between Christmas and New Years, but for movies with release dates early in the year, the post houses end up working through the holidays more often than not. Which is fair, considering we're delivering mid-January, so we can't afford to just take a week off three weeks from the end.

So if you want to make our misery seem justified, go see Oz: The Great and Powerful in March. :p Not that I'll ever see any of the money, but the pain and sorrow are a little less acute when I know the movie is at least doing well....

12. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    1. Cool! 2. I was planning on seeing that already, actually. So now I have more reason.

What is it you do there, if I may ask? I've worked costuming and makeup in film and theatre, mostly in college.

13. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    The holidays threw a bunch of my plans by the wayside. I need to get into the lab to get bloodwork and urinalysis done, and make an appointment with my doctor to do blood pressure readings. In the meantime... I should stock up on my cranberry juice.

I want a job... DWH, is your company hiring? I'd love a job in the film industry. Currently, though, I'm planning to go down to Schindler and see if they have openings for small parts assembly or general labor, and I should tell them that I'm disabled, as hiring me would be a tax credit for them.

14. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000

Coool. Like Dantana, I was planning on seeing it as well. Which is a huge thing for me since I abhorr Wizard of Oz with a passion, so that says something about the film having caught my attention.

15. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Currently, I'm in a department that wears many hats, but primarily I'm a data and render management technician. I've been forced into mainly a disk management role on this show, which is my least favourite task in part because it's often like watching paint dry, but it's been all sorts of exciting (though not usually in a good way) this time around, so that's something. What I'm training to transition into, however, is digital hair and cloth simulation, which is tons of fun. Mostly, it's a question of when there's an opening in hair/cloth at the same time I'm able to be released from my job on a show. They've already tried to steal me away once, so yeah. I'm looking forward to making the jump. :D

TrakNar, we're usually hiring, but the question is what would you want to do? That's what's always changing.

16. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I guess it would largely depend on where it's located. I have no car and I doubt you're anywhere near Gettysburg, so I would have to move.

17. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Ugh, just found out that not only do I work the 22nd-25th (4, 12 hour shifts in a row is brutal... at least to me) but then I also work New Years Eve and New Years Day. :( But I'm on vacation for 12 days starting on January 7th, so I guess I can make it. ;)

Glad you at least get a few days off DWH! Sucks that you can't go home though. I get stuck in the same boat, I live too far from 'home' to go for a day or two and we can never take vacation around a major holiday.

I want a job where fun is had while at work! My roommate had a Nerf fight at his job yesterday, they go on 'field trips' and decorate each others cubicals when they go on vacation.

18. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I just want a job, period. And Schindler pays well. Granted, my schooling will go to waste, but oh well. It's been going to waste for years.

19. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Don't worry, your not the only person in the world who wasted time and money on education and then never used it. I know a guy who got his masters in mathematics. He's currently working at Future Shop.

20. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    As long as one is making money, then I guess it doesn't matter. These days, many HR departments don't even care what kind of degree you have, just as long as you have a degree. You could be going for a marketing job, but have a degree in marine biology, and the HR department won't care. If you can still do the job they're hiring for, that's all the matters.

So, anything art related would be a side job and my day job would be a general laborer. Oh well, not as if I don't mind that kind of work. People leave me alone, I do my work, and if it's mind-numbing enough, I can plot up fics.

21. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    I studied chemistry and got administrative work as a civil servant. A new study brought me to where I am working now and that's in the archives. And chemistry came to good use when I became a volunteer firefighter in june 1992. After four years of study I became a member of the hazmat team. Januar 1, 2013 I will be retiring from the work as a volunteer at the firedepartment because my work as an archivist leads me to other places in our town.
    Writing and art is just a nice pastime for me and includes often things from my work and firefighting experiences.
    I used my old helmet as a reference to draw my new character in his fatigues. You can see him at fanart and in the two stories [Story names removed]

Mav Edit: Per the rules of the social thread on the first post, please don't mention specific stories.

22. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to have a job, it's just not the one I want. Problem is, I don't know what I want to do. Everything I get into, I love in theory (love it in school, love learning about it) but in practice I get bored very quickly.

23. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I would love to have a job that was fun to do. I am a pensioner right now. My husband said he was "never going to work again" after retirement. After a few months he started to drive me crazy at home, so I got my Real Estate License so I could get out of the house. Then he got bored and got a job teaching at the local college for a few hours a week. I tried volunteering, but now that my kids are in a charter school I have to drive them there and back every day, so that curtailed the volunteer job I was doing in my actual field of biology. Now I volunteer with the scouts which is fun.

24. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    As long as it pays well, I'll take whatever job I can get. Well, as long as it pays well and doesn't drive me nuts and doesn't require me to deal with people. Stick me in a cubicle or mail room or stock room, shove me on the factory floor, outside holding a sign, off by myself cleaning bathrooms, I don't care. So long as I get paid for it and I don't have to deal with people.

Well, all right, there is possibly one job that I wouldn't mind dealing with people in... Law enforcement. Of any kind. I wouldn't mind dealing with people then. I could help them or haul them in.

25. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Merry Christmas to those who celebrate it! I spent Eve with nephews and parents and siblings and then left before things got vicious, which always happens on holidays. My parents liked the book of my photography that I put together. My nephews loved their toy trucks. My dad and sister-in-law put together a MASSIVE project that catalogued his side of the family for 36 generations. I can't wait to read the book they printed out for it as well as all the files on my little flash drive that apparently has 800 MB of files on my family history. Now to go to sleep for a while, have stocking stuff and breakfast and presents, go to Les Mis after dinner and come home to watch Doctor Who.

RK_Striker_JK_5 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.